Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorns Recruiting Road Trip: Week 11

Screen-Shot-2020-11-19-at-9.19.46-PM.png

Last weekend, the Texas high school playoffs started for small schools. As a result, the Hallettsville Brahmas traveled up to Bastrop to face Little River Academy. I was looking forward to seeing 2021 Longhorns commit, Jonathon Brooks, who has been an absolute star for the Brahmas. In addition to Hallettsville’s playoff game, I also attended Westlake’s regular season game against Bowie.

Week 11:

Game #1: #3 Westlake vs Bowie.

Once again, I was able to watch Texas targets, Cade Klubnik and Jaden Greathouse, in action for the Chaparrals. Currently, Klubnik is one of two class of 2022 quarterbacks in the state of Texas with an offer from the Longhorns, the other being Conner Weigman. Cade threw for three passing touchdowns against the Bulldogs, including one to Greathouse. Along with his passing, Klubnik also had some big pickups on the ground with his legs. In addition, Westlake’s defense continues to be rock solid as they prepare to do damage in this year’s playoffs. In the end, Westlake won handily, 45-7.

Game #2: Hallettsville vs Little River Academy

Before covering Hallettsville’s playoff game, I had only been able to see Jonathon Brooks’ talent on Hudl. However, seeing Brooks in person is even more fun to watch. Jonathon’s best skill is his ability to make people miss, which happens quite often thanks to his filthy juke moves. It didn’t take very long to see why the Longhorns offered Brooks, as he scored touchdown after touchdown in the bi-district playoff matchup. Eventually, Brooks tallied a total of seven touchdowns in Hallettsville’s 61-26 win, including: five rushing TDs, one receiving TD and one punt return TD. Tonight, the Brahmas are set to face Diboll in the area round of the playoffs.

Extra Point:

Brooks plays well above his three-star grade and is bound to make some noise for Hallettsville in their playoff run. Furthermore, what impresses me about Brooks’ game is that he has a nose for the end zone as a running back and a punt returner. It should be noted that when I said Brooks has filthy juke moves, I mean it. Jonathon is able to stop on a dime, like a player in Madden, and circumnavigate defenders with ease. Quite simply, Brooks is a home run threat whenever he has the ball in his hands. As of this moment, Brooks is Texas’s only running back commit in their 2021 recruiting class.

Miles Logged:

76 (total).

Longhorns Recruiting Notes:

Last week, the Longhorns offered 2021 three-star offensive lineman, Remington Strickland.

Last Saturday, the Longhorns landed a commitment from 2021 four-star outside linebacker, Terrence Cooks. Last season, Cooks won a state title as a member of the Shadow Creek Sharks football team.

On Wednesday, the Longhorns also landed a commitment from 2021 four-star recruit in Byron Murphy II. The 6’1″ defensive tackle became Texas’s 19th commit in the 2021 recruiting cycle.

Lastly, the Longhorns extended an offer to 2022 quarterback, Conner Weigman. Currently, Weigman leads Texas’s eighth-ranked team in the 6A classification, the Bridgeland Bears.