Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kai Jones says goodbye, declares for NBA Draft

• Administrators

USATSI_15658567_168380999_lowres.jpg
Photo: Kelsey Kremer/The Register via Imagn Content Services

Texas forward Kai Jones announced his departure from the program on Wednesday evening, opting to forego his final two seasons with the Longhorns to enter 2021 NBA Draft.  

Jones, a 6-11, 218 lb. Nassau, Bahamas native, improved his draft stock substantially this season, helping the Longhorns win the Big 12 Tournament and subsequently earning a 3-seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Jones averaged 8.8 points and 4.8 rebounds per game while shooting 58%, including 38.2% from three-point range.

Most draft services have Jones expected to be drafted in the mid-late first round.

Jones' full statement:

"It was truly an honor to represent the Texas Longhorns for the past two seasons and suit up with my brothers night in and night out.  I want to thank Coach Smart, the staff and my teammates for pushing me and helping me grown on ad off the court. I feel like I’ve improve as a player, a teammate and a person as a Longhorn. My time here has set me up to be successful as a take the next steps in my career.”

"Since I can remember, having the chance to play in the National Basketball Association has been my dream. Growing up in the Bahamas, not many of my peers have had the opportunity that I have in front of me now, the ability to achieve those dreams. And for that I want to thank my family, especially my mom and dad, for providing me the opportunity to be in the position I am in today. My story is just beginning, but I’ve already come so far and my journey to this point truly has prepared me for this moment."

"With that being said, I will be declaring for the 2021 NBA Draft!  I will be relinquishing my collegiate eligibility and intend to sign with an agent, but it’s forever #HookEm."

• Administrators
16 hours ago, TB14 said:

Most mocks I've seen show Kai going at the back end of the lottery. Should be a good payday for him!

It was a good move by him.  He knows his worth and has the draft stock to prove it.  This isn't a Myck Kabongo type of decision.  The man will get paid!

Pay Day Money GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST