Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steve Sarkisian named head coach at Texas

1 hour ago, TFloss32 said:

not bad, not bad at all.  I would have preferred someone like Wiggins as receiver coach but, overall, this is a very strong staff. 

QB: AJ Milwee (Alabama/Arkansas State)
RB/RGC: Stan Drayton (Texas)
WR: Andre Coleman (Texas)
TE/AHC/STC: Jeff Banks (Alabama)
OL/OC: Kyle Flood (Alabama)

Co-DC/OLB: Pete Kwiatkowski (Washington)
Co-DC/ILB: Jeff Choate (Montana St HC)
DL: Bo Davis (Detroit Lions)
PGC/Secondary: Terry Joseph (Notre dame D-PGC)
Safeties: Blake Gideon (Miss St; Texas legacy)

I can't express how pleased I am with this group of new coaches.  I personally did not want Urban Myers ( too full of himself and wanted way too much money).  I think Sark is perfect.  The surprise homerun may turn out to be Pete K (eleven letter name as someone called him earlier).  For the first time since Mack Brown I am excited for Texas Football.  I have an Aggie friend who follows college football closely, who called me earlier and said he feels for the first time since Brown we may have gotten it right.

The Kwiatkowski  hire at DC has me most excited. I wanted the DC to be able to plan, make adjustments and be able to defense OU.I just didn't know that PK was the guy. 

A good indication on how PK did against the same offense as OU is Washington State and Mike Leach. Pete faced Leach's offense for six years and it's impressive on how well he did.

2014 Washington State averaged 31.8 pts per game. PK held him to 13 pts

2015 Washington State averaged 31.5 pts per game. PK held him to 10 pts

2016 Washington State averaged 38.2 pts per game. PK held him to 17 pts

2017 Washington State averaged 30.3 pts per game. PK held him to 14 pts

2018 Washington State averaged 37.5 pts per game. PK held him to 15 pts

2019 Washington State averaged 37.8 pts per game. PK held him to 13 pts

UW's defense against #5 OSU in 2018 Rose Bowl ran a 4 DL base scheme (mostly 3-man DL w/jack,buck,WDE, etc). They held the powerful OSU offense to 28 pts.

Kwiatkowski's defenses ranked inside the top 25 of FEI or S&P+ 10 times.

Washingtons FEI Defense rankings
'19 Washington (#16)
'18 Washington (#6)
'17 Washington (#14)
'16 Washington (#6)
'15 Washington (#5)
'14 Washington (#23)

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I gotta say, I don't care for the co-DC thing. It seems like a set up for confusion or worse. Nevertheless, I hope it works.

Less of a concern imo when both are working the similar positions ILBs & OLBs. Never liked the DL coach as running game coordinator and the DBs coach as the passing game coordinator.

20 hours ago, primal defense said:

I disagree with you. Urban Meyer not coming to Texas has nothing to do with not wanting Stoops. UT fans not wanting Stoops shows the intelligence of the UT fan base.

The same fan base that called for DKR and Greg Davis to be fired? 

My point was Texas hired this man to coach and he should be allowed to pick his staff. He has worked with Stoops for the past couple of years at Bama so maybe Stoops, like Stark, has changed?

Too late now so lets hope for the best.

2 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

My point was Texas hired this man to coach and he should be allowed to pick his staff. He has worked with Stoops for the past couple of years at Bama so maybe Stoops, like Stark, has changed?

I agree with you 99% of the time. The exception is Mike Stoops. I don't think the fans stopped Sark from hiring  him. It probably had more to do with the BMDs.

I heard they told Sark that Zack Arnett didn't have enough experience for the DC. I like the PK hire better, however if Sark wanted Arnett than he should be able to hire him.

2 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

School admin/professors were calling for DKR to retire because they thought he had become too powerful and paid too much. GD was a completely different circumstance which included the fans;

The only issue with DKR is that like Mack, he seemed to have gotten bored with the job. His best friend, Frank Broyles had moved on from coaching because recruiting had become a total bagman farce. DKR was sorta leaning that way. The big issue I always thought was Fred Akers had become the hottest coaching commodity in the country and if we didnt get him from Wyoming, someone else was going to. Unlike Mack, I think DKR gladly stepped away.

Kwiatkowski also had experience against the Mike Leach-Lincoln Riley offense when he went against Sonny Dykes and Graham Harrell.

2014 California averaged 38.2 pts per game PK gave up 7 pts

2015 California averaged 37.9 pts per game PK gave up 24 pts  Texas gave up 44 pts against Cal

2016 California averaged 37.1 pts per game PK gave up 27 pts   Texas gave up 43 pts against Cal

2019 USC averaged  32.5 pts per game PK gave up 14

3 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

Tejas, sometimes you just have to inform a man that he's trying to hire Satan's brother.

Guys, I'm not a Stoops fan at all since I sat through all 3 of those ou beat downs in Dallas. My point was Stark should be able to hire who he wants as long as that person hasn't done anything illegal. If Urban or Saban stated they would come to Texas but only if Stoops was on their staff, do you think the BMDs would have said no? Something tells me they would have let bygones be bygones. 

Again, we got who we have and I'll support them. 

16 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Guys, I'm not a Stoops fan at all since I sat through all 3 of those ou beat downs in Dallas. My point was Stark should be able to hire who he wants as long as that person hasn't done anything illegal. If Urban or Saban stated they would come to Texas but only if Stoops was on their staff, do you think the BMDs would have said no? Something tells me they would have let bygones be bygones. 

Part of it, IMO, was that Stoops hasn't coached LBs since Rocky Calmus was around. The Big 12 is a very different place these days.

If there are other, good options for Sark, why do you go there?

3 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Part of it, IMO, was that Stoops hasn't coached LBs since Rocky Calmus was around. The Big 12 is a very different place these days.

If there are other, good options for Sark, why do you go there?

I agree with tejasrulz. I think that Sark probably has a better idea of position coaching in college than I do. I’m not sure what really goes into it. What mix of recruiting, coaching and relationship goes into it. I assume he’s better at it than us or the BMDs.  

4 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

I never thought M Stoops did anything illegal....I just thought he had no business coaching defense it big time college ball.....He was the mastermind of some of the worst defenses in OU history....

5 hours ago, Wayne said:

I agree with tejasrulz. I think that Sark probably has a better idea of position coaching in college than I do. I’m not sure what really goes into it. What mix of recruiting, coaching and relationship goes into it. I assume he’s better at it than us or the BMDs.  

I can see that you are a gentleman and a scholar. 

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

• TFloss32 locked and unpinned this topic