Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steve Sarkisian named head coach at Texas

• Administrators

USATSI_13642368_168380999_lowres.jpg

Just hours after firing Tom Herman after 4 years as head coach at Texas, the University of Texas hired Alabama offensive Coordinator Steve Sarkisian to replace him.

Sarkisian will serve in his third head coaching position, with previous stints at the University of Washington (2009-2013) and USC (2014-2015).  He played QB at El Camino College and BYU and served in the NFL as QB coach with the Oakland Raiders (2004) and OC of the Atlanta Falcons (2017-2018).

Sarkisian, the 2020 Broyles Award winner, has spent the last two years with the Alabama Crimson Tide as the Offensive Coordinator.  He will coach his final game with Alabama in the College Football Playoff Championship Game on January 11th.

Statement from Steve Sarkisian

"On Jan. 4, 2006, I was the USC quarterback coach when we played Texas in that famed national championship game. There has always been something special about Longhorn football, its history and traditions – not just on that day – and I could never have imagined that 15 years later, I would join the Longhorns as their head coach," Sarkisian commented. "This is a unique and compelling opportunity to lead this storied program to the next level, competing once again amongst the best in college football."

Statements on the Hiring of Steve Sarkisian

"We are excited to have Steve Sarkisian join us and lead the next chapter of our football program. University of Texas football has a long and proud history of competing at the highest levels within our conference and nationally, and he brings with him the coaching caliber and championship experience needed to restore this kind of excellence to our program." --Kevin Eltife, UT System Board of Regents Chair

"Hiring Steve Sarkisian represents a critical investment in our football program's future, not just for our student-athletes, but for all of Longhorn Nation. Our entire community benefits from a healthy and successful athletics program, and naming Steve as our coach infuses our football program with the necessary guidance and expertise to drive further success."  -- UT President Jay Hartzell

"Steve Sarkisian is one of the top offensive minds in the game of football, which he has proved over and over during his time with USC, Atlanta, and most recently, Alabama.  We are confident our players and coaches will thrive under his leadership and in response to his energy and passion for the game."  --Chris Del Conte, Vice President and Athletics Director

9 minutes ago, UT1983 said:

Fail to see the humor here.  Hope you never have an addiction that you appear to have under control only to have others never let you forget it. 

Perhaps the occasional reminder will keep Sark out of the bars and frat houses. My hope is he keeps his nose clean and performs up to our expectations. But, I have my doubts and am not particularly excited about this hire.

I certainly don't think Sark is worth the risk and $25 MM buyout. I hope he proves me wrong.

the Texas offense is going to give teams fits, We will see receivers run routes, picks and have balls thrown to them in space..Bijan is probably jumping up and down, knowing he will handle the rock more than ten times a game...I am excited...

Now about his DC...

2 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Perhaps the occasional reminder will keep Sark out of the bars and frat houses. My hope is he keeps his nose clean and performs up to our expectations. But, I have my doubts and am not particularly excited about this hire.

I certainly don't think Sark is worth the risk and $25 MM buyout. I hope he proves me wrong.

He doesn't need reminding. He battles it every day.  We'll be seeing enough of these from gaggie and bloklahoma. We don't need to be doing it from within.

When I finally got to my computer today, I was greeted with Herman Fired and Shaka's team putting it to Kansas at Phog Allen. What a great start to the day. Then when rumors came out that Steve Sarkisian was the front runner I had misgivings. Sarkisian was not a name that moved the needle for me. But after watching his introductory press conference I was impressed. I have a feeling that Texas may have gotten this right. Maybe I'm being caught up in the moment, but after Strong and Herman I would like to think that I am being objective about this. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Ntx dog said:

He doesn't need reminding. He battles it every day.  We'll be seeing enough of these from gaggie and bloklahoma. We don't need to be doing it from within.

Sure he does.

That's why AA has a 12-step program he's supposed to follow.

• TFloss32 locked and unpinned this topic