Find results in...

Let’s talk BBQ...again

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also, here's my setup. Not the best pic. I'm saving for a stick burner tho. Thinking of going reverse flow...we'll see

This weekend I smoked tri-tip, some spare ribs and pork belly burnt ends.  What was on your pit? I’m curious about what some of y’all have as a specialty. Post ‘em if ya got ‘em!   Some

Posted Images

Me?

1. Baby backs – I smoke them with Pecan wood. I normally use Stubb's original sauce, but don't put it on the ribs. I offer it at the table. I use a rub made by a local meat shop here in Lewisville. 

2. Pork Tenderloin

3. Steaks

4. BBQ chicken

5. Brisket. But only about once or twice a year.

Jeff, how did you like the John John's sauce you used for the first time?

25 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

.Jeff, how did you like the John John's sauce you used for the first time?

It’s very good. Not overly thick nor heavy with tomato sauce. It will come in two flavors, mild and spicy. I used the spicy and it wasn’t overly hot at all. 
I am buddies with the owner/creator and he will be launching it soon. He is currently in product testing phase getting all the nutritional I go squared away for the labels. He was here on Sunday while I was cooking. Great guy. Former NFL QB although injury cut his career short. He was my son’s QB coach in middle school and HS. Very good family friend. 

35 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Which smoker do y'all recommend?

1. Green Egg
  2. Traeger

And what model for a small, 3-person family? We don't entertain too much, but when we do we'll host maybe 10 people.

I'm old school. To me Trager's are a cheat and Green Egg is way overpriced. Try a Weber kettle or Smokey Mountain. There are enough accessories where you can cook anything.

I'm fixing to buy an Oklahoma Joe's Bandera smoker. $400 is good price for a stick burner.

15 minutes ago, Baron said:

I'm old school. To me Trager's are a cheat and Green Egg is way overpriced. Try a Weber kettle or Smokey Mountain. There are enough accessories where you can cook anything.

I'm fixing to buy an Oklahoma Joe's Bandera smoker. $400 is good price for a stick burner.

I'd be a smoking newbie and BBQ pitmaster wannabe, so I don't mind "cheating" a little bit. 🤠

I just want something that's easy to learn and use. I'll look at your recommendations, too, though and try to make a reasonably informed decision. Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

I'd be a smoking newbie and BBQ pitmaster wannabe, so I don't mind "cheating" a little bit. 🤠

I just want something that's easy to learn and use. I'll look at your recommendations, too, though and try to make a reasonably informed decision. Thanks for your help.

Same I tried smoking a few times.  Didnt turn out very good honestly.  🤣

4 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

1. Green Egg
  2. Traeger

And what model for a small, 3-person family? We don't entertain too much, but when we do we'll host maybe 10 people.

Did a thread on this a while back.  Good information for getting started HERE

I'm also old school/traditional and love my stick burner, but there are benefits to other types of smokers as well.  It really all depends on what your particular budget, need and commitment dictates. 

I use an old school New Braunfels Smoker with the side pit. When I bought it, I took out the grates and replaced with customer made steel grate with a BIG FAT BEVO in the middle of the grate. I'll have to post a picture some time.

This type of smoker is what my dad used, so its what I know. Since I have almost unlimited supply of Pecan, Oak, Mesquite and Hickory, it just makes sense for me.

Having spent a few years in the San Antonio area, I grew to really like the Mesquite smoke taste. So thats probably what I do most.

I have a "moisture compartment" in my smoker. Its basically a tray made of iron that has a lid with holes in it. I put water with wood chips in it to keep moisture in the smoker.

Just now, Sirhornsalot said:

I use an old school New Braunfels Smoker with the side pit. When I bought it, I took out the grates and replaced with customer made steel grate with a BIG FAT BEVO in the middle of the grate. I'll have to post a picture some time.

This type of smoker is what my dad used, so its what I know. Since I have almost unlimited supply of Pecan, Oak, Mesquite and Hickory, it just makes sense for me.

