Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basketball News/Recruiting Thread

1 hour ago, hookemhorb said:

🤔 Definitely more parity in men's basketball than women's. I see the women's team being more like the baseball team that makes it to the elite 8 more times but is difficult to win it all. Nothing wrong with that. The men's will be in the tournament but much harder to get past a sweet 16 game. They can become frequent members of the sweet 16 but occasionally a final 4.

With that said, I say they both win it thIs year. 🤘

Fixed it for you (note for the boomers, FIFY is the abbreviation for this saying)

On 10/13/2022 at 3:20 PM, longhorn_mig said:

Probably right. Kansas and Baylor aren't going away. But we should be better than tech and tcu.  Better depth, better shooting, and better team play this year.  Morris and D. Mitchell are better players and Rice is a better shooter. If everyone understands their role we can challenge for the conference title, but those 2 will be difficult outs.

22 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

Who do you think wins a Natty first? Beard or Vic? 

Vic. Both are great coaches, but you don't see many great shooting nights on the women's side as you do the men's side. Just look at UNC last year as a #8 seed I believe. Or the non Smart coach we just had woth both pf his VCU teams.

On 10/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, TexCoyote said:

Just got a crystal ball for Ron Holland to Texas. #1 player in Texas for 2023, #10 in the country. 
He was down to Texas, Arkansas, Kentucky, and UCLA. 
Beard is building something 👀

Kate wants to know if there's a reason for her to get out of bed for this. Is it imminent? lol

I don't know why, but I always watch our free throw percentages. 

Morris had 19 points, 4 of 6 from the three, 6 of 9 FGs. But only 3 of 7 at the line? You almost have to do well at FGs if you're going to be that bad at the line.

It's a free shot. You should make every one of them.

20 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I don't know why, but I always watch our free throw percentages. 

Morris had 19 points, 4 of 6 from the three, 6 of 9 FGs. But only 3 of 7 at the line? You almost have to do well at FGs if you're going to be that bad at the line.

It's a free shot. You should make every one of them.

As a coach I used to preach FT %.  Would not allow them to leave the gym until they shot 7-10.  I didn't say they needed to be perfect, but a standing goal for every game was at least 70%.

So, we had 5 in double figures lead by Morris with 19, Allen 12, Rice 11, Hunter 10, and D. Mitchell 10.  We did get 23 turnovers on Arkie.  We shot from 3 point land 62.5%, which we would have loved to have seen the last few years.

Holland I believe was visiting on an unofficial visit to see the team play and the atmosphere for the new Moody Center.  He is still to do an unoffocial to Arkie later.  But hopefully he saw what he need to see.  Little over a week away from the start of the season with UTEP on Monday Nov. 7th. 

On 10/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, TexCoyote said:

Just got a crystal ball for Ron Holland to Texas. #1 player in Texas for 2023, #10 in the country. 
He was down to Texas, Arkansas, Kentucky, and UCLA. 
Beard is building something 👀

yeah, good news. Heard this on a podcast with Gerry Hamilton and he said he was going to put in a CB for Holland - VERY good news