Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basketball News/Recruiting Thread

26 minutes ago, texbound said:

Rodney Terry is putting together a great case to stay on as the HC.

I agree. I am not very familiar with his overall career, so my biggest question right now is can he recruit? Can he continue to bring in the caliber of players needed to be a championship level?

It's obvious that the players are playing hard for him and he's checking a lot of boxes. I just hope he can recruit.

56 minutes ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

I agree. I am not very familiar with his overall career, so my biggest question right now is can he recruit? Can he continue to bring in the caliber of players needed to be a championship level?

It's obvious that the players are playing hard for him and he's checking a lot of boxes. I just hope he can recruit.

I believe he has a reputation as an excellent recruiter.  He’s obviously great as a game-day bench coach.  I think the question might be putting together a staff and doing the other stuff a head coach does… CEO type stuff.  

Great road win! Defense has pick way up after giving up 116 to K-State in ATX. I was very worried after that but the team had really picked up on the defensive end. I don’t think they can out score people but they can score enough with defense like that. This team continues to get better, and it’s a true team effort with different guys stepping up each game. 
Keep rolling and HOOK ‘ EM!

Doesn’t get easier from here.

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

I believe he has a reputation as an excellent recruiter.  He’s obviously great as a game-day bench coach.  I think the question might be putting together a staff and doing the other stuff a head coach does… CEO type stuff.  

It has been said he was instrumental in landing out 2 incoming 5 stars, if he isn't at Texas next year, they may not be either. That shouldn't be a determining factor, but if he continues to have success, the fact that he gets two 5 stars on campus next season is another feather in his cap. 

On 1/23/2023 at 1:00 PM, BWilk55 said:

We play only 4 more conference games against unranked opponents (8 more games against schools ranked 17 or higher). Of the 4, 3 are at home and the other is at Tech. Winning 3-4 of those games is very important.

Of the 7 conference games against ranked opponents, 3 are at home and 4 on the road. Winning 3-4 of those games would be very impressive as well. 

If we take 6-8 of the above wins, we would finished the big 12 with a record between 11-7 and 13-5, probably between 2nd and 5th in conference and between #10-#20 in the nation going into the tourney. A top 3-5 seed in March would be a good result for us overall.

Since this post Texas has won at home against unranked Oklahoma State, #11 Baylor and on the road today to #7 K state.

That leaves 3 unranked matchups, 2 at home and 1 at Tech. As bad as Tech has been, all 3 should be very winnable.

2 more ranked home games and 3 more on the road. Win 2-3 and we keep cooking.

17 hours ago, david ficken said:

Only down 11 at the half against K state, 36-25. Surprisingly, because we are playing like crap.

That's a lot nicer than I would have stated. Case in point was a ball Brock saved and threw it back to Hunter who just stood waiting for the ball to come to him. A K St defender, who hustled, ran past him, intercepted the ball and they ended up scoring.

I'm sure Coach Terry had a "discussion" with them at half because the 2nd half Texas team was nothing like the 1st half team. I think Texas went 7 mins in the 2nd half before they missed a shot and they played with a lot more intensity. Huge game and win on the road for the team. No rest for the wicked as they play at Kansas Monday.

8 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

That's a lot nicer than I would have stated. Case in point was a ball Brock saved and threw it back to Hunter who just stood waiting for the ball to come to him. A K St defender, who hustled, ran past him, intercepted the ball and they ended up scoring.

I'm sure Coach Terry had a "discussion" with them at half because the 2nd half Texas team was nothing like the 1st half team. I think Texas went 7 mins in the 2nd half before they missed a shot and they played with a lot more intensity. Huge game and win on the road for the team. No rest for the wicked as they play at Kansas Monday.

Oh trust me, I thought about using other words to describe the play in the 1st half.   There was at least 10-12 plays like that one with Brock and Hunter and the rest of the team.  We should be lucky that K-State was turning the ball as about as much as we were. Plus that guard got 2 quick fouls and a 3rd about 8 minutes left in the 1st half or we might have been down by 20+ at the half.

Agree the 2nd half play.

Here to playing so much better at Kansas which we have played them better than K-State in recent years.  Would love to go 3-1 for this 4 game stretch of nothing but top 12 teams with 3 on the road.

Look, I'm not disappointed.  I knew Kansas would come in hungry after a loss and Texas had an emotional win two days ago.  So, I'm good with a split in Kansas in 3 days.

One other thing, Texas could have easily mailed this in and no one would think any less of them.  This team however said F that and fought with everything they had even though the deck was stacked against them tonight 

7 minutes ago, texbound said:

Look, I'm not disappointed.  I knew Kansas would come in hungry after a loss and Texas had an emotional win two days ago.  So, I'm good with a split in Kansas in 3 days.

One other thing, Texas could have easily mailed this in and no one would think any less of them.  This team however said F that and fought with everything they had even though the deck was stacked against them tonight 

Losing both would not have been a big deal, winning 1 of the 2 is great. Winning both would have put us in 1 seed territory

Oh well. Losing at Kansas isn't that bad. Would've liked to have seen better efforts from Disu and Hunter.  Gave up way to many runouts. Still on the #2 seed line for the big dance and still in 1st place in the conference. 

Now, we get 3 of the next 4 at home.  Hopefully Baylor, ISU, Kansas, and K-State beat up on each other or get beat by one of the other teams. Have to see how TCU plays without Mike Miles for another game or 2.

Hopefully there are no weird fouls next Monday Night at tech.

Kansas made the shots, especially in second half when we closed on them. Got to give them credit, they played great. 
Texas has a good team. Another night and it could have been different. Besides Carr, not a lot of our shots were falling.

I am looking forward to the tournament. I really hope Terry leads them to at least a sweet 16. I like that guy, and wish him the best.

10 hours ago, texbound said:

Man, you wrote what I was going to. 😏 Team fought hard tonight, proud of the guys.

14 hours ago, david ficken said:

Hopefully Baylor, ISU, Kansas, and K-State beat up on each other or get beat by one of the other teams.

K-State and TCU play tonight in Manhattan. Winner remains 1 game back of us, loser falls 2 games back

Iowa State is at WVU Wednesday. A win would tie them with us. Lets go Mountaineers!

Baylor has OU at home. That is a game they should win to stay one back of us. 

Baylor plays at TCU Saturday. I'm rooting for K-state to give TCU and loss and then TCU to hand a loss to Baylor this weekend. Any upsets are welcomed as well.

19 hours ago, texbound said:

It's not easy to win in the Phog, I don't care who you are.

On 2/7/2023 at 1:02 PM, BWilk55 said:

Iowa State is at WVU Wednesday. A win would tie them with us. Lets go Mountaineers!

I'm rooting for K-state to give TCU a loss. Any upsets are welcomed as well.

K-State did beat TCU.

We also got an upset with WVU knocking off Iowa State. That keeps us solely in first place. There are 4 teams 1 game back of us.