Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Southlake Carroll QB Quinn Ewers Decommits from Texas

QEGHom.jpeg

Less than a month the Texas Longhorns lost the commitment of near five-star athlete, Billy Bowman Jr. Before October can even come to a close, the Longhorns lost another commitment. This time, it’s Quinn Ewers.

Ewers, who is the top quarterback prospect not only in the 2022 class but also one of the highest-ranked recruits ever to play the game, announced his commitment to Texas on August, 14. The five-star quarterback prospect is a 6’3 200-pound pro-style passer with the ability to get it done on the ground if needed. His commitment marked one of the biggest victories in Texas recruiting history and served as a potential turning point in the history of Texas football.

He announced via his Twitter that he “didn’t explore his options as thoroughly as he would’ve liked,” and thus will be re-opening his recruitment.

The 2022 class, for now, shrinks to just two commits. Four-star defensive back Jaylon Guilbeau and four-star wide receiver Phaizon Wilson.

Ewers has been the prize possession of the 2022 recruiting cycle for a while now as he received his first scholarship offer from North Texas back in 2016. He started his first full season at the varsity level last year for Southlake Carroll. Along with leading them to the quarterfinals of the 6A D1 playoffs, he also threw for 3,998 yards and 45 touchdowns whilst completing 72% of his passes. He added 583 yards and nine touchdowns on the ground as well.

Through three games of the 2020 season, Ewers and Carroll have started out with a 2-1 record whilst putting up 57 points per game in the process. Ewers has 937 yards and 11 touchdowns on a 70% completion percentage while running for 78 yards and two more scores.

The loss of Ewers is devastating to Texas football. The bonafide best quarterback in the nation will now be seeking out a new home, somewhere other than Austin, Texas.

Ohio State is currently the favorite to land Ewers’ services. 

38 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

The kid has plenty of time to change his mind with a new coaching staff.

Relax

This may be true except I doubt it. Quinn could have waited another six weeks to see what happens to Herman. I'm sure he's heard the rumors of Urban Meyer taking over. It looks like he wants to play for Ryan Day.

Stress up.

“Six new 247Sports Crystal Ball forecasts for the Buckeyes to land Ewers arrived in a 25-minute window following Ewers’ decommitment announcement,” the recruiting site’s Gabe Brooks wrote. Clearly, the people heavily connected to the recruiting world are in agreement about where he’s going to end up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/there-e2-80-99s-1-school-trending-for-no-1-qb-recruit-quinn-ewers/ar-BB1avLdC?ocid=uxbndlbing

11 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Ewers is a big loss unless a new coach can reflip him.

Not the first I hated to see go. That would be D Walker followed by B Simms and so on to Bowman and now Ewers . Will be others unless Tom go after this week end.

We're losing 5-star Sanders (hearing its done) and have just lost 4-star Wilson.

I'm halfway interested to see just how bad this will get.

Sincere questions for those with more knowledge or optimism than I. Will this most recent collapse in recruiting actually make a difference in the direction of the program as far as a new HC and if so, will that change be significant and early enough to recapture some of the recruits?

37 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

We're losing 5-star Sanders (hearing its done) and have just lost 4-star Wilson.

I'm halfway interested to see just how bad this will get.

You have to wonder how long CDC will sit on his hands while the shit show goes on. With Shaka Smart still coaching, I have my doubts anything will be done in a timely manner.

2 hours ago, Baron said:

You have to wonder how long CDC will sit on his hands while the shit show goes on. With Shaka Smart still coaching, I have my doubts anything will be done in a timely manner.

Shaka is not the same situation. Shaka coaches basketball, which is an almost dispensable thing at Texas. You don't spend the millions on buyouts in basketball. 

Football is the cash cow at Texas. If you look at where our revenues should be compared to where they actually are, combined with the covid effect and a fanbase that is severely pissed off . . . you have a totally different thing working. The potential is not being fulfilled at a time when we should be having great success. This was the year.

I think CDC sees the same thing we're seeing. I believe the ducks are being lined up for a resolution sooner rather than later.