echeese

So would you call this an elite staff?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How say you HS

• Yes, elite
    • I like'em but call me when TEXAS wins the BigXII
    • Average/not bad
    • These guys suck

I'm sure we'll get a breakdown from the really smart guys but from the Cheap Seats, it looks like Sark has landed an outstanding group of coaches moving forward.   And let's be candid (I'm always honest), #1 problem of both CFS & CTH was far too many "comfort hires" out of the gate.    I will even argue (and did so years ago) that had Mack hired a DC on the level of GD or even close, he would have enjoyed even more success.

Like most casual observers of CFB, I had no clue who Coach Pete Kwiatkowski  (Quick-cow-ski) was or his background.  I did know UDub played some serious and fundementally sound defense but I gave now UDub HC Coach Lake most of the credit.  Seems that was short sighted and Coach K deserves more than a little acclaim himself.   He is also a DC interested in being a DC, he turned down returning to Boise St as the head man.

Coach K also seems fine with Sark lining up his staff for him, his rep is as a non-ego kinda guy.  What is also interesting is that he is extremely well regarded as a DC but Sark was too busy looking East till he finally looked West.  Hope that back story comes out one day, I'm curious when was the 1st time Sark reached out to him.

Coach K has Bo Davis (2nd time as the TEXAS DL coach) along the DL.   He's solid and a good recruiter.

Asumming Coach K takes the LBs

Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon will coach the secondary.   Joseph from ND and comes with a good reputation as both recruiter and talent developer.  He will be the "passing game coordinator"   Blake is considered a rising star in coaching circles.

Rumors have Oscar Giles staying on board in an analyst role.

Clearly the offense runs through Sark who has brought his "right hand man" at Bama over as the QB coach AJ Milwee

TE's & STs will be run by uber recruiting star Jeff Banks.   I'm guessing we'll finally start using TEs in our offense.

Stan Drayton, RBs & Andre Coleman, WRs have been retained.   Coleman was rewarded with the commit of a 4 Star WR out of Flower Mound with Sark's announcment as HC.   Nice way to kick of the new era.  Not sure if it has been announced but I believe Sark is still pursuing Holman Wiggings, WR coach at Bama (another uber recruiter).  If he's hired, Coleman moves to an analyst spot we assume.

Saving my favorite (after Sark, but Coach K might be there too) new hire for last.   Kyle Flood has come over to coach the OL.   He is considered one of the Top 5 OL coaches in the nation, is adept at recruiting OLs and coaching them up to be high NFL draft picks.

So that's the 8 Sark wants to play and I have to say, it's nice to see an HC bring in some of the best in the land at their positions than to hire his "not ready for prime time" players like the last two.

Especially on defense, will be interesting to see how fast the team gels around a new system as Coach K runs a 2-4-5 as a base D, though it does look a great deal like a 4-3 or a 4-2-5 at times.

Screw it, I'm drinking the kool aid with extra sugar.

PS, this from my boy Cujo posted elsewhere and shamelessly stolen

If you have some time, go and check UDub's game vs Bama in the CFPlayoffs from 2016. Mind you, it was 4 years ago, but man what a defensive clinic.

Bama came into the game

Averaging over 471 yds per game

Averging over 40.5 pts per game

vs UW

Bama offense

17 pts

324 yds

Jalen Hurts went 7/14 for 57 ds.

The only thing good for bama that day was Bo Scarborough

UW offense did them no favors with 3 TO (one being a pick 6) and only having 194 yds of total offense.

So how do you vote on something like this? Why shouldn't we just expect the same thing we've seen over and over. We're snake bitten. We placed our hopes in Charlie. Then we thought we had the man in Herman. So why wouldn't Sark just be another one of them?

I think this is why (taken from @echeese's post):

"So that's the 8 Sark wants to play and I have to say, it's nice to see an HC bring in some of the best in the land at their positions than to hire his "not ready for prime time" players like the last two."

These are coaches that command respect from their pupils. They are proven developers of talent. Proven winners in scheme and game planning. These are coaches who ARE capable of creating something very special at Texas. That's what's different. And thats why I say "pass me the damned Kool-Aid."

We will beat OU next year. I said it here first.

Although I am no expert, it speaks volumes to me that many if not all of the previous schools lamented the loss of these coaches. With the last two regimes, there was promise of great hires for the staff only to end up with coaches that were being begged to leave. I can not think of one of the new coaches that were being pushed out the door of their previous school. That is a refreshing change. All of that said, beat OU in October without giving up half a hundred, going to OT, or saying "winning is hard" and I'll be happy....until the next L.😂

On 1/19/2021 at 7:19 PM, Eastexhorn said:

if not elite its the closest to it since DKR days.

