Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All Things Politics Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Folks, I'm beginning to think we're going to need a redo on this election. I know its unheard of but there is no credibility left in the process we're currently conducting. Rampant cheating on a scale

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

Lol I hope that wasn't his reasoning, he better have talked to some people and showed some compassion before hand because UT is going winless if all the black players transfer. 

No they won't.  This whole thing will be resolved soon. The committee will be releasing their report soon and this whole thing will go away. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DBOOK23 said:

Lol I hope that wasn't his reasoning, he better have talked to some people and showed some compassion before hand because UT is going winless if all the black players transfer. 

I think he was well aware of the shitstorm and mishandling of the entire situation by the previous staff, if he wasn't he and his people didn't do their research. 

 

How do you think Urban Meyer would have handled it, everyone here wanted an authoritarian type of coach, and IMO we got ourselves one. Kids are going to transfer no matter what, if that's the excuse they use then they really don't want to be here..Sark just coached a Heisman Trophy winner and a National Championship, would you walk away from that on some ideological differences regarding the interpretation of a song? I honestly don't think Sark cares who transfers out because I think he will have no problem fielding a very competative team

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hiwood said:

I think he was well aware of the shitstorm and mishandling of the entire situation by the previous staff, if he wasn't he and his people didn't do their research. 

 

How do you think Urban Meyer would have handled it, everyone here wanted an authoritarian type of coach, and IMO we got ourselves one. Kids are going to transfer no matter what, if that's the excuse they use then they really don't want to be here..Sark just coached a Heisman Trophy winner and a National Championship, would you walk away from that on some ideological differences regarding the interpretation of a song? I honestly don't think Sark cares who transfers out because I think he will have any problem fielding a very competative team

Well for the players its not about an ideology, for it is very real and personal to them as it is about a history of oppression and racism towards Blacks in this country and the origin of the song may be offensive to them. Just because you can't relate doesn't make their concerns non existent. At some point you have to show people some compassion and work with them towards making a change for the better. Like I said you'd be the first person on this board to pout and whine if all the blacks decided to leave based on this issue, so we all better do right by them and show some damn compassion and understanding now before it gets to that point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

Setting a tone that football players need only be concerned about football is a big step in making winning non-negotiable.

Prior to this it was optional based on their emotions at the time. 

The ol stick to sports mantra huh. All they are, are football players who are devoid of experience and aspirations beyond the game. They should just shut up about the problems that they and others like them face in society so that UT can win football games. Their lives beyond football are no concern to you. Got it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

The ol stick to sports mantra huh. All they are, are football players who are devoid of experience and aspirations beyond the game. They should just shut up about the problems that they and others like them face in society so that UT can win football games. Their lives beyond football are no concern to you. Got it.

Or... like the rest of us have to do in our own lives... Do your job and handle personal issues in your personal time. 

I'm glad we have a coach that seems to understand that. Maybe everyone else will eventually understand that as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

Or... like the rest of us have to do in our own lives... Do your job and handle personal issues in your personal time. 

I'm glad we have a coach that seems to understand that. Maybe everyone else will eventually understand that as well.

so if I feel like my work environment is insensitive to racial prejudice I should just take it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

so if I feel like my work environment is insensitive to racial prejudice I should just take it?

I suppose it would depend on how much that particular job meant to you. If the rewards from that job were such that they out weighed your sensitivities, then you would agree to "take it" If you felt you could not in all conscience stay...then of course you leave.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

so if I feel like my work environment is insensitive to racial prejudice I should just take it?

This is not a good analogy. You're implying that racial prejudice resides in the UT Athletic Department. That is the work environment for which, in this case, you're being PAID to perform via free UT education/meals/etc.

Without giving it much thought, you could BLOW your opportunity to gain fame and fortune and put yourself into a position WHERE YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE, if you so choose.

But I digress.

The post you responded to specifically spoke to a personal life. If you experience racial prejudice, why can't you work against it in your personal time? And if you get fired because of what you do on your personal time, you could be fairly wealthy soon after via lawsuit. I mean, they're the ones who would have to make the case, not you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DBOOK23 said:

Well for the players its not about an ideology, for it is very real and personal to them as it is about a history of oppression and racism towards Blacks in this country and the origin of the song may be offensive to them. Just because you can't relate doesn't make their concerns non existent. At some point you have to show people some compassion and work with them towards making a change for the better. Like I said you'd be the first person on this board to pout and whine if all the blacks decided to leave based on this issue, so we all better do right by them and show some damn compassion and understanding now before it gets to that point.

Or we can say the past is best left in the past.  This 2021, and you have an opportunity rarely given to people.  An opportunity for a free education that will serve you the rest of your life and an opportunity to hone your football skills with a possible opportunity to audition for an NFL team.   If that’s not go enough for you because of a song, then bye.   
 

Let’s move this discussion to the political tread.   Don’t want to high jack this one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Let him go 6 & 6 and no one will give a shit he did this..

