Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Game Thread: #4 Texas @ #14 West Virginia

• Administrators

14132292.jpeg

The Longhorns look to continue their winning ways as they travel to Morgantown to face a ranked Mountaineer team on Saturday.  

Texas notched their third Big 12 victory on Tuesday, defeating Iowa State in Austin 78-72.

West Virginia defeated Oklahoma State 87-84 in Stillwater to even their Big 12 record at 2-2.

What:  #4 Texas Longhorns (9-1, 3-0) vs. West Virginia Mountaineers (9-3, 2-2)
When:  Saturday, January 9, 2021
Time:  12:00 NOON
Venue:  WVU Coliseum
Television:  ESPN

Last meeting between these two teams: Texas defeated West Virginia 67-57 (Feb. 24, 2020; Austin, TX)
All-time series record:  Texas leads West Virginia 12-9.

Great win. Kept plugging along and took advantage of the big shot opportunity. Congrats to Jones!!! 
I tough defense, toughness, and effort were great. Offense lagged at time but WV is always good at mucking things up. Winning these types of games is big.

I’m starting to become a believer. Not sure they are #4 team in the country, but they are good. 

Hook ‘em

1 minute ago, Baron said:

It's time to get excited about this team.

Right now you have to give props to CDC for not firing Shaka.

I don’t think he had a choice at the time. I thought Shaka should go, I’ll admit it. I’m glad to eat crow because I think Shaka is a great dude and representative of UT. If you don’t like Shaka the person, you need to check yourself.

2 minutes ago, Huskie1 said:

I don’t think he had a choice at the time. I thought Shaka should go, I’ll admit it. I’m glad to eat crow because I think Shaka is a great dude and representative of UT. If you don’t like Shaka the person, you need to check yourself.

I think last year played out a lot like this year regarding Herman. The only difference was Herman didn't represent the university with even a modicum of dignity and class, while Shaka oozes it.

1 hour ago, longhorn_mig said:

Amazing that team only hit 4 3-pointers (all by AJ1) and still won.

Good point.  They slowly and methodically stayed in striking distance (down by 9 at one point) by playing good defense and attacking the rim. I wish their box outs were a little better, but that's about it. I believe that 3ptr by AJ was the only made 3ptr of the 2nd half.  When i coached HS Bball, kids easily fell in love with that shot. I used to tell them that you will lose more games than you win by settling for the long ball.  Even the greatest shooters only hit 45-50% of those shots. Attacking basket and increase the %.  Sure, there are some nights when you're on fire, but those are few and far between.

I was helping my buddy again yesterday so I taped the game.

First of all what a clutch 3 to end the game by A Jones! Fitting it was on the 3 yr anniversary of Smart telling the team of his battle with cancer. He was also the only Texas player to hit a 3 for the game. Great to see that young man fight back to not only play but play at a high level.

If you would have told me Texas would shoot 20% from the 3's and Sims would have a bad day, I would have thought Texas would have lost.

Glad to see the Horns drive towards the basket, they need to do that more. It was also good to see Shaka get vocal with the refs more. There was a couple of times he was right and they were wrong.

Good win on the road for the team, especially after what happened last year there.