Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Conference Realignment Discussion


TFloss32
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Fantastic news. How ya been Doc? Wish you were posting more here.

When you say the Big 12 will have new members – are you saying in addition to the teams they've already added?

Would you say that item 1 you said is directly caused by item 2?

#1 - from what I have been told, UT does not intend to play any member of the new Big 12 and the SEC and ESPN will help mitigate any penalties incurred (if any) when we leave.  I haven't heard what OU will do.

#2 - it's not a reach to know the Big 12 will add more teams and they will come from the PAC.  UT doesn't really care because we won't be here when it happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, doc longhorn said:

#1 - from what I have been told, UT does not intend to play any member of the new Big 12 and the SEC and ESPN will help mitigate any penalties incurred (if any) when we leave.  I haven't heard what OU will do.

#2 - it's not a reach to know the Big 12 will add more teams and they will come from the PAC.  UT doesn't really care because we won't be here when it happens.

One of the proposed SEC schedules shows UT playing tt annually in a non-conference match-up. Does this mean that we won't do that as well? ...or, is this referring only to 2023 games?

Playing the tortilla throwers annually doesn't really excite me. They might consider that game a rivalry, but I don't think we do. Ags, ou, arky...now those are rivalry games I look forward to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, UTfish said:

One of the proposed SEC schedules shows UT playing tt annually in a non-conference match-up. Does this mean that we won't do that as well? ...or, is this referring only to 2023 games?

Playing the tortilla throwers annually doesn't really excite me. They might consider that game a rivalry, but I don't think we do. Ags, ou, arky...now those are rivalry games I look forward to. 

I think Texas-Tech signed a deal to play one another in OOC games. Don't recall how long it lasts or when it takes affect. UPDATE – disregard, I can't find anything on the net about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doc longhorn said:

#1 - from what I have been told, UT does not intend to play any member of the new Big 12 and the SEC and ESPN will help mitigate any penalties incurred (if any) when we leave.  I haven't heard what OU will do.

#2 - it's not a reach to know the Big 12 will add more teams and they will come from the PAC.  UT doesn't really care because we won't be here when it happens.

Doc....good to see you again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I think Texas-Tech signed a deal to play one another in OOC games. Don't recall how long it lasts or when it takes affect. UPDATE – disregard, I can't find anything on the net about it.

It has been discussed quite a bit but I don't think anything official. 

Playing them does nothing for me. It's a pretty one-sided rivalry. One of those games that they will treat as their super bowl and we treat as our 8th biggest game of the year. Our fans gain nothing by visiting lubbock every other year. 

Assuming the new schedule has 3 OOC games, I'd rather use 1 of them on a different P5 school on a home and home basis (could be Texas Tech periodically). 1 on a Texas based group of 5 team (Rice, UTSA, Texas State) type and then the 3rd on another group of 5 school, perhaps in a good recruiting locale (Tulane, ULL, ULM, types). I do like that we do not play FCS teams but I wanted be shocked if we start doing so once in the SEC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2022 at 11:26 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

And the Pac12 has visions of poaching a couple of Big12 schools. Should be interesting. Neither conference really has any leverage here. If you honestly asked BYU if they'd rather travel the west coast instead of Florida, West Virginia, Iowa, etc., I bet they'd take the west coast.

BYU, won't ever go to the PAC-12 do to  them being a religious church  school. Not only that, but  they frown on the fake alphabet soup and conservative values that goes against The UC BOR, thus Cal and UCLA, Stadford, and adding the communist thoughts and beliefs from the Oregon schools.  Thus none will ever be allowed to join to Big 12. But the AZ schools, with Utah and Colorado with possibly the Washington schools to basically end the PAC-12.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, david ficken said:

BYU, won't ever go to the PAC-12 do to  them being a religious church  school. Not only that, but  they frown on the fake alphabet soup and conservative values that goes against The UC BOR, thus Cal and UCLA, Stadford, and adding the communist thoughts and beliefs from the Oregon schools.  Thus none will ever be allowed to join to Big 12. But the AZ schools, with Utah and Colorado with possibly the Washington schools to basically end the PAC-12.

