Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hermann needs to go

23 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

If you don’t want to take my word on this then take a little time and see what was happening in the months heading up to Mack’s resignation with the people involved in this power play (pardon the pun). I was told this by a booster who definitely has enough stroke to know what happens behind the scenes. 
A couple of the more renegade donors had decided they wanted Mack gone so they met with Dodds and told him they wanted a change. Of course Dodds and Mack were good friends and he told them he supported Mack completely and that was out of the question. As you might expect the boosters didn’t like being told no so they decided if Dodds wouldn’t play along then it was time for a new AD. Next they set a meeting with Bill Powers (UT President at the time) and told him they wanted Mack gone and Dodds won’t do it so they wanted Dodds moved out. As you might expect Power’s didn’t appreciate them telling him who to hire or fire so he refused as well. He basically told them he didn’t work for them and as the President he made those decisions based on what was best for the University not by pressure from Alumni. The boosters were not happy with Powers response but instead of taking no for an answer they decided it was time for a new President or at least someone to push him to “play along”. This is the tricky part because the President doesn’t have a direct supervisor he answers to the Board of Regents so in order for him to be convinced or dismissed they would need enough Regents to agree. That would take a massive amount of time and convincing so they decided it would be more efficient to have a couple of new Regents that represented their agenda. They decided a meeting with Governor Perry was needed. They made an appointment and explained to him the whole story and what the needed. During this meeting they gave him two options. He could appoint a few regents that they wanted and they would generously give to his campaign fund or he could choose not to make the appointments and they would contribute enough money to whoever his next opponent was to ensure they won. Unlike the other folks these guys approached Slick Rick was a die hard politician and really enjoyed his position. He also had higher aspirations and knew these were the kind of people he needed on his side so he agreed to help. Perry was never a big fan of Bill Powers but he really turned up the heat in the early part of 2013. He basically told him to get on board, resign or be fired. The soured relationship between Perry and Powers was well documented in the press. The reason for the sudden urgency however was not made public. With the increased pressure being applied Powers told Dodds  it was probably time to move on because he would not be able to protect him much longer. In October Dodds made the announcement he would be resigning as the AD. Mack knowing what was next followed suit and retired in December. Powers bought himself a couple of years but probably didn’t enjoy them. 

Do not underestimate what the UT  big money donors, or any billionaire for that matter, are capable of doing once they set their mind on something 

I’m not be surprised by anything they do.  They are the reason Texas had to settle for Charlie strong and Texas is average with Tom Herman.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol!  The truth is you are correct.  Hiring and firing of coaches is always a delicate and sensitive operation and for good reasons.  There are the money aspects, reputations, pasts and futures of peo

I don't visit this board that otten, I spend most of my time on IT.  Why I'm not sure.  I have been lambasted and skinned alive by many posters over there.  Even the mods.  But IT does provide many in

Herman got political and failed to develop players. Two reasons to stick a fork in him.

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

I’m not be surprised by anything they do.  They are the reason Texas had to settle for Charlie strong and Texas is average with Tom Herman.  

No, Charlie Strong is on Patterson. Patterson pretty much blocked everybody else out.

On 11/24/2020 at 9:40 PM, RickyFlair said:

