Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Officiating

Baron

What in the world has happened to competent officiating this year? Specifically in the high school ranks. I've watched several games this year and there seems to be an abundance of fat asses huffing and puffing their way up and down the field. Then there's the dork that sees OPI a yard away and signals touchdown. Then there is the inability to spot the ball between the yard markers. Sorry guys, I just need to vent. Officiating is just brutal this year.

12 hours ago, Baron said:

What in the world has happened to competent officiating this year? Specifically in the high school ranks. I've watched several games this year and there seems to be an abundance of fat asses huffing and puffing their way up and down the field. Then there's the dork that sees OPI a yard away and signals touchdown. Then there is the inability to spot the ball between the yard markers. Sorry guys, I just need to vent. Officiating is just brutal this year.

Having "retired" from TXHSFB officiating recently, I can tell you TASO officials don't have a standard for physical fitness. My chapter had many geezers and lard-butts who didn't inspire confidence. It's a shame, but the younger generation doesn't appear to be interested in officiating. The pay isn't motivating.

On 10/10/2020 at 9:46 AM, J.B. TexasEx said:

Having "retired" from TXHSFB officiating recently, I can tell you TASO officials don't have a standard for physical fitness. My chapter had many geezers and lard-butts who didn't inspire confidence. It's a shame, but the younger generation doesn't appear to be interested in officiating. The pay isn't motivating.

The pay isn't all that great however most officials I know do it because they love the game. Be that said, it's hard to retain most of the younger refs because they don't want to endure the abuse from coaches and/or parents. That's why the average age for officials is raising while the numbers are dropping. 

16 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

No, it should've been ruled a backward pass.

That is what frustrates me more than missed calls on the field, because they happen real time, bad replay calls. Clearly that was a backwards pass and they had plenty time to review it.

Speaking of reviews, did you catch the non-review of the bobbled pass on 3rd and long for ou? Funny, they blew the review whistle quick on Texas' previous play but not that one. Even the announcers were stating he didn't have control as he went out of bounds.

10 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

The pay isn't all that great however most officials I know do it because they love the game. Be that said, it's hard to retain most of the younger refs because they don't want to endure the abuse from coaches and/or parents. That's why the average age for officials is raising while the numbers are dropping. 

The pay for sub-varsity assignments is adequate, but in my experience school districts didn't honor the TASO contract on Friday nights. Officials are supposed to get a cut of the gate, but that happened inconsistently. Nobody is auditing the gate receipts. Basically, schools paid whatever they wanted and usually got away with it.

Yeah, the younger generations don't wanna take any 💩 from coaches. They have trouble freezing them out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Can't tell from that angle but if the ball went backwards (i.e. backwards pass), does it matter?

The ball actually went forward but sure seemed to be loose before the hand went forward. 

As a HS DC in Ok, I can certainly attest to the decline in officiating quality. J.B. is spot on that the younger generation seems to have no interest in either learning the game enough to officiate or spend their Friday evenings getting abused by coaches.  The pay just isn't worth it. At the HS level anyway.

2 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

The ball actually went forward but sure seemed to be loose before the hand went forward. 

As a HS DC in Ok, I can certainly attest to the decline in officiating quality. J.B. is spot on that the younger generation seems to have no interest in either learning the game enough to officiate or spend their Friday evenings getting abused by coaches.  The pay just isn't worth it. At the HS level anyway.

I always thought you guys did it for the love of the game. At the HS level.

13 minutes ago, Baron said:

I always thought you guys did it for the love of the game. At the HS level.

I wouldn't do it for free, but yeah it's mostly about enjoying the game and camaraderie with your fellow officials. I quit because I'd had enough after 10 years and decided I'd rather coach my son's youth teams. Couldn't do both effectively.

Easy decision for me.

On 10/9/2020 at 9:31 PM, Baron said:

I was at a game earlier this season.  A receiver on a slant route broke free around the 40 and sprinted to the endzone.  The side judge ran with him easily.  I talked to him during a break.  I told him that he could have caught that kid and made the tackle if he wanted.  He told me he used to play many many years ago.  This guy was 60 yrs old and still kept up with this kid.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:17 PM, NEOkHorn said:

I'm not an official. From the ones I see on Friday night, they mostly seem to be there to collect a check bc they aren't very good at calling the games. 

Do you cut 'em some slack upon further review of the game film? Or does that just reinforce your poor opinion of the OSSAA officials? Do your OK crews work 5-man or 7-man?

When I worked the sidelines and knew I was right, I'd tell the HC "You'll see it on film, Coach". I'd be polite and responsive to the assistants, too, unless they pissed me off. Then I'd give 'em the, "I'm only talking to the HC tonight". And if the HC was an asshole, I'd give him, "Do you have a question, Coach? Otherwise, I'm not gonna respond to you."

I usually just politely ask them to watch for holding on my def ends and stuff like that since I realize they have a lot to try and see with only 5 man crews. Some of them really do seem to care about the quality of the game and doing their best. Some as I mentioned don't seem to care about much more than getting paid at the end of the evening. When the calls are blatant, it is frustrating watching the film but mostly I focus on how we can improve and avoid the officiating from having as big an impact.

Unfortunately the OSSAA found very few takers a couple years ago when they offered a type of scholarship program to entice younger people to learn the officiating craft.  

On 11/26/2020 at 3:56 PM, NEOkHorn said:

I usually just politely ask them to watch for holding on my def ends and stuff like that since I realize they have a lot to try and see with only 5 man crews. Some of them really do seem to care about the quality of the game and doing their best. Some as I mentioned don't seem to care about much more than getting paid at the end of the evening. When the calls are blatant, it is frustrating watching the film but mostly I focus on how we can improve and avoid the officiating from having as big an impact.

Unfortunately the OSSAA found very few takers a couple years ago when they offered a type of scholarship program to entice younger people to learn the officiating craft.  

With OH (offensive holding), an official has to ask himself, "did the hold affect the play?" in a split-second. Some holds are obvious, but we were trained to describe the action, "grab & restrict", "hook & turn", "takedown", etc. Some nights, we've got assistant coaches screaming for a hold on damn near every play. Needless to say, that can get annoying for the flank officials.

The best thing you can do as a coaching staff to improve officiating is to share your HUDL game film with your local OSSAA chapter. I assume yours is in Tulsa. The officials who are serious about getting better will review their games every week. Those that aren't, won't, so maybe you can "scratch" the really poor, lazy, or ineffectual crews.

The key is hustle. Crews are gonna miss a few calls with only 5 guys. But, y'all should encourage those who show up on time, prepared, and are hustling on film. You know who they are and I'll bet your local 6A schools request them every week.

3 hours ago, NEOkHorn said:

Thanks for the insight J.B. I do realize it is a difficult task at best but sometimes forget that in the heat of Friday night's

Understood

It's the heat of the moment, I get it, but take a deep breath before chewing out an official. Easier said than done, I know. The best coaches, in my experience, focus more on building up their players versus tearing down the officials.