Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Conference Realignment Discussion


TFloss32
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 9/7/2021 at 7:53 AM, Wayne said:

Notre Dame being able to be in the ACC Championship game was just for last year.  They became a member for one year last year because most of their games on original schedule were cancelled due to COVID.  As a result they played a full ACC schedule and were eligible for the championship game.  They are not eligible this year.  They just play the five games in the agreement. 

As far as bowl affiliations, Notre Dame doesn't need much help.  But most bowls, with the exception of the playoff games are just beauty contests.  So I don't care who goes the Belk Bowl, the Gator Bowl, etc.  The Big Bowls have a separate agreement to which Notre Dame is a party.  Until that agreement is changed and it probably will be soon with playoff expansion, Notre Dame is a part of it.  

 

Sorry for the late reply. I've got a lot going on right now and dont get on the forums every day any more.  

1) WRT ACC CCG. it doesnt matter if it is one time or 100 times; ND participating in a CCG SHOULD put an end to all this nonsense.  Has there EVER been a time in the last 100 yrs when a NON-Conference team participated in a conference championship game?  I'm old and I cant think of another situation like that.  No. you only do that if both teams are in the same conference - even if it's only one time. 

2) WRT bowl affiliations. It doesnt matter if ND needs help or not - that's not the issue.  Again, would a conference allow a non-conference team to be slotted in their hierarchy of bowl affiliation games?  And, again, a conference will only do that with a conference member - not a non-conference member.  The question is: why does the rest of CFB allow ND special considerations for CFP while they also participate in the ACC conference post-season games?  As of last year, ND has shown they are not functioning as an independent program and special considerations need to stop.

Those that say, "they are independent. that's just the way it is" is nonsensical. By ND playing in ACC post-season games, they should have screwed themselves if they want to keep the independent moniker & privilege that even other independent programs dont get .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

 

Question, if the new 4 teams join the B12 in 2023, wouldn't that lower the buyout for UT and OU to leave in 2023?  The current contract runs through 2025, right?  I don't believe more money has been added to the current TV contract, so that means 4 additional teams to divide the share.  Something has to give if they're adding them in 2023 and hopefully that something is OU and UT leaving next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

Sorry for the late reply. I've got a lot going on right now and dont get on the forums every day any more.  

1) WRT ACC CCG. it doesnt matter if it is one time or 100 times; ND participating in a CCG SHOULD put an end to all this nonsense.  Has there EVER been a time in the last 100 yrs when a NON-Conference team participated in a conference championship game?  I'm old and I cant think of another situation like that.  No. you only do that if both teams are in the same conference - even if it's only one time. 

2) WRT bowl affiliations. It doesnt matter if ND needs help or not - that's not the issue.  Again, would a conference allow a non-conference team to be slotted in their hierarchy of bowl affiliation games?  And, again, a conference will only do that with a conference member - not a non-conference member.  The question is: why does the rest of CFB allow ND special considerations for CFP while they also participate in the ACC conference post-season games?  As of last year, ND has shown they are not functioning as an independent program and special considerations need to stop.

Those that say, "they are independent. that's just the way it is" is nonsensical. By ND playing in ACC post-season games, they should have screwed themselves if they want to keep the independent moniker & privilege that even other independent programs dont get .

You guys are repeating yourselves now.

Point has been addressed several times. It was a one-year agreement due to Covid that is no longer in effect in any way. Otherwise, why is the ACC still trying to get ND to join the conference?

Whatever mud you seem to think ND got on themselves for joining a conference for one year – it washes right off because its history, not a current event anymore.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

You guys are repeating yourselves now.

Point has been addressed several times. It was a one-year agreement due to Covid that is no longer in effect in any way. Otherwise, why is the ACC still trying to get ND to join the conference?

Whatever mud you seem to think ND got on themselves for joining a conference for one year – it washes right off because its history, not a current event anymore.

 

 

And, you just did the same thing. You just repeated what two others said; which is to point out what happened... multiple times.

