Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

****Tuesday Night Texas @ A&M Game Thread****

24 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Perhaps Pierce should study history a bit.  I think he’d find that playing the aggies isn’t really a good game to rest half your team?  This game is one I, and I think most fans, would actually like to win.  It is a bit different than playing Texas State or Lamar on a Tuesday night for most of us.... apparently not Pierce though.  

I'm confused...what "half" of the team did Pierce rest?   He brought in two weekend relievers, rather than mid-week guys, so it seemed to me he was trying to win the game.  If you want to be critical of Pierce...perhaps suggest he improve the team by recruiting better talent...adding some "hitters" would help....

3 hours ago, dillohorn said:

2 runs total in past 2 games. Sad.

15 runs total in the two games prior to that. (25 if you count the Tuesday game)

See?  This works both ways. 

57 minutes ago, OrangeLarry said:

I'm confused...what "half" of the team did Pierce rest?   He brought in two weekend relievers, rather than mid-week guys, so it seemed to me he was trying to win the game.  If you want to be critical of Pierce...perhaps suggest he improve the team by recruiting better talent...adding some "hitters" would help....

Thank you for the advice.

Half the team was an inappropriate exaggeration.  We started 2 position players who aren’t regulars.  And understandably pitched a non-rotation guy.

I honestly believe the jury is out on Pierce.  You open yourself up to a world of scrutiny when coaching at THE University of Texas and finish dead last in the conference.  Especially in football or baseball.  Pierce has already raised that red flag   

We can agree on hitting. But I’ll stick to my critical statement about the lineup.  Let’s give annoying Aggie our best shot.  

3 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

0-4 against SEC West.  

And not a single one of those games affect Texas Baseball in the grand scheme of things. They don’t affect the conference standings at all. And might I remind you that Texas just swept swept then #12 South Carolina (SEC) a mere two weeks back. BTW, that same South Carolina team swept #5 Florida over the weekend. 
Nobody is going to go undefeated. There will be games won or lost by 1-2 runs, and by 6-10 runs. It’s baseball. 
Trust me, I hate losing to those dolts as much as anyone, but at the end of the day, this game means squat. Bounce back and go to Lawrence tomorrow and take it out on KU and win that series. 

21 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Thank you for the advice.

Half the team was an inappropriate exaggeration.  We started 2 position players who aren’t regulars.  And understandably pitched a non-rotation guy.

I honestly believe the jury is out on Pierce.  You open yourself up to a world of scrutiny when coaching at THE University of Texas and finish dead last in the conference.  Especially in football or baseball.  Pierce has already raised that red flag   

We can agree on hitting. But I’ll stick to my critical statement about the lineup.  Let’s give annoying Aggie our best shot.  

Pierce started Campbell in LF, same as Saturday.  
Antico was still in the lineup but as a DH, and Antico replaced Melendez as DH from Saturday’s lineup that beat OU 11-6 and had 15 hits. 
What two are you seeing that are not “regulars” and how did this affect the outcome?  Who would you have started in the game that would have changed the outcome?  Hansen and Witt gave up two HRs on two pitches that missed their spots. That was it. Both Texas and A&M started guys (in Hansen and Dettmer,) that will likely be weekend guys later in the season. It ended up being a pitcher’s duel. A&M made clutch hits and Texas didn’t. Let’s not make a mountain out of a mole hill. 

2 hours ago, joeywa said:

And not a single one of those games affect Texas Baseball in the grand scheme of things. They don’t affect the conference standings at all. And might I remind you that Texas just swept swept then #12 South Carolina (SEC) a mere two weeks back. BTW, that same South Carolina team swept #5 Florida over the weekend. 
Nobody is going to go undefeated. There will be games won or lost by 1-2 runs, and by 6-10 runs. It’s baseball. 
Trust me, I hate losing to those dolts as much as anyone, but at the end of the day, this game means squat. Bounce back and go to Lawrence tomorrow and take it out on KU and win that series. 

I get what you’re saying but take issue with several points:

> Losing games does effect the grand scheme of things.  Of course it does.  Losing to Aggie doesn’t effect the conference race, that is true.  
> I didn’t need reminding that we swept USC.  However, it is irrelevant to the point I made.  We are winless against the SEC West. 
> My expectation isn’t undefeated. I’m not an idiot (I know.... relative).   
> Winning or losing to Aggie does mean squat.  This was my whole point to begin with.  They still are our primary rival in this state and we recruit against them for most of the kids we go after.  Finally, beating Aggie makes my water cooler time at work much more pleasant...   it is always a huge game for the fans.  I disagree that it doesn’t mean squat.  

• joeywa unpinned this topic