Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

15 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

I watched that game and could not believe the non-call. I took your previous advice though and didn't throw my remote at the tv. lol

You're welcome to PM me with your team's plays with questionable officiating if you want honest feedback. I'd have to review the differences between NFHS and NCAA rules briefly, but they don't vary too much. Fun fact - TX and MA are the only two states who play by NCAA rules.

Does OSSAA have many exceptions to the national rule book?

7 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

You're welcome to PM me with your team's plays with questionable officiating if you want honest feedback. I'd have to review the differences between NFHS and NCAA rules briefly, but they don't vary too much. Fun fact - TX and MA are the only two states who play by NCAA rules.

Does OSSAA have many exceptions to the national rule book?

That would be awesome. I may take you up on that if I'm still coaching next season. 

I do not think there are many exceptions but I'm not exactly sure how they differ.

1 minute ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Isn't that the referee's decision? I'd press charges if I were him.

True however didn't this happen before where 2 players hit a ref then later they said it was a coach who told them to do it and nothing was done (in SA maybe?)? If they don't act now, this will continue to happen. Seeing that just pisses me off!

19 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

True however didn't this happen before where 2 players hit a ref then later they said it was a coach who told them to do it and nothing was done (in SA maybe?)? If they don't act now, this will continue to happen. Seeing that just pisses me off!

No, those kids were suspended and the Jay coach was either reassigned or fired. Here's that video. Assault occurs during the game @ :25.

1 hour ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

No, those kids were suspended and the Jay coach was either reassigned or fired. Here's that video. Assault occurs during the game @ :25.

Thanks, glad I was wrong on that. For some reason I thought they got off.

Edit note: The one kid who is still in HS should never be allowed to play again in any UIL sanctioned sport.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Yes, by rule

According to the rule about using the crown of the helmet, yes. Not a fan of the call but also not a fan of his tackling technique. We always preach to our kids to see what they hit. If the tackler had led with either his facemask or shoulder pads, he quite possibly inflicts even more pain and definitely remains in the game. 

2 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

According to the rule about using the crown of the helmet, yes. Not a fan of the call but also not a fan of his tackling technique. We always preach to our kids to see what they hit. If the tackler had led with either his facemask or shoulder pads, he quite possibly inflicts even more pain and definitely remains in the game. 

The good news for you is most HS officials won't call that at game speed. They don't have the benefit of super slo-mo instant replays from multiple camera angles. I called Targeting once in my 10-year TASO officiating tenure.

You are correct J.B. We've had it work for us and against us.

It is a difficult call to make accurately at times without replay. I didn't see that play at game speed and did not see the flag thrown but as soon as they showed the replay, I told those with me that he was done and targeting would be called. I understand the intent and believe in protecting the kids but also believe that the way the rule is enforced has had an overall negative affect on the game.jmho.

4 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

You are correct J.B. We've had it work for us and against us.

It is a difficult call to make accurately at times without replay. I didn't see that play at game speed and did not see the flag thrown but as soon as they showed the replay, I told those with me that he was done and targeting would be called. I understand the intent and believe in protecting the kids but also believe that the way the rule is enforced has had an overall negative affect on the game.jmho.

What people miss is the Targeting rule's intent is to protect the defensive players, too. Spearing with your helmet is a good way to get a neck or spinal injury. I know from personal experience.

It's just not safe.

40 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

That is lost on many. Even at the HS level where nothing should cloud the desire to protect the safety and well being of the kids. Not that is should at higher levels.

Players should all be wearing rugby helmets with no facemasks if we really want to make the game safer. The Targeting rule's intent is to change player behavior. Over time, it has and will continue to do so if enforced consistently and properly.