Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Conference Realignment Discussion

4 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Where are Tech, Iowa St, and WVU going in the proposed merger? Like you, I believe it'll be a scheduling agreement. Bowlsby seems intent on fighting this until the end.

FOX/ESPN won't keep the Big 12 whole with any possible additions - BYU, UH, Cincy...whatever.

Tech is the unknown. Iowa State-Big 10. WVU - ACC. WV has to clear a academic hurdle before the ACC thing materializes.

Now what I said about Tech, WVU, and ISU not going with the merger is just what I've heard from a couple of insiders on other sites.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 10:50 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

Probably a scheduling partnership and not a merger, unfortunately.

If the Big 12 decides to merge and Pac 12 is good with that (minus Tech, Iowa State and W Virginia) then Texas' obligation to the Big 12 is then over since it would no longer exist.

Texas nor OU will play a lame duck schedule next year.  If necessary (and a usual reliable source has told me it won't be necessary) they both will bite the bullet and pay the penalties.

Sadly, we will watch the Big 12 this year for the last time.  At least as we know it.

22 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

Texas nor OU will play a lame duck schedule next year.  If necessary (and a usual reliable source has told me it won't be necessary) they both will bite the bullet and pay the penalties.

Sadly, we will watch the Big 12 this year for the last time.  At least as we know it.

Any losses to big 12 teams this year are going to be even more embarrassing...TCU, Baylor, OSU 

51 minutes ago, Rotty22 said:

Any losses to big 12 teams this year are going to be even more embarrassing...TCU, Baylor, OSU 

Kinda' hope we stay one more year in the Big 12.

Give us time to get our new offense/defense tuned up, kick farewell butt in the Big 12 and head to the SEC firing on all cylinders.

2 hours ago, UTfish said:

Kinda' hope we stay one more year in the Big 12.

Give us time to get our new offense/defense tuned up, kick farewell butt in the Big 12 and head to the SEC firing on all cylinders.

Good points.... but I’ll disagree. Getting out of the Big 12 (Embarrassing 10) will exasperate firing on all cylinders. Recruiting picks up when the SEC thing is resolved. 

if this is the right coaching staff we compete in the sec day 1. Talent is there now. If it’s not, OU continues to own us in the embarrassing 10 - and TCU looks like Goliath.  

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Good points.... but I’ll disagree. Getting out of the Big 12 (Embarrassing 10) will exasperate firing on all cylinders. Recruiting picks up when the SEC thing is resolved. 

if this is the right coaching staff we compete in the sec day 1. Talent is there now. If it’s not, OU continues to own us in the embarrassing 10 - and TCU looks like Goliath.  

Agreed

Every other school was able to play ball the following year after acceptance in their new leagues. I fully expect the GoR and penalties to be negotiated down 1/3 to 1/2 the contract's value and settlements reached. No reason to hang around here any longer. Time to move on.

16 minutes ago, dssl said:

Both Pac and B1G are big conferences. Oregon is already playing Ohio State to start the year. USC has a permanent tie with Notre Dame, so there's not a lot of opportunities for much two-conference action, much less three conferences, for some teams. And this assumes that all the schools forego their normal OOC scheduling practices.

We'll see what they come up with.

2 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Both Pac and B1G are big conferences. Oregon is already playing Ohio State to start the year. USC has a permanent tie with Notre Dame, so there's not a lot of opportunities for much two-conference action, much less three conferences, for some teams. And this assumes that all the schools forego their normal OOC scheduling practices.

We'll see what they come up with.

I agree that from a scheduling or per team payout perspective there isn't much an alliance can accomplish.

The part I found interesting about it is that they are basically trying to conspire together to prevent the SEC from getting too much money or slots in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, dssl said:

I agree that from a scheduling or per team payout perspective there isn't much an alliance can accomplish.

The part I found interesting about it is that they are basically trying to conspire together to prevent the SEC from getting too much money or slots in the playoffs.

Well, they are against a very real threat. Remember, most of the country is done playing football when the Pac teams play. The SEC has become ESPN's darling with that influence dominating a lot of aspects of college football.

You know, the same things we've complained about for years now. And much of that was true and remains true. But the addition of UT and OU kinda mute that complaint now.

I had lunch with the son of the former Voice of the Frogs today. This guy grew up wearing purple every day. He's pretty unhappy about it and rubbed my face into the Frogs-Horns recent history . . . But I asked him, and he did not answer, what did the conference have to offer UT? It was UT, OU and a bunch of minor market venues.

Its a fun time to be a college football fan. My only concern is the Wild West that the college football world is about to be without a governing body to keep it in check. The NCAA is toothless, but they were at least a figure head and had SMU as an example of their power.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/23/pac-12-football-strategy-timing-of-expansion-decision-future-of-the-conference-schedule-and-the-goal-of-the-three-league-alliance/

“We’ll have a decision in the next couple weeks about whether or not we’re looking at expansion,’’ commissioner George Kliavkoff told the Hotline. “If we do look at expansion, then it would be a process that we would go through.

“But the first decision is whether or not we want to expand.”

“No schools really add value,” said a source not affiliated with the Pac-12. Without Texas and Oklahoma propping them up, none of the Big 12 universities are believed to carry enough media rights value to be worthwhile to the Pac-12.

“All the conversations I’ve had are really focused on closing the revenue gap,’’ Schulz told the Hotline recently. “That still drives a lot of the decision-making. You could pick schools that make us a 16- or 18-team conference, but the next question is, ‘OK, how does that close the revenue gap? …

“The second thing I hear a lot about is institutional fit. It’s not about a particular state. It’s more about similar styles institutionally. We have a major brand presence on the West Coast. If we add schools from different geographic regions, does that fit well?”

I dont see how the PAC does this without adding two teams.  The PAC commish was talking about going to an 11+1 round robin; well, that has to be on hold.  

I dont know why this is a big threat to the sec and I dont think all ACC teams will sign off on that plan. Clemson, FSU, Ga Tech @ Louisville are not giving up non-games vs S. Carolina, Florida, Georgia & Kentucky just so they can then play 11 of remaining 12 games against P5 programs.

Additionally, lot of schools NEED to inflate their won/Loss record to make a bowl game by playing multiple G5 and FCS teams (yes, looking at you nebbie)

39 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

I dont see how the PAC does this without adding two teams.  The PAC commish was talking about going to an 11+1 round robin; well, that has to be on hold.  

I dont know why this is a big threat to the sec and I dont think all ACC teams will sign off on that plan. Clemson, FSU, Ga Tech @ Louisville are not giving up non-games vs S. Carolina, Florida, Georgia & Kentucky just so they can then play 11 of remaining 12 games against P5 programs.

Additionally, lot of schools NEED to inflate their won/Loss record to make a bowl game by playing multiple G5 and FCS teams (yes, looking at you nebbie)

That may be true for nebbie (needing to be bowl eligible).  But for the teams to get in the expanded playoff, an FCS school won't hack it if you are already playing one or two or three or four FCS equivalents in conference.  You're going to need 4 or 5 games against good teams at a minimum.  There are 8 or 9 of those in the SEC.  3 or 4 in Big 10.  2 or 3 in both Pac 12 and ACC.  They have to beef up their schedules...  or the SEC gets 7 of the 12. 

33 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Thats paying a lot of money to a very nice guy only to hear "there's nowhere to go here"

I agree but at least its going to a UT alum.  I wonder if they thought of the optics of that.