I was thinking the same thing, and I doubt DKR cared a thing about Mensa unless it meant his players could spend more time in the film room. 

On 1/19/2021 at 9:39 PM, NEOkHorn said:

Although I am no expert, it speaks volumes to me that many if not all of the previous schools lamented the loss of these coaches. With the last two regimes, there was promise of great hires for the staff only to end up with coaches that were being begged to leave. I can not think of one of the new coaches that were being pushed out the door of their previous school. That is a refreshing change. All of that said, beat OU in October without giving up half a hundred, going to OT, or saying "winning is hard" and I'll be happy....until the next L.😂

Well said.

Yes, most of the schools were pissed Sark stole their guys.   I think Saban blessed teh Flood move as he knew he'd lose at least one but certainly not happy about Mr "Pole Assassin" Banks.

UDub PISSED at losing Coach K.

PS,  rumors on the interwebs abound that the LB coach will be Jimmy Nansen from UCLA will be nabbed.  His rep is as a 1st rate recruiter.

This staff can land some talent.

8 hours ago, echeese said:

Well said.

Yes, most of the schools were pissed Sark stole their guys.   I think Saban blessed teh Flood move as he knew he'd lose at least one but certainly not happy about Mr "Pole Assassin" Banks.

UDub PISSED at losing Coach K.

PS,  rumors on the interwebs abound that the LB coach will be Jimmy Nansen from UCLA will be nabbed.  His rep is as a 1st rate recruiter.

This staff can land some talent.

It sounds like Nansen will stay at UCLA. Expect someone we haven't heard of as the LB coach. 

On 1/19/2021 at 12:53 PM, echeese said:

I'm sure we'll get a breakdown from the really smart guys but from the Cheap Seats,

since you obviously said this directly to me I have to sheepishly say I have yet to fully examine this staff. However, being widely known as the Worlds Greatest Authority does compel me to say.....what do you think?.....chances are good....it is decidedly so...

Sorry I cant make more sense, but I am so Kool aide drunk that I can barely remember that our 1st game is a trap delux. If we blow them out I will never be able to get out of recovery.....Seriously, when you pull several coaches out of the clutches of the Great Satin, you must be on the right path.

My big question is....Was Sark calling the games from the press box or the field? Hopefully the field because as the head guy that is where he has to be.....well....unless he is Gil Steinke who sat in Row 12 of the student section (true story).

Hell yeah this is elite staff. Lol on the prove it with a Big 12 Championship. Where's the option for it's elite when we win the NC.

It sounds like some people have been let down in the past. I have the following coach's as A+ hires: Sark as OC, Flood as OL, Banks TE, Kwiatkowski DC, Davis  DL.  I also believe that Choate and Gideon will be A+ hires.

24 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

since you obviously said this directly to me I have to sheepishly say I have yet to fully examine this staff. However, being widely known as the Worlds Greatest Authority does compel me to say.....what do you think?.....chances are good....it is decidedly so...

Sorry I cant make more sense, but I am so Kool aide drunk that I can barely remember that our 1st game is a trap delux. If we blow them out I will never be able to get out of recovery.....Seriously, when you pull several coaches out of the clutches of the Great Satin, you must be on the right path.

My big question is....Was Sark calling the games from the press box or the field? Hopefully the field because as the head guy that is where he has to be.....well....unless he is Gil Steinke who sat in Row 12 of the student section (true story).

Sark will be on the sideline.

2 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Sark will be on the sideline.

I know he will be on the sideline....but is that where he was for Alabama as the OC or was he in the press box? I ask this because if he was used to calling the plays from the press box, it might be an issue.

3 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

I know he will be on the sideline....but is that where he was for Alabama as the OC or was he in the press box? I ask this because if he was used to calling the plays from the press box, it might be an issue.

He has HC experience. I'm pretty confident he's either used to or can call a game from the sidelines just fine 

On 1/21/2021 at 7:13 PM, primal defense said:

It sounds like Nansen will stay at UCLA. Expect someone we haven't heard of as the LB coach. 

Looks like Choate is an excellent pick up.

On 1/23/2021 at 12:21 PM, oldhorn2 said:

Had not intended to direct this at you but appreciate the feedback none the less.

3 hours ago, echeese said:

Looks like Choate is an excellent pick up.

Had not intended to direct this at you but appreciate the feedback none the less.

Damn Cheese...I didnt really think you addressed it to me....I was being a smart ass...well....except for that part about being the Worlds Foremost Authority.....