Having spent a few years in the San Antonio area, I grew to really like the Mesquite smoke taste. So thats probably what I do most.

I have a "moisture compartment" in my smoker. Its basically a tray made of iron that has a lid with holes in it. I put water with wood chips in it to keep moisture in the smoker.

The old New Branufel's smokers were really good.  When CharBroil bought the company, the products became less about quality construction and more about hitting a price point.  My first pit was a NB Oklahoma Joe's.  Loved that thing.  Sold it to a guy up here in WA for the same price I paid for it ten years before.  It was that good.  Replaced it with a Old Country BBQ pit I ordered from Academy.  Still using the Old Country.  That said, I wouldn't buy any of the NB products made by CharBroil.  There are just far better options out there these days at fair prices.  You may spend $100-200 more for a comparable pit, but the trade out is you won't be replacing it in 5 years. 

Love the idea of your grate Mark.  Post a pic when you can.  Interested to see how that looks.  I had longhorns welded to a couple of places on my pit and love it. 

1 hour ago, joeywa said:

The old New Branufel's smokers were really good.  When CharBroil bought the company, the products became less about quality construction and more about hitting a price point.  My first pit was a NB Oklahoma Joe's.  Loved that thing.  Sold it to a guy up here in WA for the same price I paid for it ten years before.  It was that good.  Replaced it with a Old Country BBQ pit I ordered from Academy.  Still using the Old Country.  That said, I wouldn't buy any of the NB products made by CharBroil.  There are just far better options out there these days at fair prices.  You may spend $100-200 more for a comparable pit, but the trade out is you won't be replacing it in 5 years. 

Love the idea of your grate Mark.  Post a pic when you can.  Interested to see how that looks.  I had longhorns welded to a couple of places on my pit and love it. 

I've had my smoker for about 10-12 years. I didn't know CharBroil bought them out as I haven't looked for a smoker since then. Mine is an all iron construction. No corners cut. I've been pretty happy with it.

7 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

1. Green Egg
  2. Traeger

I'm not big on pellet smokers.  I have both a Weber Kettle and a BGE (large).  My family is 5 and use both pretty often.  If money isn't an issue go BGE.  Weber is dope tho and for less than $200 can't really be beat imo.  And I smoke meat on both of em btw

48 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Do y'all think a self-feeding, wood pellet smoker is the best option for a newbie? I've got a friend with a Traeger who swears by it. The Z Grill also looks like a good option.

I've got a gas grill for high heat, quick cooking jobs, but want a smoker for ribs and "real" lower and slower BBQ.

The "rub" (pun intended 🤣) on a pellet smoker is that you sacrifice some of the traditional smoke flavor for convenience.  No doubt a pellet smoker is easy.  It really depends on what your budget is, what you are hoping to achieve and what your level of time commitment is. 

18 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

IMG_8198.thumb.jpeg.e7c750d27b68d2254e869a3fecc07895.jpeg

IMG_8200D.jpeg

Nice grate Mark.  May want to sand down that pit and repaint it.  Pro tip: go with a high heat auto engine paint rather than the 'outdoor bbq' paint by Rustoleum.  I've found time and again that the auto engine paint hold better and longer on a pit than the Rustoleum product.  I have used the VHT brand with really good results. 

1 hour ago, DBut82 said:

I'm not big on pellet smokers.  I have both a Weber Kettle and a BGE (large).  My family is 5 and use both pretty often.  If money isn't an issue go BGE.  Weber is dope tho and for less than $200 can't really be beat imo.  And I smoke meat on both of em btw

Do you burn wood in a Weber Kettle? Or just charcoal?

30 minutes ago, DBut82 said:

If you're looking for the convenience of a pellet grill but still want the traditional charcoal/wood flavor look into the Masterbuilt Gravity Series. They offer 2 different sizes (at $500 & $800, I think). I know they carry them at Premier Grilling and also at Ace I believe.

Do you load the B&B wood chunks into the hopper instead of charcoal with this Masterbuilt smoker, or what?