Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hermann needs to go

This article is full of it. He makes two points. Mack Brown should not have been let go because it's hard to find a replacement. His other point is that Herman should get another year because of Covid 19.

Mack Brown had four years to fix the problems that he created at UT. We lost 21 games during his last four years which is way below the standards that he set at UT. I hope does well at North Carolina. He was 7-6 last year and is undefeated so far this year. If he has a good season  then he would be the first ex-UT coach to succeed. 

The mistake was not in the hiring of Charlie Strong It was picking Steve Patterson over Oliver Luck as AD. Patterson could still have picked a good coach since he had  a final four of Charlie Strong, Jim Mora, Art Briles, and James Franklin. Patterson true to form picked the wrong guy. James Franklin has had three eleven win seasons at Penn State while Charlie Herman has one ten win season during the same time.
Although to be fair, Patterson was such a bad AD that even Franklin may not have succeeded here. There is always a good coach out there it just a matter of picking the right guy.  Instead of hiring Herman the now obvious choice would have been Matt Ruhle, but he didn't have the record at the time to be even considered by UT.

He makes no sense when he compares UT to Jerry Jones because of the regents. Patterson picked Strong and everyone wanted Herman. The next coach will be picked either by CDC or the donors. He also ignores that when you keep a coach whose timed has expired then that will hurt recruiting and the loss of interest and money from the fans.

Herman is not taking a pay cut like others at UT. He's having money deferred. So, Covid 19 is no excuse for another season if he loses at least five games this year as this guy predicts. I rather we change coaches every three to four years if they prove that they can't do the job then keeping a coach past his time.

Why the University of Texas Shouldn’t Fire Tom Herman

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/why-the-university-of-texas-shouldnt-fire-tom-herman/

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol!  The truth is you are correct.  Hiring and firing of coaches is always a delicate and sensitive operation and for good reasons.  There are the money aspects, reputations, pasts and futures of peo

I don't visit this board that otten, I spend most of my time on IT.  Why I'm not sure.  I have been lambasted and skinned alive by many posters over there.  Even the mods.  But IT does provide many in

Herman got political and failed to develop players. Two reasons to stick a fork in him.

Posted Images

College football's most overpaid and underpaid coaches

TOM HERMAN, TEXAS (OVERPAID)

2020 salary: $5,827,917 ($516,250 pandemic pay reduction)

Buyout as of Dec. 1: $15,416,667

The eyes of Texas are already rolling in Austin. Tom Herman is on the hot seat in just his fourth season leading the Longhorns because of a terrible stumble out of the gate. This was supposed to be the year Texas contended for the Big 12 title, a spot in the College Football Playoff and potentially land a Heisman Trophy for quarterback Sam Ehlinger in the process. Instead, Ehlinger has had to carry the team on his back, leading to thrilling games but also two heartbreaking losses to TCU and Oklahoma, two programs that have owned the Longhorns in recent years.

Herman may have to win the remainder of the games on the schedule to return as Texas' coach. The $15.4 million buyout seems high, sure, but Texas will pull out the money and make a run for Urban Meyer. You just know they will, even if the chances of Meyer coaching the Longhorns next year are smaller than a Group of 5 school winning the national championship this season.

Herman is technically the highest-paid coach in the Big 12*, and the only coach in the top four to not yet win the conference title. He's 27-17 going into the fifth game of his fourth season, and after making massive changes on the staff following an eight-win 2019 season, one has to believe the coach has been feeling the heat since January. Now with fans circling the program wanting at least a return to the Sugar Bowl-type year that resulted in Ehlinger exclaiming "Texas is back!" following a 10-win season and victory against Georgia in 2018, the time to prove it or lose it might just be this year, even if making a change in these uncertain times seems ludicrous.

*Note: Herman's pay reduction will be paid back to him a deferred payment later in his contract, according to USA Today, which would make his salary this year $6.3 million, which is just a step above Lincoln Riley's salary ($6.2 million) at Oklahoma.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/2020-college-football-10-most-overpaid-underpaid-coaches-153050627/#153050627_4

7 hours ago, DBOOK23 said:

What do y’all think about Chris Petersen? I’m all about these results.

2F4A7912-A7E4-4BA7-BB25-55760FC41F02.png

Chris Peterson is a great coach no doubt about it.  My concern would be does he have what it takes to take on UT?  He seems to be mild mannered and shows little emotion.  I just don’t know if someone without fire in their mouth and belly can succeed.  Texas is a very unique place and it takes a very unique coach to deal with it.  Who is to say he would not be great?  From what I have read he was tired of the grind of being a head coach.  If true he would hate being the top doh at this university.

