Find results in...

Let’s talk BBQ...again

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also, here's my setup. Not the best pic. I'm saving for a stick burner tho. Thinking of going reverse flow...we'll see

This weekend I smoked tri-tip, some spare ribs and pork belly burnt ends.  What was on your pit? I’m curious about what some of y’all have as a specialty. Post ‘em if ya got ‘em!   Some

Posted Images

4 hours ago, joeywa said:

Nice grate Mark.  May want to sand down that pit and repaint it.  Pro tip: go with a high heat auto engine paint rather than the 'outdoor bbq' paint by Rustoleum.  I've found time and again that the auto engine paint hold better and longer on a pit than the Rustoleum product.  I have used the VHT brand with really good results. 

The grate has never been painted. I just scrape the grime off with a metal brush. It cleans up pretty easy.

The outside is a different story. For the life of me I can never find a cover made for this smoker. And back when I could find them, it was 3-months and then rotten.

I have repainted the outside once. I did use the Rustoleum high heat paint. I'll go with your suggestion on the next one. Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

The grate has never been painted. I just scrape the grime off with a metal brush. It cleans up pretty easy.

The outside is a different story. For the life of me I can never find a cover made for this smoker. And back when I could find them, it was 3-months and then rotten.

I have repainted the outside once. I did use the Rustoleum high heat paint. I'll go with your suggestion on the next one. Thanks!

The grate is fine.  Usually it gets seasoned while using it, so I wouldn't treat that at all other than what you're doing, using a wire brush or scraper before each use. 

I went the cover route too.  Same experience as you when I had the NB pit.  Hardly ever lasted through the winter.  My current pit is underneath cover in the ManPit, but not 100% out of the elements.  Usually sand it and paint it once every 5 yrs as needed.  Now really the only parts that need treatment are the firebox and the area on the outside of the pit closest to the firebox. 

6 hours ago, Aaron Carrara said:

Joeywa has heard me ask this one to him a few times but would you go with a Kamado Joe or a Green Egg?

Anyone have a KJ?

They ate basically the same; both are kamado style cookers; i.e. ceramic cookers known to for heat retention and even cooking.  With that said, I have a BGE. and I love it.  Full disclosure, it was a gift so cost hasn't been a factor.  With that said, the KJ does exactly the same thing and for similar price point you will get more accessories with it.  I have 2 very good friends who chose KJ over the BGE for this reason and they have no regrets!  As a matter of fact, the gasket on the KJ seems more durable and I'm considering going to that gasket the next time I have to replace the gasket on my egg.

On 11/11/2020 at 7:22 PM, J.B. TexasEx said:

Do you load the B&B wood chunks into the hopper instead of charcoal with this Masterbuilt smoker, or what?

Say J.B.! I'm in this Facebook bbq group and a guy posted about the Masterbuilt today. Even if you don't have Facebook you should still be able to check out the post and comments 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/northtexasbbq/permalink/3114944798612224/

On 11/12/2020 at 9:34 AM, Aaron Carrara said:

Joeywa has heard me ask this one to him a few times but would you go with a Kamado Joe or a Green Egg?

Anyone have a KJ?

I have a KJ and although a bit pricey, I plan to keep it forever (hopefully).  One of the big advantages it has over the Green Egg is the number of accessories that already come with it and other accessories you can purchase later for it like a rotisserie.  They're also known for their lifetime warranty on the ceramics and have great customer service (although they initially had some issues when Covid hit).  One of the biggest advantages of the Kamado (Egg) is the versatility of cooks you can do.  You can smoke meats, but can also grill like a kettle and even get the temps up pretty high and make pizzas.

Here's a video of my jiggly brisket that everyone raved about:

4 minutes ago, BruiseLee said:

I have a KJ and although a bit pricey, I plan to keep it forever (hopefully).  One of the big advantages it has over the Green Egg is the number of accessories that already come with it and other accessories you can purchase later for it like a rotisserie.  They're also known for their lifetime warranty on the ceramics and have great customer service (although they initially had some issues when Covid hit).  One of the biggest advantages of the Kamado (Egg) is the versatility of cooks you can do.  You can smoke meats, but can also grill like a kettle and even get the temps up pretty high and make pizzas.

Well, you've gotta show us the smoke ring now too.

47 minutes ago, BruiseLee said:

Looks amazing!  Do you use a water pan for your brisket?  Also, do you fat side up or down?  The best results I've had regarding brisket is no water pan and fat side down.  I've done some pretty amazing cooks but can honestly say I haven't had one jiggle quite like that.  Also, did you wrap or let it ride?  I tend to wrap in butcher paper when it hits the stall.

I own a BGE (large) btw...

And I agree with @J.B. TexasEx, we gotta see the ring bro! LOL!