Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• Administrators

vic_schaeffer_ut32ucla.jpg
Photo: Texas Athletics

Vic Shaefer and the Texas Women's Basketball team advanced to the Sweet 16 of the Women's NCAA Basketball Tournament with a 71-62 win over third seed UCLA on Wednesday night.  Texas, a 6 seed, held the Bruins to just 14 points at halftime - which tied a season record for points allowed after two quarters.  The Longhorns' biggest lead of the night was 21 points, sending the 'Horns into the locker room at halftime with a 35-14 advantage.

Guard Celeste Taylor shot 9-17 from the floor, leading the Longhorns in scoring with 24 points.  Kyra Lambert and Joanne Allen-Taylor also scored double digits, with Lambert contributing 17 points and Allen-Taylor scoring 16.

Chari Collier grabbed 5 rebounds and scored 5 points on the night.

Texas shot 51% compared the UCLA's 33%.

The win marks what will be the 16th Sweet 16 appearance for the Texas Women's Basketball program.

Up next for the Longhorns is No. 2 seed Maryland on Sunday night at the Alamodome.

The game will be televised at 8 pm CT on ESPN.

2 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

Can he coach the men's team? Asking for a friend

I watched a lot of the game last night.  The team moved on offense.  They looked like they knew where to go and what they were doing on offense...  and defense.  After watching the men's team this year, last night was refreshing.

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

I watched a lot of the game last night.  The team moved on offense.  They looked like they knew where to go and what they were doing on offense...  and defense.  After watching the men's team this year, last night was refreshing.

I watched too and that sums up what I saw. They also don’t have the over all talent the men do, in my opinion. Great job by those ladies!!