Stanford is a Catholic school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I think Texas-Tech signed a deal to play one another in OOC games. Don't recall how long it lasts or when it takes affect. UPDATE – disregard, I can't find anything on the net about it.

https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/texas-and-texas-tech-agree-to-annual-non-conference-matchup-post-longhorns-sec-exit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2022 at 5:09 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

David Garvin once held the #1 spot. That was due to the infamous "Gotch Yarbrough" incident which I witnessed in real time spanning over a week or so.

Some poster totally made up a recruit from Canada which he named "Gotch Yarbrough" thinking Garvin would eventually see the "Gotch Ya" in Gotch Yarbrough.

But no. A few days later Garvin included "Gotch Yarbrough at #44 or some such in the revised rankings.

It put him out of business and was a stain on UT.

 

SHA

The person who made up that recruit was Jerry Scarborough. For many years he had a longhorn newsletter and pay line service. I think he called it TruOrange. It was one of the all time trolls. 

I’ve talked to Jerry frequently. Unfortunately he became afflicted with Alzheimer’s. Not sure if he is still with us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

SHA

The person who made up that recruit was Jerry Scarborough. For many years he had a longhorn newsletter and pay line service. I think he called it TruOrange. It was one of the all time trolls. 

I’ve talked to Jerry frequently. Unfortunately he became afflicted with Alzheimer’s. Not sure if he is still with us.

I subscribed to TruOrange for a few years. If Jerry pulled that off, it certainly worked like a champ. Garvin flat out fell for it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, longhorn_mig said:

 

Seriously though, this more or less paves the way to the very same situation they're already in.

Likely, the Big 10 divides itself into pods. Of course, there will be a West Coast Pod with the Cal teams (4), Oregon and Washington. More or less the Pac 12 again.

Winner will play an East Pod champ for the title, more or less like the Rose Bowl has been for decades.

Sometimes its funny how we try to change and end up with very much the same thing.

I would think this would enable Zona, Zone St, Utah into the Big 12, where there will probably be a West Coast pod. lol

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Seriously though, this more or less paves the way to the very same situation they're already in.

Likely, the Big 10 divides itself into pods. Of course, there will be a West Coast Pod with the Cal teams (4), Oregon and Washington. More or less the Pac 12 again.

Winner will play an East Pod champ for the title, more or less like the Rose Bowl has been for decades.

Sometimes its funny how we try to change and end up with very much the same thing.

I would think this would enable Zona, Zone St, Utah into the Big 12, where there will probably be a West Coast pod. lol

 

But it’s the Pac 6 not the Pac 12. The west coast pod has 6 teams and the east has 14. Don’t think that’ll work. Probably just play your conference games and the two highest rated play each other. 
 

And the Big 12 would probably add Colorado as well.

 

Did you buy ocean front property in Arizona? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Wayne said:

But it’s the Pac 6 not the Pac 12. The west coast pod has 6 teams and the east has 14. Don’t think that’ll work. Probably just play your conference games and the two highest rated play each other. 

Oregon St and Washington St would be the only ones missing from the original Pac 8.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2022 at 8:50 PM, doc longhorn said:

#1 - from what I have been told, UT does not intend to play any member of the new Big 12 and the SEC and ESPN will help mitigate any penalties incurred (if any) when we leave.  I haven't heard what OU will do.

#2 - it's not a reach to know the Big 12 will add more teams and they will come from the PAC.  UT doesn't really care because we won't be here when it happens.

I meant in 2023.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2022 at 1:35 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

Stanford is a Catholic school.

Really?  As long as I have been watching football, I never knew that about Stanford.  Just proves you are never too old to learn something new.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2022 at 1:58 PM, longhorn_mig said:

 

Trying to figure out how they would schedule that.

If the 6 west coast schools played each other every year, and also wanted to play all of the other 14 teams every other year that would imply a 12 game conference schedule.  Not sure how likely any of this is, but if all of the regular season games were conference games that would make Notre Dame scheduling very challenging. 

I'm skeptical, but in the end it likely comes down to money.  If the current B1G schools believe this is a financial win,  then it's certainly possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...