If you don’t want to take my word on this then take a little time and see what was happening in the months heading up to Mack’s resignation with the people involved in this power play (pardon the pun). I was told this by a booster who definitely has enough stroke to know what happens behind the scenes. 
A couple of the more renegade donors had decided they wanted Mack gone so they met with Dodds and told him they wanted a change. Of course Dodds and Mack were good friends and he told them he supported Mack completely and that was out of the question. As you might expect the boosters didn’t like being told no so they decided if Dodds wouldn’t play along then it was time for a new AD. Next they set a meeting with Bill Powers (UT President at the time) and told him they wanted Mack gone and Dodds won’t do it so they wanted Dodds moved out. As you might expect Power’s didn’t appreciate them telling him who to hire or fire so he refused as well. He basically told them he didn’t work for them and as the President he made those decisions based on what was best for the University not by pressure from Alumni. The boosters were not happy with Powers response but instead of taking no for an answer they decided it was time for a new President or at least someone to push him to “play along”. This is the tricky part because the President doesn’t have a direct supervisor he answers to the Board of Regents so in order for him to be convinced or dismissed they would need enough Regents to agree. That would take a massive amount of time and convincing so they decided it would be more efficient to have a couple of new Regents that represented their agenda. They decided a meeting with Governor Perry was needed. They made an appointment and explained to him the whole story and what the needed. During this meeting they gave him two options. He could appoint a few regents that they wanted and they would generously give to his campaign fund or he could choose not to make the appointments and they would contribute enough money to whoever his next opponent was to ensure they won. Unlike the other folks these guys approached Slick Rick was a die hard politician and really enjoyed his position. He also had higher aspirations and knew these were the kind of people he needed on his side so he agreed to help. Perry was never a big fan of Bill Powers but he really turned up the heat in the early part of 2013. He basically told him to get on board, resign or be fired. The soured relationship between Perry and Powers was well documented in the press. The reason for the sudden urgency however was not made public. With the increased pressure being applied Powers told Dodds  it was probably time to move on because he would not be able to protect him much longer. In October Dodds made the announcement he would be resigning as the AD. Mack knowing what was next followed suit and retired in December. Powers bought himself a couple of years but probably didn’t enjoy them. 

Do not underestimate what the UT  big money donors, or any billionaire for that matter, are capable of doing once they set their mind on something 

Thats a pretty good accounting of what went down. Good stuff.

1 hour ago, Drb522 said:

They were also the reason Saban was set to take the job and they will be the reason Urban Meyer comes. The University and Athletic program cannot do the work behind the scenes or spend the money required to buy out Herman and pay a top coach. Our boosters are definitely more involved than at some schools but when someone pours several million dollars in to an organization they are allowed, whether you agree or not, a little more latitude. By the way Saban got a bump at Bama but it paled in comparison to what he would have received from Texas. The number that was floating around was $10 mill a year plus partial ownership in a Texas Boosters business that would have given him an additional  $2 - $3 million annually. So, yes he got an additional $2 mill out of the courtship but he left $6 million more on the table. 

52 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

They were also the reason Saban was set to take the job and they will be the reason Urban Meyer comes. The University and Athletic program cannot do the work behind the scenes or spend the money required to buy out Herman and pay a top coach. Our boosters are definitely more involved than at some schools but when someone pours several million dollars in to an organization they are allowed, whether you agree or not, a little more latitude. By the way Saban got a bump at Bama but it paled in comparison to what he would have received from Texas. The number that was floating around was $10 mill a year plus partial ownership in a Texas Boosters business that would have given him an additional  $2 - $3 million annually. So, yes he got an additional $2 mill out of the courtship but he left $6 million more on the table. 

Hearsay?  Or truth?

they better be careful or they’ll cost Texas another proven coach.  

13 hours ago, Drb522 said:

Wait, the donors (hicks) pissed Mack off caused Texas getting Saban.  Doesn’t that lead to hiring Strong?

No. It would lead to hiring SOMEBODY. But no, there was no predestined position for Charlie Strong that spanned two ADs. There was no law passed that forced Texas to hire an individual named Charlie Strong. We had choices. Patterson, and nobody but Patterson, made that hire. smh

18 hours ago, Drb522 said:

Hearsay?  Or truth?

they better be careful or they’ll cost Texas another proven coach.  

Is there a difference in Hearsay or Truth before it’s official? $12-13 mill had the deal done. 

You keep saying the boosters cost us Saban or will cost us UM. Are you under the impression that guys like them or Dabo actually turn in a resume and fill out an application? Do you think the interview committee starts with a group of 5-8 good candidates and during the process Nick Saban separates himself from the pack? There are conversations, assurances, and parameters agreed upon before everything is publicized. Someone has to have those meetings and often times they are not on the University payroll. It is very common to have a replacement before you have an opening. Herman probably doesn’t like it now but he didn’t mind when it was happening to Strong. 

UT's recruiting is even worse for Herman than it looks. We have 19 recruits right now. We have 10 four or five star players and eight of those are on defense. The offense on the other hand have seven out of the eight recruits are on offense.  The other recruit is a punter.

Ash is doing his job recruiting by getting four star recruits. The offense is Herman's responsibility and offensive recruits are saying that they don't trust him..

