Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2023 5-Star RB Rueben Owens Decommits from Longhorns

• Administrators

GDSDCTXFB.jpg

Steve Sarkisian's recruiting efforts took a hit on Thursday morning as Rueben Owens (El Campo, El Campo, TX), a 5-star prospect and the team's lone pledge in the 2023 Class, announced his decommitment via Twitter.

Owens, a 5-11, 185 lb. running back, is ranked as the second best running back in the country, the fourth best player in the state of Texas and the 24th best player in the country according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

He holds offers from more than 25 schools, including Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, LSU and Texas A&M.

While the Longhorns are still in the mix for Owens, he has decided to take things slower and soak in the recruiting process before making his final decision.

Full statement from Owens:

"I am beyond thankful for all the love and support from the Texas Longhorn coaching staff, fanbase and recruiting media.  There is a lot to carefully evaluate especially this early & now I see that, although the Univ of Texas will still be one of the programs I consider, I am officially decommitting & reopening my recruiting campaign.  I would like to thank everyone for their continued support during this process, we only get one shot at this decision & I would like to make sure it's the best fir for me & my future when I decide.  Thanks for everything Longhorn nation during the time of my commitment.  #HookEm."

• Aaron Carrara changed the title to 2023 5-Star RB Rueben Owens Decommits from Longhorns

Somebody wasn’t getting enough attention this past weekend. 

This doesn’t bother me at all. This is a 16 year old from a small town who probably wants to be courted and see the country. By the time he can actually sign his letter we will have on field results to accompany Sark’s vision. When it’s all said and done he’ll be back. Obviously we will want to see if his potential translates to production on the field over the next couple of years too. We might not want him back. 

4 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

This doesn’t bother me at all. This is a 16 year old from a small town who probably wants to be courted and see the country. By the time he can actually sign his letter we will have on field results to accompany Sark’s vision. When it’s all said and done he’ll be back. Obviously we will want to see if his potential translates to production on the field over the next couple of years too. We might not want him back. 

You seldom see a decommit come back to a class. The country is filled with good RBs. We just need to find one we like.

5 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

FWIW, my opinion is that with the commitment of K. Robinson he took a look at the numbers and depth of the RB room.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:17 PM, RickyFlair said:

My thoughts exactly. He will get VIP treatment everywhere he chooses to visit. I wouldn't want him to miss that. If he really wants to be a 'horn, he'll be back. If not, we don't need to waste a year and a scholly on him and then see him transfer.