Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Super Regional Game Thread: Longhorns set to host South Florida

• Administrators

NCAA_SRegional.jpg
Photo: @NCAACWS

After defeating Fairfield 12-2 on Sunday night to win the Austin Regional, the Longhorns are set to host the South Florida Bulls in a Super Regional.  The schedule has been set for an opening game on Saturday, June 12th at 8:00 PM.  The two teams will meet again on Sunday at 8:00 PM and again on Monday, if necessary to decide a winner.

The Longhorns won all three games played in the Regional at Disch Falk Field, defeating Southern, Arizona State and Fairfield by a combined score of 33-5.

South Florida is on a hot streak after winning the AAC Championship to advance to the Gainesville Regional, where they defeated Florida, Miami and South Alabama to advance to the Super Regional against Texas.

The Longhorns advance to their 11th Super Regional in school history and boast a 15-6 all-time record in Super Regional play.

Austin Super Regional Schedule

Saturday, June 12, 2021: Game 1 @ 8:00pm (ESPNU)
Sunday, June 13, 2021: Game 2 @ 8:00pm (ESPN2/ESPNU)
Monday, June 14, 2021: Game 3 @ 3:00pm or 6:00pm (ESPN2/ESPNU) *if necessary

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ardoin reaches on an E6 with 2 outs in B9. Clutch knock by Kennedy on a liner over the CF's head to plate Ardoin and walk it off.   See y'all seamheads tomorrow.  🤘

Thanks for al you do Joeywa. Congrats to the team. Here’s hoping they go get a natty

Posted Images

South Florida didn't have a great season but they looked damn good in a tough Regional. 

I think I would keep the rotation the same as last weekend so that each pitcher has an extra day of rest. Stevens has looked good enough the past month to be the opening night starter in my opinion.

The Saturday-Sunday-Monday format means Texas can start Ty Madden in game 1 on normal rest and push Stevens and Hansen back a day (to Sunday and Monday, respectively).

Pierce could also opt to do the same thing he did in the regional which is start Stevens game 1 because he has the ability to potentially bounce back and provide an inning out of the bullpen on Monday, if needed.

A 2 out of 3 format vs a double elimination regional format does benefit teams like South Florida who may not have the pitching depth that Texas does. They know they will only need a maximum of 3 starters and can get by with only a few guys coming out of the bullpen. The bullpen does appear to be one of the strengths of their team.

6 minutes ago, Jameson McCausland said:

The Saturday-Sunday-Monday format means Texas can start Ty Madden in game 1 on normal rest and push Stevens and Hansen back a day (to Sunday and Monday, respectively).

Pierce could also opt to do the same thing he did in the regional which is start Stevens game 1 because he has the ability to potentially bounce back and provide an inning out of the bullpen on Monday, if needed.

A 2 out of 3 format vs a double elimination regional format does benefit teams like South Florida who may not have the pitching depth that Texas does. They know they will only need a maximum of 3 starters and can get by with only a few guys coming out of the bullpen. The bullpen does appear to be one of the strengths of their team.

The biggest thing is Stevens has out pitched Madden recently. So I'd keep it the same and give all 3 guys an extra day of rest to ensure they are good to go.

Damn. But I get it. He has the best stuff on the team and has been the ace for most of the season. However, over his past 5 starts his ERA has been 4.55 with no double digit strikeout games after having several in the early part of the season. His K/9 was just 10.01 during that stretch. Much lower than early in the season.

Stevens by contrast has a 2.83 ERA during that stretch. In watching those games it seems like he gets ground ball after ground ball. By starting Stevens, both pitchers would have an extra day of rest after the Regional which I feel could be very beneficial to Madden. Just one man's opinion.

PS. Pete Hanson has been on fire with a 1.32 ERA during that stretch with a 10.32 K/9! Very happy he can't be drafted yet!

Very confident in all 3 guys! and in the top 6 bullpen guys!

• Aaron Carrara changed the title to Super Regional Game Thread: Longhorns set to host South Florida
  • Administrators
4 hours ago, bctex1106 said:

Anybody know where they're selling Texas Baseball Big 12 Champions apparel? Can't find it anywhere. 

Maybe I'll wait til the end of the CWS to buy, and get National Champions gear instead \m/

I haven't seen any conference champ gear around and we usually get emails when they release that kind of stuff.  You are definitely better off waiting for CWS gear!

7 hours ago, Aaron Carrara said:

Sold out crowd but I imagine the OLF crowd will be just as large as inside DFF.

Turn Up Yolo GIF by Fandor

Was just told it was nuts in LF, and that you couldn't even get a view of the field due to the numbers of people out there.