Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shaka Smart and Texas appear to be parting ways

1 hour ago, tejasrulz said:

Word on the street is Shaka wanted an extension but CDC said no. So when Marquette came calling, he split.

I suspect Shaka misinterpreted the type of extension that was being considered. CDC was wanting Shaka to have an extended vacation not an extended contract. 

If Coach Smart actually believed he had earned a contract extension he’s either delusional or has an extremely low bar of expectation. 

I am glad we are no longer paying a glorified AAU coach millions of dollars a year. 

This is another reason besides entertainment that I want an up tempo offensive coach.

Let’s start with what led to Smart’s problems at Texas, and why he’s moving on to Marquette, where he no doubt will prosper once again. He won at VCU on the strength of his “havoc” defense. Which is why it wasn’t a little ironic that Joe Golding’s Abilene Christian upstarts displayed a confusing brand of defense to knock Smart out of the NCAAs this year.

But, as Billy Gillispie will tell you after his unfortunate detour to Kentucky, it’s hard to get bluebloods to play hard-nosed, down-and-dirty defense. And that explains why Smart couldn’t translate what worked best for him at VCU. Texas simply isn’t an underdog school.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/why-should-chris-beard-leave-his-current-coaching-situation-for-texas/ar-BB1f0FRJ?ocid=BingNewsSearch

6 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

If you want a full arena, you have to win. Guess what you didn't do consistently, Shaka...win.

Yea there were plenty of fans when we were good. We just weren't ever good. We also committed to opening a Huge new arena to help fix that atmosphere as well.

1 hour ago, longhorn_mig said:

If you want a full arena, you have to win. Guess what you didn't do consistently, Shaka...win.

and, yet, he averaged almost 12k fans per game over a crappy 6 yrs. this is including the sub-10k attendance the last two yrs and still that is more than VCU arena can hold, which is 100% at 8k attendance.  Shaka actually got better support and attendance than he deserved based on the product he put on the floor.  Pretty classless statement by Shaka

53 minutes ago, primal defense said:

That jerk Tom Herman didn't say a think about failing at Texas when he was hired by Chicago Bears. You would think he would have a press conference to announce how he screwed up at UT.

This is a good thread to shit on the ex coaches.

Come to think of it, I'm still pissed at John Mackovic.

15 hours ago, primal defense said:

Tomorrow is the day. I don't know if it's true, but I heard Tech was offering a 10 year deal.

If they think today was the first day we've talked to Beard then they are crazy...

9 hours ago, TB14 said:

If they think today was the first day we've talked to Beard then they are crazy...

agree. CDC and Beard had to have been talking and greasing the skids for a while to pull this off like clockwork.  I dont see how it could have gone better: Shaka underachieved setting the stage, he found a soft landing spot saving UT millions, and Beard agreeing to long term contract on the day his buyout drops by a million. naw, all the BBs had to be put in the box at the right time for a long term agreement to even be feasible - that doesnt happen in a day