Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steve Sarkisian named head coach at Texas

55 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

My initial response is “I don’t like this.”  I think it has been a flawed strategy to combat run and shoot (early days) / spread offenses by removing DL and adding “speed” in their place.  Back to Buddy Ryan - he beat the early version of the “spread” by saying “I wager we get to the QB before you can throw it.”   2-4-5 sounds like a recipe to give up the run in an attempt to cover the pass.

Negativity aside.... I don’t know what these OLBs look like.   Maybe DE without a hand in the dirt?  Coach K certainly has seen positive results. And what do I know?  Sark might know a bit more than I....

When an offense is built on speed, how do you propose to counter that? The best 4-man rush in the world can't handle a mobile QB who only uses the pocket to snap the football. TCU is the only defense around here that has to come close to *at times* limiting or snuffing down today's spread offenses. 

Buddy Ryan brought the house almost every play and relied on shut down corners to close the passing window. But don't forget, these were *not* mobile QBs they were facing. It was a west coast spread that put more speed on the field but not anything like today's college offenses. 

I've said before there's nothing magical about a 4 or 3 man front (or even a 2 man). The chess game is making sure you have the right personnel on the field for the team and situation. There are *very few* DCs that can coach like this. The Tom Landry defense may have been the best ever, but even he said he couldn't always find players to make it work. 

Mobile QBs can really only be countered by LB/DE on the ends with speed to chase them. This may weaken the run defense but normally spread offenses use smaller personnel anyway. Against power teams the 2 man front can flex to a 4 man. Not many DCs can roll like that, so if Sark can find one that can more power to him. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

When an offense is built on speed, how do you propose to counter that? The best 4-man rush in the world can't handle a mobile QB who only uses the pocket to snap the football. TCU is the only defense around here that has to come close to *at times* limiting or snuffing down today's spread offenses. 

Buddy Ryan brought the house almost every play and relied on shut down corners to close the passing window. But don't forget, these were *not* mobile QBs they were facing. It was a west coast spread that put more speed on the field but not anything like today's college offenses. 

I've said before there's nothing magical about a 4 or 3 man front (or even a 2 man). The chess game is making sure you have the right personnel on the field for the team and situation. There are *very few* DCs that can coach like this. The Tom Landry defense may have been the best ever, but even he said he couldn't always find players to make it work. 

Mobile QBs can really only be countered by LB/DE on the ends with speed to chase them. This may weaken the run defense but normally spread offenses use smaller personnel anyway. Against power teams the 2 man front can flex to a 4 man. Not many DCs can roll like that, so if Sark can find one that can more power to him. 

Pass rush beats the pass better than coverage.  Ideally without “sell out blitzes.”  That is what I propose.  Kind of what Ash was doing.  It’s my opinion... I’m not thrilled when I see 2-4-5 as the base defense.  If it works, great, I’ll break out the pom poms.

Are they going to tell Moro Ojomo (6-3 275) to "pick up his hand.... you're now an OLB." Or are they going to move Jawan Mitchell (6-1 230) across from the OT  and have him "mug the LOS?"  

The answer to this will either make me nod in approval or brace myself for discouragement.  

7 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Pass rush beats the pass better than coverage.  Ideally without “sell out blitzes.”  That is what I propose.  Kind of what Ash was doing.  It’s my opinion... I’m not thrilled when I see 2-4-5 as the base defense.  If it works, great, I’ll break out the pom poms.

Are they going to tell Moro Ojomo (6-3 275) to "pick up his hand.... you're now an OLB." Or are they going to move Jawan Mitchell (6-1 230) across from the OT  and have him "mug the LOS?"  

The answer to this will either make me nod in approval or brace myself for discouragement.  

In your rock/paper/scissors scenario...  RPO beats the best pass rush, which bets the best pass coverage. 

That's the point. The pocket you're crashing in the best 4 man rush scenario isn't there half the time. At that point you've got match up problems all over the field. 

As for individual personnel... these guys get moved around all the time. It's up to the defensive coaches to know how to rotate them.

Maybe not every player can move up and down the line. However I'd much rather a coach adjust his defense to the personnel than try to fit square pegs into round holes. The more flexible a defense then the better a DC can use his existing talent, instead of wishing he had somebody else. 