I dont think anyone is arguing what DID happen.  My point was, and still is, what SHOULD happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...
On 7/28/2021 at 5:47 PM, java said:

That cease and desist letter sounds like the rest of the Big 12 doesn’t want ESPN airing their games.

Guess no Gameday in Waco, Lubbock, Ft. Worth, Ames, Lawrence, Stillwater, Manhattan, or whoever I’m forgetting is. 

Man, they have really got to put their big boy pants on. This is silly. These are grown men and women for goodness sakes. 

Didn’t one of them have a plan of action for the day when Texas would no longer be carrying them.  We have done it, to our detriment, for over 50 years.  They should say thank you and move on.

That was the most ridiculous action that they could have taken. Texas has the LHN, and we aren’t supposed to talk to ESPN about whether or not LHN continues to exist. 

We really cannot deal with these people. 

Hook ‘em!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, longhorn_mig said:

 

Personally I really like the idea of a 16 team conference with a nine game schedule, having 3 permanent match ups and play all the other teams every other year.

Adding 2 teams with a similar schedule would require a 10 game conference schedule,  which most coaches wouldn't like, not that they have all that much say.

The bigger problem is the ACC has a grant of rights agreement that runs through 2036, so it's hard to imagine any ACC teams making a move. So what high values teams does that leave? Maybe Oregon? Since they play in a 54,000 seat stadiuim, unless paired with Notre dame I don't think it works. 

My guess is the B1G and the SEC will stand pat at 16 teams for the foreseeable future., unless Notre Dame wants in.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, dssl said:

Personally I really like the idea of a 16 team conference with a nine game schedule, having 3 permanent match ups and play all the other teams every other year.

Adding 2 teams with a similar schedule would require a 10 game conference schedule,  which most coaches wouldn't like, not that they have all that much say.

The bigger problem is the ACC has a grant of rights agreement that runs through 2036, so it's hard to imagine any ACC teams making a move. So what high values teams does that leave? Maybe Oregon? Since they play in a 54,000 seat stadiuim, unless paired with Notre dame I don't think it works. 

My guess is the B1G and the SEC will stand pat at 16 teams for the foreseeable future., unless Notre Dame wants in.

 

 

The ACC has a long grant of rights that’s about to blow up in their faces. The SEC and Big 10 will be writing $100M+ checks to their members and the ACC, PAC 10, and Big 12 will be cashing $25M to $35M checks. 
 

The ACCs grant of rights will be probably tested in court by a state school that asserts sovereign immunity. Unless there’s something in the contract that expressly bars that assertion. You’ll see the non Power 2 conference teams falling out of competitiveness on facilities, coaches, etc. 

Clemson became a blue blood program and signed it away  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Wayne said:

The ACC has a long grant of rights that’s about to blow up in their faces. The SEC and Big 10 will be writing $100M+ checks to their members and the ACC, PAC 10, and Big 12 will be cashing $25M to $35M checks. 
 

The ACCs grant of rights will be probably tested in court by a state school that asserts sovereign immunity. Unless there’s something in the contract that expressly bars that assertion. You’ll see the non Power 2 conference teams falling out of competitiveness on facilities, coaches, etc. 

Clemson became a blue blood program and signed it away  

 

I would think that TX and OU would have used all available legal avenues to get out of the grant of rights. Given that they didn't even try leads me to believe that they didn't see any hope and be extrapolation the ACC teams are stuck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, dssl said:

I would think that TX and OU would have used all available legal avenues to get out of the grant of rights. Given that they didn't even try leads me to believe that they didn't see any hope and be extrapolation the ACC teams are stuck.

But Texas and Oklahoma had issues with in state schools Ok State and Tech, TCU and Baylor who had political clout.  There isn't another team in the ACC in South Carolina so no in state political issues for Clemson.  FSU and Miami both have options so no in-state political issues for them. 

Another issue is the length of time for the contract.  Clemson may want to go scorched earth because they're dead as a program if they don't get out of the ACC.  Falling 12 years and a $1B behind the schools in the B10 and SEC is probably not something they can stomach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...