Find results in...

Steve Sarkisian named head coach at Texas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sark was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and he was asked out how difficult it’s going to be to out recruit Nick Saban, his response was, “I hope to still be here 15 years from now and people wil

quit making excuses for them would be a good start.  I have three separate lines of Cherokee and I dont hold ANYONE today responsible for the Trail of Tears, of which two of my Cherokee lineages were

Talked to an old friend yesterday who works with FBS ADs and Head Coaches around the country and he had this to say about what's going on at Texas: "Any fans dumb enough not to be crazy excited a

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RickyFlair said:

Coach K seems to run a base 2-2-2-5 (nickel) defense similar to what Gary Patterson runs. Two DT, two OLB/DE, two ILB’s and 5 DB’s. Very interesting defensive philosophy and very Sark like in terms of innovation. 

My initial response is “I don’t like this.”  I think it has been a flawed strategy to combat run and shoot (early days) / spread offenses by removing DL and adding “speed” in their place.  Back to Buddy Ryan - he beat the early version of the “spread” by saying “I wager we get to the QB before you can throw it.”   2-4-5 sounds like a recipe to give up the run in an attempt to cover the pass.

Negativity aside.... I don’t know what these OLBs look like.   Maybe DE without a hand in the dirt?  Coach K certainly has seen positive results. And what do I know?  Sark might know a bit more than I....

13 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

My initial response is “I don’t like this.”  I think it has been a flawed strategy to combat run and shoot (early days) / spread offenses by removing DL and adding “speed” in their place.  Back to Buddy Ryan - he beat the early version of the “spread” by saying “I wager we get to the QB before you can throw it.”   2-4-5 sounds like a recipe to give up the run in an attempt to cover the pass.

Negativity aside.... I don’t know what these OLBs look like.   Maybe DE without a hand in the dirt?  Coach K certainly has seen positive results. And what do I know?  Sark might know a bit more than I....

I dont disagree. I dont know Kwiatkowski from Krzyzewski but a good DC SHOULD be able to modify his scheme to fit the circumstance.  I like the idea that he has the experience and success against the air-raid offenses, which should put him in position to employ schemes against some of the Big12 offenses. If he can also install a 3 or 4 man front against run-first offenses, then we have a winner.  I suspect he was schooled with traditional defenses and modified for the air-raid (MWC & PAC12) so going back shouldnt be a problem, IMO

I dont care enough to do the research and too old to waste minutes more than I am now....  but it would be interesting to find out how coach K schemed his defenses around run-defenses.  

In 2014, he held oSu to 30 points

In 2015, he held #10 Stanford to 31 points

in 2016, he held #7 Stanford to 6 points; #9 CU to 10 points; & #1 Bama to 24 points 

In 2017, he held PSU to 35 points

And, in 2018, he held Auburn to 21 points; & o-HI-o St to 28 points.  

Those are some pretty good power offenses. 

We've actually had 19 defensive players drafted in the past 10 years. The big difference is when those players were being drafted. Our only 1st rounders were Kenny Vacarro in 2013 and Malcom Brown in 2015. The only 2nd rounder was Aaron Williams in 2011.

In that same timeframe, PK had 20 defensive players drafted. However, 5 players in the 1st round and 6 players in the 2nd round.

• TFloss32 locked and unpinned this topic