Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steve Sarkisian named head coach at Texas

Not real high on Odom and I am much closer to this than probably anyone else on this board as I live here in NW Arkansas and cover the Hogs. Missouri absolutely torched his defense in the finale. IMO, there are better DCs out there than Odom. That white DB that intercepted the three passes against Ole Miss was torched repeatedly the rest of the season. Like my old BKB coach used to tell me when I'd score a few points in mop-up time ... even a bling squirrel can find a few acorns. 

8 minutes ago, NWAHorn said:

Not real high on Odom and I am much closer to this than probably anyone else on this board as I live here in NW Arkansas and cover the Hogs. Missouri absolutely torched his defense in the finale. IMO, there are better DCs out there than Odom. That white DB that intercepted the three passes against Ole Miss was torched repeatedly the rest of the season. Like my old BKB coach used to tell me when I'd score a few points in mop-up time ... even a bling squirrel can find a few acorns. 

Lack the Jimmy's.

12 minutes ago, NWAHorn said:

I live in Litte Rock, went to Hendrix and have spent a ton of time in Rogers. Hogs fans adore Barry Odom

Only defensive coaches I would want back are potentially Ash, Giles, and Hutzler. Wouldn't mind if everyone left or they kept that core. Valai and Hagan didn't seem to make a difference from the previous year.

11 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

screw Muscamp! He had one good year here, one bad year here and then ran off when we needed him.

Who wouldn't have taken the Head Coaching job at Florida?

If you have good coaches, inevitably they get hired away or get raises.

48 minutes ago, zion3d said:

More to my point.  What is it about Sark that makes them say with such conviction that he is the man to lead our program?  Your point is well taken.  

Well, Sark had allegedly been offered HC opportunities at Colorado, South Carolina, and Auburn the past two seasons. He's in demand and certainly has the experience. I guess we've decided to try the Saban coaching tree since the last two former Meyer assistants didn't work out.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Captain Hookem said:

Any idea why he's not interested in keeping Ash?

I don't believe it's a case of not being interested in Ash, but more of seeking out the best fit and sorting through what each candidate would want as far as their philosophy, coaches they'd want to bring along, etc.

Sark is going to pick the defensive guy that he thinks best complements the offense that they will run.  As many have said we need to play complementary football.  I think he is open to Ash but does not feel obligated to keep him in order to appease the players or fans.  Ultimately his hire will be the dude that he thinks will bring him the most success at Texas, period!  Time will prove whether his decisions are spot on.  I think the DC position its likely between Ash and Odom.

• Administrators

More from OrangeBloods...

- Tosh Lupoi (DL) and Holmon Wiggins (WRs) are being called "serious" candidates to join Sark's new staff.

- Sark has officially reached out to another DC in Derrick Ansley of Tennessee.

- he's also contacted LSU DBs coach/recruiting coordinator, Corey Raymond.

21 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Well, Sark had allegedly been offered HC opportunities at Colorado, South Carolina, and Auburn the past two seasons. He's in demand and certainly has the experience. I guess we've decided to try the Saban coaching tree since the last two former Meyer assistants didn't work out.

Me thinks that Nick Saban also had something to do with them hiring Sark as in a good recommendation.  Believe me if Saban told CDC that Sark would be a great hire for the head coach position at Texas there was no more vetting or contemplating that needed to happen.  Saban spoke and CDC listened and obeyed. Just hope that Saban wasn't poisoning the well.  

4 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

- Tosh Lupoi (DL) and Holmon Wiggins (WRs) are being called "serious" candidates to join Sark's new staff.

1. Both would be good hires. I would give Lupoi a co-DC at best though. Wiggins is solid hire.

2. I've heard Ainsley's name a lot in the last 24 hours. Several members of the Tennessee staff are wanting out. Ainsley would be a solid DB hire – or – co-DC. Since Raymond is listed, I assume Ainsley would be targeted as a co-DC.

3. Raymond is an ace recruiter. I think we lost DB hotshot (Florida) Tim Irvin to this guy. Have heard nothing but glowing things about his coaching and his recruiting.

5 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

Not sure who to trust on the source wars OB is typically money on the staff stuff but IT has been killing it. I don’t want Ansley as DC but he would be a good staff addition. Things are looking good on the Banks front if we end up with Lupoi then I’d be extremely happy with sark

• TFloss32 locked and unpinned this topic