Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hot Damn...Ivan Melendez to Return

Huge news. Could argue the entire lineup and rotation is set except for one OF spot.

If Melendez performs well at 1B, I think he jumps from 16th round and $125K to the 7th round and $250K. Could literally double his money by doing nothing more than showing he can play defense. If he hits even more than money can continue to climb.

5 hours ago, TB14 said:

Huge news. Could argue the entire lineup and rotation is set except for one OF spot.

If Melendez performs well at 1B, I think he jumps from 16th round and $125K to the 7th round and $250K. Could literally double his money by doing nothing more than showing he can play defense. If he hits even more than money can continue to climb.

And how much is NIL?

9 hours ago, TB14 said:

That’s the #1 reason he is coming back to The 40. 

3 hours ago, Wayne said:

Plus he can now make money at UT.  Don't underestimate the NIL. 

I think how the NIL plays out for baseball players is still an unknown. Could be huge, but I’m taking more of a wait and see approach. 

Hey, look at that! HornSports sponsor, Last Stand Hats, announces they signed Melendez to a NIL deal! Can't wait to see what they come out with.

PS. Austin Todd is back for a 6th year! If he is healthy, an OF trio of Hodo, Kennedy, and Todd sounds pretty good to me!

This would mean the biggest openings for playing time would be DH, midweek starter, and Witt/Quintanilla type bullpen roles from last year!

3 hours ago, joeywa said:

I think how the NIL plays out for baseball players is still an unknown. Could be huge, but I’m taking more of a wait and see approach. 

It doesn’t have to be much if your bonus is “only” $125k. The bonus might come up front but your salary in the minors is about $400 a week during the season and you don’t get paid during the off-season. After you buy your car and pay your taxes 125 doesn’t go to far. Especially if you can now get paid for promo stuff. 

So glad he is coming back. I believe he has a great deal of potential. 

These guys seem to be getting some great coaching, and the lifestyle of MiBB doesn’t seem to be the most conducive to success, but then, I really don’t know.

Hook ‘em!