 

WIN f##kING GAMES IS ALL I CARE ABOUT. 

MIke, I understand what you're saying. It's basically what you told me a year ago or maybe two.

You said "We suck until we don't."

You were right. 

The season we just experienced sucked HARD at times. But it ended on a very positive note and now, by removing the supposed problem with the program, we have new hopes with a new guy who just finished looking like football's equivalent to Einstein in the National Championship game.

It's hard not to get excited. And that may seem foolish to you. I understand that. But you gotta let people be the people they are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

so if I feel like my work environment is insensitive to racial prejudice I should just take it?

I didn't say that... nor anyone else I'm aware of on this board. The question is how you handle it. 

 

Do you handle it in a constructive way that leads to mutual understanding, or do you create waves of friction that make it difficult for everyone in the organization to succeed? Do you do it in a way where everyone wins or everyone loses? This is a general rule applied to all types of situations where people find themselves feeling marginalized.

Remember... understanding is a two way street. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gentlemen, I am not trying to be political and I have yet to express my personal opinion of this matter, my point is simply that if you want black players you need to be sensitive to the issues/sensitivities that they have. The Head Coach signs on to become a father figure to these young men who in many cases are fatherless so the way that he treats them is integral to their own personal formation as well as to the success of the organization. It doesn't matter what you or I think about the issue what matters is what they think and if they have a legit gripe then their voices ought to be heard. I am black and I support the eyes, but I also sympathize with the players that blackface was/is cruel and degrading. If Sark or admin isn't willing to even seek to understand their perspective, then there won't be black athletes at UT for much longer and you can have your eyes with a heavy side of L's on the field.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In reading all of the content concerning the "Eyes of Texas" and whether it’s an insensitive song or not I would say that for some student athletes it likely would be a point of contention to the point that they will not want to attend the University of Texas.  To others it will be a thing of pride and tradition just like the Hook 'EM horns.  No one truly knows what is in the heart of a man be it good or bad.  All that we can do is be kind and considerate and live by our own convictions.  To that end 3, 4, or 5 stars that we lose because of this song we lose.  You play the game with the players you have.  The important thing to remember is not where those stars rated athletes start but where they finish.  I believe that Sark intimated this idea in his press conference before the National Championship Game when he talked about what set Alabama apart from OSU, Clemson, etc.… when they all recruit at a high level and that was player development.  If we truly believe that we will be okay with the players that we have and not those that we lose because "The Eyes of Texas" offended them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

Gentlemen, I am not trying to be political and I have yet to express my personal opinion of this matter, my point is simply that if you want black players you need to be sensitive to the issues/sensitivities that they have. The Head Coach signs on to become a father figure to these young men who in many cases are fatherless so the way that he treats them is integral to their own personal formation as well as to the success of the organization. It doesn't matter what you or I think about the issue what matters is what they think and if they have a legit gripe then their voices ought to be heard. I am black and I support the eyes, but I also sympathize with the players that blackface was/is cruel and degrading. If Sark or admin isn't willing to even seek to understand their perspective, then there won't be black athletes at UT for much longer and you can have your eyes with a heavy side of L's on the field.

Disagree.  Not all black players are living in the past.  Some actually appreciate the opportunity given them in today’s world.   
 

And saying UT can’t win without black players is probably true but still a damn racist thing to say.  Damn sure can’t say UT can’t win without white players 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UT1983 said:

Disagree.  Not all black players are living in the past.  Some actually appreciate the opportunity given them in today’s world.   
 

And saying UT can’t win without black players is probably true but still a damn racist thing to say.  Damn sure can’t say UT can’t win without white players 

Lol im sure you pulled that out of your ass. You have no idea what is in the hearts of black players that's evident by you saying that they are living in the past. Buddy, its 2021 and its STILL an issue. This is a present problem. And its not racist to say its simply true. 80% of pro's are black nothing you can do about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

Lol im sure you pulled that out of your ass. You have no idea what is in the hearts of black players that's evident by you saying that they are living in the past. Buddy, its 2021 and its STILL an issue. This is a present problem. And its not racist to say its simply true. 80% of pro's are black nothing you can do about it.

And neither do you.  Not all the black players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Week
    Opponent
    W/L
    9/12
    UTEP
    W 59-3
    9/26
    @Texas Tech
    W 63-56 (OT)
    10/3
    TCU
    L 31-33
    10/10
    Oklahoma
    L 45-53 (4OT)
    10/24
    Baylor
    W 27-16
    10/31
    @Oklahoma State
    W 41-34 (OT)
    11/7
    West Virginia
    W 17-13
    11/27
    Iowa State
    L 20-23
    12/5
    @Kansas State
    W 69-31
    12/12
    @Kansas
    CANCELLED

Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

Home
Forums
News
Store

Quick Links

Football
Men's Basketball
Baseball
More Sports

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...