41 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

I seriously doubt a 2-4-5 will be his base scheme at Texas. Even at Texas, if it's 3rd down & 30,  they have used a two or three man front.  I dont know but I think we'll see a base 3 DL front pre-snap that becomes a four man front post snap moving a player like Ossai around for effectiveness for run-first offenses and a lot of Dime packages for pass-first offenses. 

This video doesnt show a lot of pre-snap alignments. The couple of times it does, they seem to be in a base of three with a floater (buck, jack, hemorrhoid, whatever they are calling it now). Regardless, what I like about this video is how they use the DBs. They are trained to play the defender and look for the BALL - what a concept!  I HATED how Texas DBs played this season. For whatever reason, they almost exclusively played the receiver resulting in a LOT of pass interference calls.  Had they looked for the ball as well as the receiver, they would have had at LEAST 6 interceptions this season - and probably a LOT more than six - and fewer PIs

1 hour ago, DBOOK23 said:

This staff is an A right now, give me one more rainmaker and you get a A+ Coach Sark

But that A+ is on the pop quiz and pop quizzes are only 10% of the grade.  After 11 years I'm a bit jaded, I'll reserve the grade until I see the results.

I do like what I see so far...  My expectations have been raised... but...

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

My initial response is “I don’t like this.”  I think it has been a flawed strategy to combat run and shoot (early days) / spread offenses by removing DL and adding “speed” in their place.  Back to Buddy Ryan - he beat the early version of the “spread” by saying “I wager we get to the QB before you can throw it.”   2-4-5 sounds like a recipe to give up the run in an attempt to cover the pass.

Negativity aside.... I don’t know what these OLBs look like.   Maybe DE without a hand in the dirt?  Coach K certainly has seen positive results. And what do I know?  Sark might know a bit more than I....

When I first looked at it I thought it seemed “gimmicky” but as I looked at what they do from a personnel standpoint it’s pretty solid. Two big/athletic  DT’s. One OLB/DE that sets the edge and rushes the passer. One OLB/DE that is speedy to rush or drop in coverage. Two traditional ILB’s to “seek and destroy” and 5 DB’s who cover, run support or blitz. With our current DT’s size and athletic ability you are almost requiring a double team inside at worst the center and both guards have their hands full. Everyone else is one on one blocking. If we have any edge rushing from our OLB’s we should be able to  pressure with 4 and blitz packages could overwhelm. Two DT’s and ILB’s should prevent running the ball between the Tackles and our team speed already takes away most running to the outside. 
With the right personnel and coaching (As with anything in football) it’s the ideal defense for the Big 12 offenses AKA spread. 
Outstanding hire by Sark. 

24 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

I believe we talked about him briefly a few pages ago, but OrangeBloods says keep an eye on UCLA's Johnny Nansen for the final staff spot.

He would make a lot of sense with his USC and West Coast ties.

https://247sports.com/coach/Johnny-Nansen-735/

If he can get us some of those big Samoan kids we would be in business. 618A8925-D6EF-4E1D-854B-8ED6F100DCDE.thumb.jpeg.68c019a7966a5565c2750353f09db908.jpeg

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, TB14 said:

Would he be a 2nd d-line coach? Or another LB coach?

Great question and I simply don't know right now.

He's coached literally all over the defensive side of the ball.

• Administrators

IT had an update from a Zoom call that Sark did...

- said he's excited to add Kwiatkowski because he's a "pain in the ass" to coach against, raved about his development of players and his evaluation/recruiting ability.

- mentioned Gideon and Joseph as DB coaches.

- it appears the final staff spot will go to an LBs coach, and Kwiatkowski will coach on the DL (edge rushers).

Great scoop for TFB. They made this call last night and had sat on it for 24 hours before that.

About the hire:

HOME RUN – How many times have we whined and complained about our inability to make half time adjustments? Kiss those days good bye!!! This guy excels in game planning, mid-game adjustments, and PLAY CALLING.

His weakness is recruiting but given a couple of years of success, his defense should recruit itself here at Texas. Nevertheless, he is surrounded by good recruiters on defense. He is innovative.

This guy should have been the first name out of the hat, IMO. I know we pined about Muschamp and others, but Sark could not have chosen a better DC.

These staff hires tell me two things.
We are finally acting like the wealthiest athletic program in the country instead of just talking about it. 
If Sark can put this quality of a staff together it’s obvious his coaching peers believe he’s a dude. Kid’s don’t want to play for pretenders (I won’t mention any names) if the coaches believe in him the kids will too. 

• TFloss32 locked and unpinned this topic