Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weather thread. (can’t find my nuts)

4 hours ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

Anyone have any tips to thaw out pipes?  We've tried everything we know, but still have a couple of sinks and faucets with no water coming out. 

TIA

Where in the house is the frozen pipe?

I had a 2nd story bathroom faucet freeze yesterday. I put a space heater next to the wall on the 1st floor where I knew the water line ran up to the second floor. In an hour, it was thawed.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope this finds all of you guys in a warm space.  Wow, what a handful of days it has been.  We finally have power and heat back after 72 hours, but no water.  Everyone hang in there and remember to

10 below here in Amarillo now.

For flushing fortunately I have a pool. I have kept the equipment running so that it hasn’t frozen. It’s a 18,000 gallon pool. If I need that much for flushing the toilet then we’re all going to die a

Posted Images

I was without power for around 24 hours here in East Texas. Finally came on yesterday (it was the rolling outages), but its been on since last night without going off. Water pressure is down, but I still have some. Luckily I was able to stay at grandparents down the road who has generators and has had rolling outages consistently since Sunday night/Monday morning. Been a rough few days, but we made it through here in Sulphur Springs. Luckily I can go back to work tomorrow. 

13 minutes ago, HORNfromETX said:

I was without power for around 24 hours here in East Texas. Finally came on yesterday (it was the rolling outages), but its been on since last night without going off. Water pressure is down, but I still have some. Luckily I was able to stay at grandparents down the road who has generators and has had rolling outages consistently since Sunday night/Monday morning. Been a rough few days, but we made it through here in Sulphur Springs. Luckily I can go back to work tomorrow. 

Good for you, but I'm surprised to hear this. My family in Longview tells me there is 8 inches of snow on the ground there and the roads aren't melting it very well.

I'm just glad to hear someone is about to get back to normal. We won't be able to work until Monday.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Where in the house is the frozen pipe?

I had a 2nd story bathroom faucet freeze yesterday. I put a space heater next to the wall on the 1st floor where I knew the water line ran up to the second floor. In an hour, it was thawed.

11 minutes ago, UTfish said:

Heat gun or hair dryer will work if you know where the pipes run.

Thanks fellas. I tried both of these. Finally got cold water, now trying to get the hot to work. I have the exact same scenario as you SHA. Unfortunately the pipe runs along the exterior wall, so it may take a while before I can get it going.

I appreciate the advice..

14 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Good for you, but I'm surprised to hear this. My family in Longview tells me there is 8 inches of snow on the ground there and the roads aren't melting it very well.

I'm just glad to hear someone is about to get back to normal. We won't be able to work until Monday.

The roads are still a pain here and will be until probably Monday.

12 minutes ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

Unfortunately the pipe runs along the exterior wall, so it may take a while before I can get it going.

Mine did, too. Just keep that space heater going next to that wall where you think the water line is running to the second floor. Remember, heat rises.

In my set up, the first floor half-bath is located just beneath the guest bathroom on the second floor (where I had no water). I opened the cabinets beneath the 1st floor sink and aimed my space heater at it full blast.

Good luck my friend.

6 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

I found them. I can see them but I can’t feel ‘em. 

Got up this morning and we have no water. The entire city of Huntsville water system has gone kaput. Frozen pumps or at least that’s what they say.

Man, that sucks. Same thing happened in Dallas this morning. Lewisville is helping them fill in the gaps and now we've been told to conserve water today.

No problem, at least I was able to shower this morning. Its there if I need it, but I have a supply of bottled water for drinking.

37 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Mine did, too. Just keep that space heater going next to that wall where you think the water line is running to the second floor. Remember, heat rises.

In my set up, the first floor half-bath is located just beneath the guest bathroom on the second floor (where I had no water). I opened the cabinets beneath the 1st floor sink and aimed my space heater at it full blast.

Good luck my friend.

Took a while but finally got it... had this happen before, but I guess it's never been this cold. Just glad the pipe didn't bust. Thanks fellas!!

3 hours ago, Bear19 said:

I found them. I can see them but I can’t feel ‘em. 

Got up this morning and we have no water. The entire city of Huntsville water system has gone kaput. Frozen pumps or at least that’s what they say.

We've been out of water since Saturday. Stored some up for this, but still...

Store plenty of drinking water. 

Only flush when you feel like you have to. "When it's yellow, let it mellow. When it's brown, flush it down." Good idea to have Mr. Clean or Pine sol handy to keep the odor tolerable. 

For flushing, I have hot tub on back patio. One handy bucket and voila. Power came on today. Generator is nice, but heat is better! The other night all of the smoke alarms went off. On the back of each smoke alarm state they go off at temperatures >100 and < 50. Weather app said inside temperature was 42 and outside temp was 9. That was an adventure! Lol 

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I have a koi pond that is completely frozen, from top to bottom. The waterfall froze over as well, making a spectacular display of ice.

When this thaws, the koi will just squirm out of the ice and swim away. Amazing how they do that.

Can you post a picture of it? Would like to see that.

36 minutes ago, UTfish said:

Can you post a picture of it? Would like to see that.

I will tomorrow. I had put a tarp over the pond part because a whooping crane (must be aggy) kept trying to eat my koi. So there is a layer of 8 inches of snow of the top. But you can see the waterfall in all its frozen glory. lol

I had to shut the pumps off because they were no longer pumping water. Cold water has lots of oxygen in it tho.

Wow, this sounds awful.  Hope everyone is doing better now.  I grew up in San Antonio and I remember the 1985 snow storm of 13 inches. Don't remember the power going out then.  Been through a couple of 28+ inch snow storms when I lived in the DC area and been through some major ice storms and bitter cold when i lived in the St. Louis area.  Never lost power or water in any of those.  I can't imagine the horror.  Stay strong everyone and be well.

16 minutes ago, texbound said:

Wow, this sounds awful.  Hope everyone is doing better now.  I grew up in San Antonio and I remember the 1985 snow storm of 13 inches. Don't remember the power going out then.  Been through a couple of 28+ inch snow storms when I lived in the DC area and been through some major ice storms and bitter cold when i lived in the St. Louis area.  Never lost power or water in any of those.  I can't imagine the horror.  Stay strong everyone and be well.

Welcome to the world of green energy.