Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*****Game Thread: #14 Texas Longhorns vs. # #17 Kansas Jayhawks*****

• Administrators

USATSI_15436366_168380999_lowres.jpg

It's Senior Night at the Frank Erwin Center as Texas hosts Kansas.  The Longhorns dismantled the Jayhawks earlier this season in Lawrence with an 84-59 win.  After a strong start, Shaka Smart's team has lost four of their last six.  The Big 12 Conference Tournament looms as does the NCAA Tournament, and the Longhorns are in desperate need of a win to somewhat right the ship.

The Longhorns will make up previously postponed games (due to COVID-19) the week of March 1-7.  Texas will make up the following games, all on the road, on these dates:

Tuesday, March 2 - Texas @ Iowa State
Thursday, March 4 - Texas @ Oklahoma
Sunday, March 7 - Texas @ TCU

What:  #12 Texas Longhorns (13-6 7-5) vs. #17 Kansas Jayhawks (17-7, 11-5)
When:  Tuesday, February 23, 2021
Time:  8:00 PM
Venue:  Frank Erwin Center
Television:  ESPN

Last meeting between these two teams: Texas defeated West Virginia 84-59 (January 2, 2021 - Lawrence, KS)
All-time series record:  Kansas leads Texas 35-10

10 hours ago, TB14 said:

Big win! Team didn’t quit. I know y’all hate Shaka but this team is still a Sweet 16 caliber group. 

It was a big win, sweeping Kansas in the season for the first time ever (I believe that's true) is huge!

I don't "hate" Shaka, I don't even dislike him, in fact I like the guy. Be that said, the past couple of years he has not lived up to his hype. It's also hard to see this year's team lose 2 big leads at home against Tech & WV. That just brings out the frustration in some.

33 minutes ago, Ntx dog said:

Don't hate. He just hasn't done squat while here. More likely a 1 and done than a sweet 16.

I strongly disagree. They don't have a bad loss this year. Their only losses are to teams projected to be a 6 seed or higher. I don't see them losing to a Wright St or Colgate in the first round. Maybe in the 2nd round to a team like Purdue or Arkansas but still don't think it's likely.

12 hours ago, TB14 said:

Big win! Team didn’t quit. I know y’all hate Shaka but this team is still a Sweet 16 caliber group. 

I’ll speak for myself..... I certainly don’t hate Shaka.  I root for his success and haven’t given up on the prospect that will happen here in a mighty way.  

As a basketball coach he has some really good characteristics and some that really hamper us.  A couple dichotomy examples below: 

Great recruiter, but favors athleticism over shooting to a fault (it appears).  The game has changed... Shaka recruits for how the game was played in the 80s.

Kids play really hard for Shaka, but he lacks as a game manager.  Particularly at the end of games.

I hope Shaka succeeds.  I hope he is open to making a few tweaks to get us to the next level.  

1 hour ago, TB14 said:

I strongly disagree. They don't have a bad loss this year. Their only losses are to teams projected to be a 6 seed or higher. I don't see them losing to a Wright St or Colgate in the first round. Maybe in the 2nd round to a team like Purdue or Arkansas but still don't think it's likely.

Thet just seem to go through long stretches of games where the offense becomes stagnant and the other team makes a run. And our defense seems to be affected during that same stretch as well as their discipline. I'll root for them of coarse but I get the sense with this team that they could pull off a monumental upset ir be on the receiving end of one.