A fork in the road moment has arrived for Tom Herman

https://footballscoop.com/news/a-fork-in-the-road-moment-has-arrived-for-tom-herman/

8 minutes ago, primal defense said:
UT's recruiting is even worse for Herman than it looks. We have 19 recruits right now. We have 10 four or five star players and eight of those are on defense. The offense on the other hand have seven out of the eight recruits are on offense.  The other recruit is a punter.

Ash is doing his job recruiting by getting four star recruits. The offense is Herman's responsibility and offensive recruits are saying that they don't trust him..

https://footballscoop.com/news/a-fork-in-the-road-moment-has-arrived-for-tom-herman/

I don't disagree. In my book, each of the next three (possibly four) games is a fork in the road. I just don't know if CDC sees it that way.

1 hour ago, Baron said:

I don't disagree. In my book, each of the next three (possibly four) games is a fork in the road. I just don't know if CDC sees it that way.

Well, two of those will.

1) Iowa State

2) OU in the CCG

K-State, it would require everything to go right for them and everything to go wrong for us, for them to win. They are hurting right now. Maybe they'll get their injured and sick back but right now they're not very good.

Kansas . . . we'd get a better game out of Southlake Carroll.

I think we defeat ISU. I don't know, I just feel a win coming. But I don't think we beat OU. They've become considerably better than they were when we played them.

1 hour ago, primal defense said:
UT's recruiting is even worse for Herman than it looks. We have 19 recruits right now. We have 10 four or five star players and eight of those are on defense. The offense on the other hand have seven out of the eight 3 star recruits are on offense.  The other recruit is a punter.

2 hours ago, dillohorn said:

Herman got political and failed to develop players. Two reasons to stick a fork in him.

It is, however, amusing that Woke Tom Herman thought the real power at UT is as left-leaning as the administration. Yet another tactical error that mirrors his game-planning most weeks.

12 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I think we defeat ISU. I don't know, I just feel a win coming. But I don't think we beat OU. They've become considerably better than they were when we played them.

Today is pivotal with ISU playing well. They'll be fired up today at DKR.

0u has improved since we played them. UT will need to play a helluva lot better to beat them in Round 2. 

I love the amount of people on here who think if Herman was undefeated, the boosters would give two shits about how he handled Black Lives Matter or The Eyes. If Herman was undefeated and there was talks of a possible CFP appearance, he could have screamed BLM after ever to interview and he would be fine and they would accept it. If he had a better overall record here, the same would be true. This is about winning. If Herman had done more of it, he would be safe. Anything else is punditry from people who think they know something. 

5 hours ago, hornsups said:

I love the amount of people on here who think if Herman was undefeated, the boosters would give two shits about how he handled Black Lives Matter or The Eyes. If Herman was undefeated and there was talks of a possible CFP appearance, he could have screamed BLM after ever to interview and he would be fine and they would accept it. If he had a better overall record here, the same would be true. This is about winning. If Herman had done more of it, he would be safe. Anything else is punditry from people who think they know something. 

You would. lol

If Herman had his team focused on football instead of denying the EOT, perhaps his team would have finished this game.

What you're seeing is just evidence of what's been said.

Notice how you began most of your sentences with IF? Well, if "ifs and buts were cotton candy, at Christmas time we'd all be dandy."

What if Herman were undefeated . . .lol . . what are you smoking today?

22 minutes ago, hornsups said:

There are probably three coaches in the Big XII that Herman can say he is better than as a coach. Les Miles, Matt Wells and maybe Aranda. That’s not good for us as one of two blue bloods in the conference. Hopefully he’s given notice on Monday. Get this over with. 

Aranda is the better coach. He's just doesn't have the talent that TH has had.

I'll be damned, we agree on something. Fire Herman yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Aranda is the better coach. He's just doesn't have the talent that TH has had.

I'll be damned, we agree on something. Fire Herman yesterday.

I would include Matt Wells, I don't know how you didn't include him. It took a miracle for Tom to win that game this year and I would say Tech has even less talent then even Baylor but I digress and dont even care to argue it beyond this post. The talent level difference between the two are large chasms in my opinion.

I would say that Les Miles is about the only coach that Tom is better than and its honestly a debate at that, I think I could argue that maybe even Les is better but again, i really don't care. just fire Tom.