Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hermann needs to go

Jim M.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

We've lost Bowman, Ewers, Sanders, Wilson and now I'm hearing we'll lose Jalon Gillbeau, which will empty the 2022 class.

This shouldn’t have to come down to the OSU game, TH has completely lost the locker room, UT traditions, conference ball games, and now our entire f’n 2022 class. I’m beside myself as to why he still has a job? The only thing that worries me is that UM will turn us down! 

Our loved football program is in a world of hurt.  TH had his opportunity and has not performed.  Losing quality Texas high school recruits is the final straw.   TH needs to go.  The answer is when.  

Action needs to take place sooner rather than later.  Beg these Texas recruits to please hold off leaving the state as changes to Texas football are coming and your state needs you to stay home and represent it.  And yes, that means letting TH go mid-season. 

It’s going to take a huge splash coaching hire to convince these recruits to give Texas another try.  And that splash is called UM.  This can’t happen soon enough. 

As I said in the recruiting thread:

I cannot fathom the transgression such that Urban Meyer would be a step up in ethics and integrity.

Fewer than 60 days ago, CDC announced the loss of quite a few jobs inside Bellmont to save far less money than it would take to remove Herman and replace him with Meyer.

The faculty has to do without merit raises, the university is just beginning to have to make very painful budget cuts, and Jay Hartzell's fist major decision would be to hire Urban Meyer, who comes with not inconsequential baggage.

People have lost their minds.

8 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I cannot fathom the transgression such that Urban Meyer would be a step up in ethics and integrity.

Fewer than 60 days ago, CDC announced the loss of quite a few jobs inside Bellmont to save far less money than it would take to remove Herman and replace him with Meyer.

The faculty has to do without merit raises, the university is just beginning to have to make very painful budget cuts, and Jay Hartzell's fist major decision would be to hire Urban Meyer, who comes with not inconsequential baggage.

If you are advocating for some perspective, I'm afraid that and reason have long since vacated the area. 

If you are proposing alternatives, I for one would be interested in hearing your thoughts on possibilities since you always seem to have well thought out and well informed insight.

47 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

If I'm UT, I don't want you anywhere near my money. This is about saving your cash cow. I cannot fathom allowing it to devalue any more than it already has.

I think we're well past worrying about appearances. If you're worried about that, take a gander at the field on Saturdays.

35 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

If I'm UT, I don't want you anywhere near my money. This is about saving your cash cow. I cannot fathom allowing it to devalue any more than it already has.

I think we're well past worrying about appearances. If you're worried about that, take a gander at the field on Saturdays.

THIS.  The time for a reasoned approach was when hiring Herman.  At this point it is necessary to stop the bleeding.  

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

The "cash cow" delivers roughly $10 mil/yr into a $3.1B budget.

To break that relationship down, for an individual making $100k/yr, your "cash cow" would drop a whopping $0.03 into their pocket.

You seem to have your financial understanding backward. Bellmont is the one that could not pay its most recent capital debt payment. The university isn't in dire financial straits. Your "cash cow" is.

UT can have a football program without becoming Texas A&M. (Or, possibly not). There can be football at UT without having to turn the program over to a sociopath who would degrade the name, brand and reputation of the school from Day 1. 

When Bellmont gets its financial house in order, begins again to be able to dependably make its debt payments, repays the deferred salaries it owes (yes, including to Tom Herman), and gets back on financial footing, then CDC can begin to make the case that he is unable to hire anyone ethical to lead the athletics programs. Until then, I think it is unreasonable for CDC (or anyone else) to demand a known sociopath be made the highest paid public employee in Texas.

The alumni were told to shut about ethics when Herman insisted the football team could not win unless Casey Horny was hired. Then the alumni were told to shut about about not wanting a felon who peddled controlled substances to minors on school grounds on the UT campus because the football could not win unless Leitao was on the team. Now, we are being told the football can't win without again going even deeper into the ethical sewer.

We've been told enough that we can't win unless we toss our ethics aside.

Maybe its about time to realize those who insist on wallowing in the ethical sewers just so the football team can win are not the ones we should be listening to.

22 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

To break that relationship down, for an individual making $100k/yr, your "cash cow" would drop a whopping $0.03 into their pocket.

You seem to have your financial understanding backward. Bellmont is the one that could not pay its most recent capital debt payment. The university isn't in dire financial straits. Your "cash cow" is.

UT can have a football program without becoming Texas A&M. (Or, possibly not). There can be football at UT without having to turn the program over to a sociopath who would degrade the name, brand and reputation of the school from Day 1. 

