Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2023 Recruiting Board/Thread

TFloss32

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Osborne and Vasek are now off the board.

We now have dates for Gullette and Shelby with Matthews also likely to pop soon.

Edge Derion Gullette - 8/5 commitment

Edge Braylon Shelby.- 8/6 commitment

RB Cedrick Baxter - 8/10 commitment

CB Jordan Matthews - prior to season***

CB Javien Toviano - 8/25 (opener vs Lake Travis)

WR Jalen Hale - 9/22 commitment

ATH/WR Mikal HP - after fall visits

TE Duce Robinson - long game...

DL - Markis Deal

DL - David Hicks - UA AA game, Jan 2nd

9 hours ago, Austin Horn said:

It’s tough to recruit the defense because last year texas had one of the worst statistical defense in school history. I don’t recall Diaz, Bedford, and Orlando having a defense that bad. 

You may be giving some of these too much credit.  But point taken.  

17 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

You may be giving some of these too much credit.  But point take.   

I'm looking at the defense this way, each one of those coaches mentioned (Diaz, Bedford and Orlando) all had a decent to good defense in their 1st years on the job.  They got statistically worse every year after.  

PK had a bad defense in year 1 so they can only improve right?  I mean there is nowhere else to go. 

Let’s not forget that we have TWO generational quarterbacks and the best Oline haul in longhorn history. And the best running back in the nation. And a set of receivers that is damn good. 
last year our offense sucked in the second half of almost every game we lost.  If they can score, the defense will look a lot better. 
The league rules are set up for the offense. In this league, you gotta score. And we will score a lot more in the future. It might take a year or two, but we will see flashes of brilliance soon

9 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

IT has mentioned it plenty of times, even as recently as this weekend about how Denver didn't even want to visit College Station last-minute with his brother.

His comment was about aggy not paying what they said they were.Himf not wanting to visit has nothing to do with that. Different topic.  Now if he does not get the money they promised then we are on topic.

57 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

His comment was about aggy not paying what they said they were.Himf not wanting to visit has nothing to do with that. Different topic.  Now if he does not get the money they promised then we are on topic.

Its not just about not paying as they said, they were stung by fine print in the contract. So they feel hoodwinked, which fosters negative feelings any time it happens. This of course adds to the likelihood of a portal entry as no one really likes to play for people who stuck it to them.

Him not wanting to visit was a point toward the paying process. When he visited, they slapped him across the face with hundred dollar bills. He ends up aggy. He ends up burned.

Word gets out, others pay attention, which is why their class sucks so bad. That and the fact that they've had the spotlight on them over paying their recruits.

11 hours ago, texbound said:

I'm looking at the defense this way, each one of those coaches mentioned (Diaz, Bedford and Orlando) all had a decent to good defense in their 1st years on the job.  They got statistically worse every year after.  

PK had a bad defense in year 1 so they can only improve right?  I mean there is nowhere else to go. 

A d-line with Jackson Jeffcoat and Malcom Brown and the defense was bad under Diaz damn 

3 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

If you want to talk defense look at he ones who faced Joe and Roger.

Players on both defensive and offensive today are bigger and faster than they were in the 70s and 80s. The first 300 lb’er was Refrigerator Perry in the 80s. The reason defenses were better was offensive linemen weren’t allowed to extend their arms to block, late hits on QBs weren’t really a thing, WRs could be pushed out of bounds and become ineligible, and defenders were allowed to hold receivers all the way down the field until ball was in the area. 

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

Players on both defensive and offensive today are bigger and faster than they were in the 70s and 80s. The first 300 lb’er was Refrigerator Perry in the 80s. The reason defenses were better was offensive linemen weren’t allowed to extend their arms to block, late hits on QBs weren’t really a thing, WRs could be pushed out of bounds and become ineligible, and defenders were allowed to hold receivers all the way down the field until ball was in the area. 

Same can be said for 50's and 60's. However borh teams played by same rules and the two were fair QBS

And Horns will get a commitment this weekend.

5 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

If you want to talk defense look at he ones who faced Joe and Roger.

1983 Texas defense gave up 9 points per game on average.  Allowed Georgia to cross the 50 yard line 3 times in a Cotton Bowl loss that cost us a national championship 🤮

Best college defense I’ve ever seen.  

6 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

1983 Texas defense gave up 9 points per game on average.  Allowed Georgia to cross the 50 yard line 3 times in a Cotton Bowl loss that cost us a national championship 🤮

Best college defense I’ve ever seen.  

That was agonizing to watch. Putrid  offense with swarming D, wasn't  it punt return that cost us game?

8 minutes ago, Brad Usrey said:

That was agonizing to watch. Putrid  offense with swarming D, wasn't  it punt return that cost us game?

Yes.  Georgia basically conceded by punting on 4th down with very little time left.  It took us by surprise so a DB dropped back last minute and tried to field the punt.  The fumble put them somewhere around the 20.  

They say high emotionally charged moments burn in your memory.  Let’s just say I wrote all of that without Google for assistance.  

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

Yes.  Georgia basically conceded by punting on 4th down with very little time left.  It took us by surprise so a DB dropped back last minute and tried to field the punt.  The fumble put them somewhere around the 20.  

They say high emotionally charged moments burn in your memory.  Let’s just say I wrote all of that without Google for assistance.  

If memory serves, the regular punt returner got injured and that lead to one of the CB having to drop back.  Agree w all the comments, one of the most difficult losses in my lifetime.  #1 lost later that night (Orange bowl?)

20 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

We need top 100 type players.  The hit miss rate for players of their ranking is high... I want a roster like Bama, Georgia, Ohio State. 

I counted how may Top 100 players are committed and 100% crystal balled per 247.

Alabama - 8

OU - 8

Texas - 8

The U - 7

UGa - 6

gaggy - 5

Ohio St - 5

USC - 5

ND - 4

LSU - 4

Clemson - 4