Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Texas secures biggest win of the season with 84-59 blowout of Kansas

864134C8-3EDA-4D23-AF02-6D28096CA889-1536x1101.jpeg

In his 6 season as head coach at Texas, Shaka Smart has had plenty of big wins. The Longhorns have knocked off North Carolina three times while also securing wins in several different seasons against strong Oklahoma, West Virginia and Texas Tech teams. None of those wins compare to the win he secured at Allen Fieldhouse on Saturday afternoon, blowing out 3rd ranked Kansas 84-59. The win improves the Longhorns record to 8-1 and 2-0 in Big 12 play.

Texas received a huge game from their frontcourt, with Jericho Sims turning in one of his best performances of the season to go along with a strong performance off the bench from Kai Jones. Sims registered a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds while having his way with the Kansas big men for much of the afternoon. Jones chipped in 12 points and 5 rebounds of his own, knocking down 2 of 3 three pointers. The Texas guards were equally as good, with Courtney Ramey, Andrew Jones and Matt Coleman all recording at least 13 points. Ramey led the way with a team high 18.

The Jayhawks struggled putting the ball in the basket all afternoon. Jalen Wilson was their main source of offense, pouring in a game high 20 points, but Kansas only had one other player reach double figures. As the team, the Jayhawks shot 30.8% from the field and 13% from deep. The Longhorns were red hot from the floor for the entire game, shooting 49.2% from the field and 46.2% from deep. Texas never trailed the entire game and won their first game in Allen Fieldhouse since 2011.

Biggest Takeaway

The biggest takeaway for Texas has to be the fashion in which they won. The game was pretty much over at the halfway mark of the second mark. The Longhorns put together their best defensive performance of the season and scored the basketball in a variety of ways all afternoon. Shaka Smart has shown a lot of faith in Jericho Sims despite some uneven performances to start the season and was rewarded today. If Texas gets consistent high level play from Sims for the rest of the season, the ceiling for Texas is raised significantly. It is important that Greg Brown did not contribute much today due to early foul trouble and the Longhorns still won by 25.

What's Next

Texas will have a quick turnaround as they prepare to host Iowa State at the Erwin Center on Tuesday evening. Following the matchup with the Cyclones, the Longhorns will end the week by traveling to Morgantown to face West Virginia on Saturday.

Picked the wrong day to help someone and be away from TV/radio/everything. I'm going to record the game tonight (9pm on the LHN) and watch this.

The Baylor game will tell just how good this team is. I've stated it before but I'll state it again, Baylor might be the best team in the nation. I'll be very happy with a split and ecstatic with a sweep!

Go with the Fro!  🤘

5 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

Picked the wrong day to help someone and be away from TV/radio/everything. I'm going to record the game tonight (9pm on the LHN) and watch this.

The Baylor game will tell just how good this team is. I've stated it before but I'll state it again, Baylor might be the best team in the nation. I'll be very happy with a split and ecstatic with a sweep!

Go with the Fro!  🤘

Enjoy it. We seldom beat Kansas and even less frequently in the Phog. And I can't remember beating them this badly ever.

Honestly, I haven't seen Baylor play. I was all set to watch the Baylor-Gonzaga game until it got cancelled. That would have been a dandy.

9 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Enjoy it. We seldom beat Kansas and even less frequently in the Phog. And I can't remember beating them this badly ever.

Honestly, I haven't seen Baylor play. I was all set to watch the Baylor-Gonzaga game until it got cancelled. That would have been a dandy.

I heard someone say how long it had been, but didn’t file it away. Suffice it to say, I think maybe one other team way back when the Fogg was first built. 

13 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

This was the worst lost in the Self era...huge win 

This kinda fell under the radar with everything else happening yesterday.  I'm so happy we FINALLY put it to KU.  Agree the Baylor game will be a good measure as well, we haven't had much success with that program as of late either (men or women). 

I haven't gotten to watch many games, so I promise not to mess up the Juju by starting to watch 😉  

13 hours ago, 83Dee said:

This team combines Shaka’s Great athletes and great defense with an ability to shoot (finally).

This team has a real shot! 

They have to maintain the ability to shoot.  We've seen these same guys be hot for a few games then go cold.

Finally was able to watch the game. What was interesting is at the beginning of the game the announcers stated that Texas' strength was their size and inside game. Kansas' strength was their ability to hit 3's. 

Texas hit 46% of their 3's overall however it was the 2nd half when they were on fire. At one point I noticed they were 6 of 6 from 3pt land to start the 2nd half. Kansas on the other hand hit 3 3pters for the whole game. Granted Texas's D was forcing some hurried shots however I saw several wide open 3's that Kansas missed. Texas on the other hand was zeroed in.

Texas out rebounded Kansas 46 to 37 with Sims pulling down 12 of them. It was nice to see him play well and not commit stupid penalties. Good game for the big man.

Texas' guard play was outstanding minus the turnovers, Coleman only having 1 which is what you want to see from your point guard. All but A Jones shot over 50% however Jones made up for it by playing good D and pulling down 7 boards.

K Jones is playing his way up the draft board. He continues to do so, this will more than likely be his last year in Austin.

Great win overall for the Horns, Go with the Fro! 🤘