Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Spring Game Thread

Aaron Carrara

• Administrators

Spring_Game_Rotator.jpg

The annual Texas Football Orange-White Game will take place today at 1 p.m. at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium and will be televised on Longhorn Network.

Admission is FREE and seating will be available in the lower bowl in on a first-come, first-served basis with social distancing measures in place.

Does anyone have a list of recruits that are/will attend the Spring game?  I've seen some names thrown around and so far it looks like:

Zac Swanson, Devon Campbell, BJ Allen, Maalik Murphy, Trevell Johnson, Denver Harris, Armani Winfield, and Jordan Renault (23).

Are there any others like CJ Williams from Cali or Banks or Dewberry?

This should probably be in the 2022 recruiting thread, but it does pertain to the Spring Game.  

• Administrators

Also, the following players will not participate in today’s game due to injury:

P Ryan Bujcevski (knee)

OL Rafiti Ghirmai (hamstring)

LB D.J. Harris Jr. (knee)

WR Dajon Harrison (ankle)

LB Jaden Hullaby (knee)

OL Derek Kerstetter (ankle)

TE Brayden Liebrock (shoulder)

DS Justin Mader (shoulder)

LB DeMarvion Overshown (shoulder)

WR Jake Smith (foot)

DL T’Vondre Sweat (shoulder)

The O looked better than the D early on but then the D turned it around. Dicker's 58 yard FG would have been good from even further out. Did R Johnson get demoted to 4th string RB or is he hurt (he has 1 carry I believe so far)? The pick 6 was a bad pass but Thompson however it was a good play from the DB.

I thought Thompson started out strong, but faded as the game went on. Card started off slow, but finished strong.

Dline looked good. We're going to be good there. 

Jamison will be an All American 1st team if he keeps it up.

Card, at times, seemed erratic and uncomfortable in the pocket. When the play broke down is when he excelled. Reminds me of Colt's first season.

Bijan has the chance to have a statue of himself at DKR, if he keeps it up. Guy is a beast.

OL looked pretty good. I can't recall the last time I said that.

Wiley is going to be a big weapon for us, under Sark.

After watching the game I think Card is going to be a special QB, but he needs more reps.  You can see that he sees things others can't.  I think starting him would not be a mistake this year.  Let him learn and grow on the job.  However, I think you have to go with Thompson.  Thompson still has some things to learn, but he is ready and you have to run him some in the RPO game.  My biggest concern is naming Card QB1 and Thompson transfers.  I know the overall decision can't be based on that, but it has to be a factor.

Thompson never got it back together after the pick six. Card was over amped and needed to lighten up on the short throws. Gabriel Watson has some power. 

Defense pressured the quarterback and was in good position all game. 

Offense and defense looked good at times considering both had new schemes and coaches. Should improve by leaps and bounds by opening game. 

3 minutes ago, texbound said:

After watching the game I think Card is going to be a special QB, but he needs more reps.  You can see that he sees things others can't.  I think starting him would not be a mistake this year.  Let him learn and grow on the job.  However, I think you have to go with Thompson.  Thompson still has some things to learn, but he is ready and you have to run him some in the RPO game.  My biggest concern is naming Card QB1 and Thompson transfers.  I know the overall decision can't be based on that, but it has to be a factor.

Agree. Start Thompson and phase Card in as the season progresses. 

16 minutes ago, texbound said:

In this day and age, you can't make it through a season without two good QBs.

24 minutes ago, UTfish said:

Agree. Start Thompson and phase Card in as the season progresses. 

the standing punchline used to be " who is the most popular FB player on campus" ...and the answer is " whoever is the backup QB"....once you decide on the starter , you cant platoon the position, and you sure as heck cant "phase in the back up" especially if the team is winning....You go with the starter until they are no longer the starter, if the backup transfers, so be it. I dont think Sark will have any trouble finding someone to come to TEXAS and play QB...still a lot of practices this summer and there is no clear cut starter just yet

I was at the game, but look forward to rewatching it. Me and my daughter sat about 15 rows up on the 40 behind the orange team. Here are several players who physically looked the part and could have a huge season.   

1  Troy Omeire!!!
2  Jordan Whittington  
3  Bijan Robinson

4  Alfred Collins 

All 4 of these are physically impressive 

There is a long way to go on deciding the QB. I personally like Card a lot but I’m not there everyday so I’m confident Sark will come up with who should be starting. 
I saw Card in high school come in in the state championship game and I said right then we have to get that kid. I’ve felt all Along that he would be the next QB after Ehlinger. He looks like he’s one of those guys that has the “it” factor. 
Like I said it going to be awhile before it’s decided. I could be wrong so we’ll see. 
On a side note I think we’ve finally got a coaching staff. I think we don’t have a weak spot on the coaching staff. 
If you listen to Sark today or his weekly media availability........this guy is all business. There is no joking, no BS whatsoever. I’m trying to keep my enthusiasm at bay, but I really like everything I’ve seen so far......and I watch a lot of it. 
🤘🤘🐂🐂

6 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

There is a long way to go on deciding the QB. I personally like Card a lot but I’m not there everyday so I’m confident Sark will come up with who should be starting. 
I saw Card in high school come in in the state championship game and I said right then we have to get that kid. I’ve felt all Along that he would be the next QB after Ehlinger. He looks like he’s one of those guys that has the “it” factor. 
Like I said it going to be awhile before it’s decided. I could be wrong so we’ll see. 
On a side note I think we’ve finally got a coaching staff. I think we don’t have a weak spot on the coaching staff. 
If you listen to Sark today or his weekly media availability........this guy is all business. There is no joking, no BS whatsoever. I’m trying to keep my enthusiasm at bay, but I really like everything I’ve seen so far......and I watch a lot of it. 
🤘🤘🐂🐂

Thompson had an edge over Card as of the last Saturday scrimmage. Card threw a pick six that day.

This battle is not won or lost in one scrimmage or spring game though. Gotta win the long term

I realize that these two young QB's are inexperienced but I had hoped to see one of them take over the game today. I didn't really see that. I'm not saying one or both of them won't become excellent QB's, but I don't feel a lot of confidence yet and it's only 4 months until the season starts. 

3 hours ago, Hiwood said:

the standing punchline used to be " who is the most popular FB player on campus" ...and the answer is " whoever is the backup QB"....once you decide on the starter , you cant platoon the position, and you sure as heck cant "phase in the back up" especially if the team is winning....You go with the starter until they are no longer the starter, if the backup transfers, so be it. I dont think Sark will have any trouble finding someone to come to TEXAS and play QB...still a lot of practices this summer and there is no clear cut starter just yet

My poor choice of words. By phase in, I meant give him more playing time when appropriate, assuming he doesn't win the job outright before the season begins. Give him game experience to get him ready to take the reins when the time is right. That may not be this year, but I  certainly wouldn't rule that out. You play the quarterback who gives you the best chance of winning, and that can change as the players and season progresses.