Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basketball News/Recruiting Thread

Count me as very cautiously optimistic. I think the front line looks a bit thin and last year teams hurt us there. 
I was actually a little disappointed last year. Call me crazy but I thought we would have been a bit better. I still like where the program is going and Beard worked wonders getting the support and excitement back. 
I was a student for the Wetlich to Penders change. That was day and night. Basketball became fun again. 

1 hour ago, Huskie1 said:

Count me as very cautiously optimistic. I think the front line looks a bit thin and last year teams hurt us there. 
I was actually a little disappointed last year. Call me crazy but I thought we would have been a bit better. I still like where the program is going and Beard worked wonders getting the support and excitement back. 
I was a student for the Wetlich to Penders change. That was day and night. Basketball became fun again. 

I knew last year going in that we would need to be patient with a group of guys who had never played together before. As it was, we didn't have enough time for the team to rise.

We still have a core from last year, unlike last year at this stage, so hopefully we can mesh early. The new PG has got me excited. It was the one piece we needed last year and now we have one, and a very good one at that.

13 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

How appealing is the G-league at this point? 1 year on campus, get NIL money and then go pro. I wonder if we see any type of shift away from guys going the pro route right out of school?

Depends on how much you like freshman English. Not everybody does. 

37 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Depends on how much you like freshman English. Not everybody does. 

I think it also depends on the money. IF you get enough $$, anyone can sit through a couple hours of Shakespeare a week.

4 minutes ago, hookemhorb said:

I think it also depends on the money. IF you get enough $$, anyone can sit through a couple hours of Shakespeare a week.

Hell, Shakespeare don't even talk right. Those Brits shudder learn to talk American by now. I'd rather make money only playin ball than have to take a fern language class by a man in pantaloons and a little pointy beard.

3 hours ago, hookemhorb said:

But Jalen Green’s G League salary was 500k and he didn’t have to sit through the Bard.   I don’t know what basketball NILs pay. 

On 6/3/2022 at 4:09 PM, Wayne said:

But Jalen Green’s G League salary was 500k and he didn’t have to sit through the Bard.   I don’t know what basketball NILs pay. 

Not that I know who Jalen Green is nor that I care who he is. Him getting 500k and compare that to the Kansas State guard Pack just transferred to Miami got a package from Miami for 400k in NIL deals per some attorney that is doing deals for Miami that was interviewed by the guy the works for SI that did a story on the NIL deals.

So, grades could be a part of who goes to the minor league and those going to schools  and getting NIL deals. Plus both Tech and Duke just got 5* players to reclassify to come in this yr. Might start seeing kids doing more reclassifying to get money earlier.

On 6/1/2022 at 5:45 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

We're going to be pretty good folks.

Yes, we will be good, but would still like to find 1-2 guys that were taller than 6'9".  Also, would have still liked to had A.J. back for 1 more season.

The one thing I felt missing last year was a Jericho Sims.

7 hours ago, david ficken said:

Not that I know who Jalen Green is nor that I care who he is. Him getting 500k and compare that to the Kansas State guard Pack just transferred to Miami got a package from Miami for 400k in NIL deals per some attorney that is doing deals for Miami that was interviewed by the guy the works for SI that did a story on the NIL deals.

So, grades could be a part of who goes to the minor league and those going to schools  and getting NIL deals. Plus both Tech and Duke just got 5* players to reclassify to come in this yr. Might start seeing kids doing more reclassifying to get money earlier.

Maybe so, but some of the one and done guys might decide to go G League. They can be on NBA payroll and get on Nike’s payroll too. The appeal would be no classes. It only applies to the top 5 or 6 recruits a year. Jalen Green was the number two pick in last years draft by Houston. 

On 6/1/2022 at 9:09 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

I knew last year going in that we would need to be patient with a group of guys who had never played together before. As it was, we didn't have enough time for the team to rise.

We still have a core from last year, unlike last year at this stage, so hopefully we can mesh early. The new PG has got me excited. It was the one piece we needed last year and now we have one, and a very good one at that.

Agreed. During a Texas game last season, I believe it was Lance Blanks that stated you can have great players but that doesn't make you a great team. 

• 2 weeks later...