Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Conference Realignment Discussion

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

There are 8 or 9 of those in the SEC.  3 or 4 in Big 10.  2 or 3 in both Pac 12 and ACC.  They have to beef up their schedules...  or the SEC gets 7 of the 12. 

I think a primary motivation for the PAC,B1G,ACC alliance is to try to limit the number of playoff teams and or money that can come from each conference . I'm not sure how the negotiations work but you have to believe this is exactly the scenario that the alliance wants to prevent. 

I still think there should be 4 super conferences, self-governing. If someone breaks the rules established by the super conferences, you are out of the shared revenue for a specified amount of time: 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, whatever. 

Guilt or innocence to be determined by something similar to a court of law or judges. It has to be serious because we are dealing with serious money. Fraudulent reports, same penalty. It must be on up and up. Aggressive pranks cannot be tolerated. 

ie, it cannot go unregulated. It won’t go unregulated. 

Mark my words, in the world of super conferences, Norte Dame will not remain independent. 

Goodnight!

I like the idea of a relegation system such as in in Europe. All D1 teams represented in 4 or 5 conferences (maybe football only). Each year bowl games are played to see who gets promoted or demoted, which would be the first time some of these teams have ever generated interest.

This way every D1 football team would have a legitimate route to a championship. This would avert any anti-trust arguments or other threats we've heard about compiling all the football into a couple of super conferences.

Of course some big programs may occasionally be in a relegation game. But... sure would generate some interest in a normally blah bowl season.

Is this remotely possible? Not really

Would it be fun to watch? Yes, yes it would

On 7/26/2021 at 9:48 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

I fully expect Iowa State and Kansas to be invited to join the Big 10. KU has hoops value.

I expect West Virginia to go to the ACC.

And I think Tech, Baylor, Okla State and TCU get invited to the Pac 12 – or – will go to the American. K State will go to the American or MAC.

Texas and OU won't have to worry about honoring financial commitments in 2025.

The PAC part of this prediction is now dead and the other parts of your prediction seem unlikely.

It's too bad as your prediction would have been a good deal for TX,OU and the 7 teams you had slated to move to major conferences. 

17 minutes ago, dssl said:

The PAC part of this prediction is now dead and the other parts of your prediction seem unlikely.

It's too bad as your prediction would have been a good deal for TX,OU and the 7 teams you had slated to move to major conferences. 

I'm not sure it would have happened but I dont think it's dead due to this announcement.  

I think it should be read as: just not now

10 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

I'm not so sure BYU would want to join the B12 now. 

Why not? The Big? would still be the best G6 conference if they add teams wisely. And BYU would probably be top dog in the conference.

46 minutes ago, TexExSpur said:

There is definitely some posturing in the works.  Money will likely have to exchange hands.  Cut the check. 

Not sure it's a Power 5 conference after UT and ou exit...  but whatever they think.  Seems like it is going to be the SEC and the B10/Pac12/ACC alliance and then everybody else.