When Bellmont gets its financial house in order, begins again to be able to dependably make its debt payments, repays the deferred salaries it owes (yes, including to Tom Herman), and gets back on financial footing, then CDC can begin to make the case that he is unable to hire anyone ethical to lead the athletics programs. Until then, I think it is unreasonable for CDC (or anyone else) to demand a known sociopath be made the highest paid public employee in Texas.

It's my understanding that there is a money crunch not only due to Covid-19, but donations being rescinded because of the state of affairs with the football team. And that lies squarely on the shoulders of Herman.

He went against the protocol put in place regarding the "Eyes". Some coaches comments and CDC's newsletter made it clear what was expected of athletes when it came to the "Eyes". That angered most of the donors.

His inability to rein in his ego. Much has been written about this. 

There is a complete loss of confidence in Herman among recruits. The decommit parade has made that obvious. That has become the final straw.

The only thing that can save the program now is a splash hire that will get recruits to take a second look at Texas. And that needs to be done with alacrity.

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

The alumni were told to shut about ethics when Herman insisted the football team could not win unless Casey Horny was hired. Then the alumni were told to shut about about not wanting a felon who peddled controlled substances to minors on school grounds on the UT campus because the football could not win unless Leitao was on the team. Now, we are being told the football can't win without again going even deeper into the ethical sewer.

Maybe its about time to realize those who insist on wallowing in the ethical sewers just so the football team can win are not the ones we should be listening to.

Tell me, RD. What does Texas make on its merchandise each year? And why would that merchandise even be desirable to purchase, if not for football?

Football pays for it all. Without football, you don't have other sports at UT.

As for the other stuff, take a shower. You'll be fine. Horny is not responsible for any of this, period. Neither is Leitao. OU makes a living on Leitaos and some how they still win conference championships. We don't even know what that feels like anymore. But don't you dare soil our pretty white gloves. lol

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

While I appreciate the fantasy you live in, and have spent some time there myself, I find it a bit naive at this point.  There is no team made of angels and, quite frankly, there never was.  The antics that our 60's and 70's teams were up to would make many blush despite not "peddling controlled substances to minors on school grounds".   Let's not kid ourselves.

Like you, I would love to see the cleanest program possible.  I believe we will differ in what we believe is possible.  

Yeah! Were number 1

Ohio State Ranks in Top 5 Richest College Football Programs — But Who Is No. 1?

1. Texas Longhorns

• Gross revenue: $156.1 million

The prize of richest team in college football goes to the Texas Longhorns. The team finished with a 10-4 record in the 2018 season and won the Sugar Bowl 28-21 over the Georgia Bulldogs. Profiting a total of $112.9 million, the program makes $15 million annually just with its ESPN Big-12 deal. The Longhorns are proof that you don?t have to be the biggest winners on the field to be the biggest earners.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohio-state-ranks-top-5-190016875.html

I have read the debate  between Randolph Duke and others with great interest. I see merit in both point of views. To me, if CDC is the fund raiser that everyone claims he is, there is another choice. Keep in mind that football is the front porch to The University. CDC leverages the point to BMDs that if you are really interested in UT athletics, The University and willing to buy out TH and pay UM what he wants (which is a lot of money), then let's show the UT family and the world they are interested in more than football, i.e.; pitch in a little more to bring back employees who were laid off. Then sell that football is not the main criteria at The University of Texas (like it is attempted at aggy land), but SUCCESS on and off the field for UT athletics and their individuals. This is a win/win and a PR win.

PS - My only issue with UM is the baggage that UM brings could cancel the perception of trying to do the right thing for UT. Does UT want the chance of some of his repeat behavior that could tarnish the school's reputation for the sake of winning. That has a smell of SEC. Then again, he may be the only coach who can right the ship.

10 hours ago, 63_Texas_1 said:

I have read the debate  between Randolph Duke and others with great interest. I see merit in both point of views. To me, if CDC is the fund raiser that everyone claims he is, there is another choice. Keep in mind that football is the front porch to The University. CDC leverages the point to BMDs that if you are really interested in UT athletics, The University and willing to buy out TH and pay UM what he wants (which is a lot of money), then let's show the UT family and the world they are interested in more than football, i.e.; pitch in a little more to bring back employees who were laid off. Then sell that football is not the main criteria at The University of Texas (like it is attempted at aggy land), but SUCCESS on and off the field for UT athletics and their individuals. This is a win/win and a PR win.

PS - My only issue with UM is the baggage that UM brings could cancel the perception of trying to do the right thing for UT. Does UT want the chance of some of his repeat behavior that could tarnish the school's reputation for the sake of winning. That has a smell of SEC. Then again, he may be the only coach who can right the ship.

The list of who can right the ship is certainly short.