Find results in...

2023 Recruiting Board/Thread

TFloss32

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Only looked at Texas H S players. Agree discussion was about national players. Proably Texas top 50 are in national top 200. Might take time tocheck.

Texas has 8 players in the national top 50 high school players, 17 players in the top 100, 36 players in the  top 200, 53 players in the top 300, 67 players in the top 400, and 84 players in the top 500. 

Per the ON3 Consensus rankings.  

2 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

Melissa is just down Hwy 5 from me and my granddaughter plays basketball there. Melissa has this kid and another kid being highly recruited, Nigel Smith, who is ranked 57th in the national rankings for 2024. And still another OL who will be a sophomore who is getting some attention already after starting as a freshmen. 

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

This makes 13 of their 19 commits ranked inside the top 200. 

For a little perspective, we have 7 commits out of 22 ranked inside the top 200. That's how good Alabama is recruiting this year. 

I saw it posted after Baxter that Texas has the most players in the top 70 for 2023 class. Now, between 70 and 200 we only have 1 more player, so depending on your cut-off you can make it look good or bad.

We do have a lot of guys in the 200s for a total of 14 in the top 300 (Tre Wisner just outside at 314). Compared to Bama who also has 14 in the top 300. 

Bama is a tough school to be compared to and I do agree that they have more quality across the board but Texas is not far off at this point. 

32 minutes ago, TexExSpur said:

That sir, is what we call moving the goal post.  We still have a long way to go to be ready for the move.

You are comparing us to the best team in the country and saying we aren't ready for the SEC.  You are arguing apples and oranges.  Nobody except Georgia recruits like Alabama.  So maybe we aren't ready for a SEC championship but that doesn't mean we aren't ready for the move.  We had a top 5 class last year and will probably have a top 5 class next year.  We may not be able to compete with Alabama in 2 years but we could be if we get another class like that and we build the trenches and the coaches develop the players they recruit.

Turnarounds can be fast once they start.  Ask Alabama.  They had a missing decade then hired Saban went 7-6 in first year and then...

I'm not saying Sark is going to turn it around.  Just that a turnaround can happen fast.  

9 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

I saw it posted after Baxter that Texas has the most players in the top 70 for 2023 class. Now, between 70 and 200 we only have 1 more player, so depending on your cut-off you can make it look good or bad.

We do have a lot of guys in the 200s for a total of 14 in the top 300 (Tre Wisner just outside at 314). Compared to Bama who also has 14 in the top 300. 

Bama is a tough school to be compared to and I do agree that they have more quality across the board but Texas is not far off at this point. 

I started looking at these type of numbers because I got curious as to what the gap was between Texas and the elite schools when it came to recruiting. It's one thing to say we had the #4 ranked class but I wanted to see how far away we were from the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st ranked classes.

I picked the 6 teams who have made the most playoff appearances in recent years Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma along with Texas and Texas A&M. Nothing magical about the numbers I picked top 50, top 100, top 200 and top 300. Just the way I picked to look at it. And I did it primarily as a % of total commits rather than number of commits. To me, a team with 6 commits out of 18 in the top100 is doing better than a team with 6 commits out of 24 in the top 100, if that makes sense. 

Did this for the last 5 years, 2018 to 2022 and for 2023. Then I even have it narrowed down for just the 2022 and 2023 classes so I could see how Sark alone compares. Makes the picture a little clearer for me plus it eliminates the "opinon" part.  

And I used the On3 Consensus rankings for this since it equally weights all 4 recruiting services. 

4 minutes ago, Wayne said:

You are comparing us to the best team in the country and saying we aren't ready for the SEC.  You are arguing apples and oranges.  Nobody except Georgia recruits like Alabama.  So maybe we aren't ready for a SEC championship but that doesn't mean we aren't ready for the move.  We had a top 5 class last year and will probably have a top 5 class next year.  We may not be able to compete with Alabama in 2 years but we could be if we get another class like that and we build the trenches and the coaches develop the players they recruit.

Turnarounds can be fast once they start.  Ask Alabama.  They had a missing decade then hired Saban went 7-6 in first year and then...

I'm not saying Sark is going to turn it around.  Just that a turnaround can happen fast.  

Recruiting wise, I think we probably compare pretty favorably to any team in the SEC other than Alabama and Georgia. 

35 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Recruiting wise, they just started pulling the large humans they need in the last cycle.  I think they'll be ready by the time the move occurs, but I'm not a paper tiger guy.  This team has been lackluster for far to long to get excited about over  recruiting classes until they put it together on the field.  Championships are the point, nothing else matters. 

13 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Melissa is just down Hwy 5 from me and my granddaughter plays basketball there. Melissa has this kid and another kid being highly recruited, Nigel Smith, who is ranked 57th in the national rankings for 2024. And still another OL who will be a sophomore who is getting some attention already after starting as a freshmen. 

Denison is in the same district this year and I hope to make that game. And have it penciled in as a loss for the Yellow Jackets lol

1 hour ago, TexExSpur said:

Recruiting wise, they just started pulling the large humans they need in the last cycle.  I think they'll be ready by the time the move occurs, but I'm not a paper tiger guy.  This team has been lackluster for far to long to get excited about over  recruiting classes until they put it together on the field.  Championships are the point, nothing else matters. 

Championships are the point. Wish Brown had known that. Great recruiternot so much coach. 

Mathews aoon.

3 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

I picked the 6 teams who have made the most playoff appearances in recent years Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma along with Texas and Texas A&M. Nothing magical about the numbers I picked top 50, top 100, top 200 and top 300. Just the way I picked to look at it. And I did it primarily as a % of total commits rather than number of commits. To me, a team with 6 commits out of 18 in the top100 is doing better than a team with 6 commits out of 24 in the top 100, if that makes sense. 

Love this analysis. Can you post your results - I know you did share at least some of the info previously

• Administrators

IT wrote today that TE Duce Robinson of Phoenix, AZ continues to be intrigued by the additions to Texas' class.

Sources telling them Texas and USC are his top two schools and he's eager to see Austin in a few weeks.

The Texas baseball coaches are also interested, so my guess is they'll be involved with his upcoming official visit.

https://247sports.com/player/duce-robinson-46086662/

Matthews commits on Monday. Jalen Hale moved his date up 1 day in order to allow for a ceremony at his school.

CB Jordan Matthews - 8/15 commitment

CB Javien Toviano - 8/25 (opener vs Lake Travis)

WR Jalen Hale - 9/21 commitment

ATH/WR Mikal HP - after fall visits

DL - David Hicks - UA AA game, Jan 2nd

Uncommitted targets we keep chasing:

TE Duce Robinson (visits Sept 10th, Bama)

Edge Tausili Akana (visits Sept 10th)

Edge Damon Wilson

DL Jordan Hall

DL - Markis Deal

6 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

Matthews commits on Monday. Jalen Hale moved his date up 1 day in order to allow for a ceremony at his school.

CB Jordan Matthews - 8/15 commitment

CB Javien Toviano - 8/25 (opener vs Lake Travis)

WR Jalen Hale - 9/21 commitment

ATH/WR Mikal HP - after fall visits

DL - David Hicks - UA AA game, Jan 2nd

Uncommitted targets we keep chasing:

TE Duce Robinson (visits Sept 10th, Bama)

Edge Tausili Akana (visits Sept 10th)

Edge Damon Wilson

DL Jordan Hall

DL - Markis Deal

Do we have room for all 10?