All of this Urban Meyer talk has me cautiously optimistic just like I have the last 10 years.  

Absolutely he is the man but it’s more everyone’s hope and desire than a real possibility.  Don’t want to bring anyone down but trying to curb my expectations of him actually becoming the coach for UT.

It just seems like it’s so much the right move to make that we just won’t make it.  Let’s all remember how the past decade has gone and how we have all had to deal with the disappointment of being irrelevant.  

Until Herman is fired our hopes are nothing but an exercise in futility.  If he does get axed the and only then will my hopes soar.

3 minutes ago, UTfish said:

Don't overlook the parents of the recruits who wouldn't want their sons playing for a scumbag like UM.

I honestly don't think that there are many parents who would feel that way. Especially is their sons are really, really good. And I don't disagree that UM is a scumbag. But I also have no doubt he would make Texas elite again. 

1 hour ago, zion3d said:

All of this Urban Meyer talk has me cautiously optimistic just like I have the last 10 years.  

Absolutely he is the man but it’s more everyone’s hope and desire than a real possibility.  Don’t want to bring anyone down but trying to curb my expectations of him actually becoming the coach for UT.

It just seems like it’s so much the right move to make that we just won’t make it.  Let’s all remember how the past decade has gone and how we have all had to deal with the disappointment of being irrelevant.  

Until Herman is fired our hopes are nothing but an exercise in futility.  If he does get axed the and only then will my hopes soar.

Then you are not going to like my post 🙂

I think it happens much quicker than anyone thinks. Like before the Baylor game. 

20 minutes ago, UTfish said:

Don't overlook the parents of the recruits who wouldn't want their sons playing for a scumbag like UM.

Ohio State did a good job of letting him off. It was in their best interest. Urban got a three game suspension instead of getting fired.

He will have three rings and a record of sending players to the NFL to help him with recruits.
5 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

I agree that’s why if we change it has to be Urban. The other two we can’t get. Urban got some issues but I want to recruit at the top and just win. We can’t keep taking these up and comers because for some reason it’s hard to win at Texas. I’m not sure why but we’ve been down for 10 years. I guess we’ll see 

Urban's issue is he can't control his own program and has sometimes sacrificed character for performance in recruiting. But he certainly knows how to take a program and turn it around, quickly.

Peterson wouldn't take the Texas job. He's a homer to the Pac NW and is sitting in his dream job. I wouldn't want him simply because he doesn't really want to be here.

There are one or two I would consider rolling the dice for after Urban. The list is short though. 

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

1. It doesn't seem to be CDC's M.O. when it comes to coaching changes.

2. It seems there is some monetary consideration (from articles I've read) and Dec 1 seems to be the breakpoint.

December 1 may be the plan, but not if we keep losing, I heard the donors are as mad at a UT coach since Mackovic and the 66-3 loss to UCLA.

Herman has been blaming Covid and not getting enough reps. However if we lose to Baylor then that takes that excuse out. Baylor has been more directly effected for the last two weeks. Herman's record against Gundy also makes that a likely loss.

It may make sense to fire him before the season is over.

The only way TH gets fired sooner rather than later will depend on 2 things.  The anger level of the BMD’s and the anger level of CDC.  The donors are like the fans with regards to the team and the eyes.  But after what I have read CDC might be so pissed that Herman has been insubordinate regarding the eyes and creating the crap storm that he might well be willing to cut him loose. It’s pretty crappy of Herman to make CDC be the bad guy so he can be the hero to his players.  In TH Monday presser he stuck it in CDC’s face yet again by saying he would encourage his players to participate in the eyes but if they did not feel comfortable with being out on the field he would respect that.  What a weasel.  We will have to see if that will be enough for CDC to say pop goes the weasel.

28 minutes ago, zion3d said:

The only way TH gets fired sooner rather than later will depend on 2 things.  The anger level of the BMD’s and the anger level of CDC.  The donors are like the fans with regards to the team and the eyes.  But after what I have read CDC might be so pissed that Herman has been insubordinate regarding the eyes and creating the crap storm that he might well be willing to cut him loose. It’s pretty crappy of Herman to make CDC be the bad guy so he can be the hero to his players.  In TH Monday presser he stuck it in CDC’s face yet again by saying he would encourage his players to participate in the eyes but if they did not feel comfortable with being out on the field he would respect that.  What a weasel.  We will have to see if that will be enough for CDC to say pop goes the weasel.

So we have an ongoing insubordinate coach. Herman is not telling his players the same thing CDC is telling his players.