Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2023 Recruiting Board/Thread

TFloss32

1 hour ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

The only people mentioning it is an issue is Texas fans. Not one credible source has said anything... Regardless they are recruiting defense at a high level.  I would love to have at least 10 of their defensive guys.   Their roster on defense is better then ours. 

Hello? This has been a story for the past three weeks. The story begins with "why does aggy recruiting suck so bad this year?" and "after a 1st place finish last year, why are they in 44th place this year?"

44th place isn't a high level. It's being behind Boston friggin College and just ahead of Colorado.

Last year's class is a different story. But that was last year. This year is very different and now we know why.

Recruiting really doesn't have anything to do with their roster at this point. But yes, several players from last year's class are pretty ticked about the fine print of their contracts right now. And yes, that's been a story, too.

There are only so many 5-stars and 4-stars to go around. I suppose aggy can get some of what's left but that won't be much.

15 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Max Johnson is a left-handed Calzada and King is one hit away from snapping a bone.  Factor in Jimbo's dinosaur offense and they will be limited.  They are also playing much better teams this year than last.

Agree. There's nothing sure or even promising at QB for them right now. King is going to get broken in half some day.

17 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Hello? This has been a story for the past three weeks. The story begins with "why does aggy recruiting suck so bad this year?" and "after a 1st place finish last year, why are they in 44th place this year?"

44th place isn't a high level. It's being behind Boston friggin College and just ahead of Colorado.

Last year's class is a different story. But that was last year. This year is very different and now we know why.

Recruiting really doesn't have anything to do with their roster at this point. But yes, several players from last year's class are pretty ticked about the fine print of their contracts right now. And yes, that's been a story, too.

There are only so many 5-stars and 4-stars to go around. I suppose aggy can get some of what's left but that won't be much.

Their 44th ranking in the 247 composite is due to one thing and one thing only and that is the size of their class. As they add more recruits that ranking will drop. How much, no one knows.

The flip side of that 44th ranking is that they rank 2nd only to Alabama in the average player ranking. But that too will likely  adjust downward when it's all said and down. 

Still a long way to go in this year's recruiting. For everyone. 

2 hours ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

Yes, but you're not going to get a class full of top 100 guys until you develop the players you recruit and show results on the field and on draft day. I'm feeling better about this staff's ability to do that more than I did with previous staffs.. Time will tell, but can't expect a class full of 5 stars until you prove that you can develop and win with the players you have now.

For sure. You have to stack class after class of highly ranked players. That's what Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State have done over the years and that's why they compete at the level they do. 

Nobody gets a class full of 5 stars not even Alabama or Georgia. Five or six is usually what they are getting. Right now, Texas averages about two 5*s per year.

They also get roughly twice as many top 50 players and top 100 players as Texas does. Those are critical gaps that Texas needs to close. But it will take probably another 2-3 years. 

18 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Their 44th ranking in the 247 composite is due to one thing and one thing only and that is the size of their class. As they add more recruits that ranking will drop. How much, no one knows.

The flip side of that 44th ranking is that they rank 2nd only to Alabama in the average player ranking. But that too will likely  adjust downward when it's all said and down. 

Still a long way to go in this year's recruiting. For everyone. 

No, there's really not a long way to go as far as recruits aggy actually wants. So many of those are already gone/committed elsewhere. Thats why Hill was SO important to them. Until Hill committed, aggy class wasn't even ranked in the top 50.

As they "fill up" as you say, so many of those will now have to be 3-stars and low 4-stars because the pool is thinner. They lost out on a ton of their targets.

This is what I was referring to in another post I made about Texas' class. We have obtained the recruits we've really gone after with few exceptions. That, and not the ranking, is what's really important.

Example. We wanted and went after Arch Manning. After much time and effort investment, we got our guy.

Aggy, OTOH, got their QB then had him stolen by a bigger player (bama). Aggy will not get who they originally wanted most. They will settle for what they CAN get.

41 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

For sure. You have to stack class after class of highly ranked players. That's what Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State have done over the years and that's why they compete at the level they do. 

Nobody gets a class full of 5 stars not even Alabama or Georgia. Five or six is usually what they are getting. Right now, Texas averages about two 5*s per year.

I'm sure you you realize those coaches/schools only achieved that recruiting success after demonstrating that they could develop players and be successful on the field.

If this staff is as good as we think/hope then we should expect an upward trajectory for the program.  If that happens won't be looking up at any other program in terms of wins or recruits in the not too distant future. 

19 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Alabama and Ohio State hit it big in hiring new coaches. Georgia might have.  Meanwhile Texas did not. There fore Horns is where they are and thats a fact.

There is no "might have" when it comes to Georgia hitting it big with their coaching hire. They did hit it big no ands, if, or buts about it. 

Whether Texas did or not is still to be determined. 

5 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Sign the guys that will make our program elite. 

If I had to chose between being the best recruiting team and being the best football team I’m taking option 2. 

The guys that will make our program elite are also the best and highest ranked recruits. Over course of time, the best football teams also recruit the best. See Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Clemson. 

I agree the best teams recruit well. Do the best recruiting teams also have the best football teams? Not all of them  

Our Longhorns since 2010

Recruiting:

Top 25 every year

Outside the top 10 four years

Top 10 fifteen years

Top 5 six years 

On the field:

3 top 25 final rankings 

1 top 10 finish #9

Wins per year:

1 ten win season 

1 nine win season 

3 eight win seasons 

2 seven win seasons 

1 six win seasons 

4 five win seasons

No team in the country could consistently recruit as well while performing as poorly as us. 

If we ever get our crap fixed on the field we will recruit in the top 3 every year. 

2 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

I agree the best teams recruit well. Do the best recruiting teams also have the best football teams? Not all of them  

Our Longhorns since 2010

Recruiting:

Top 25 every year

Top 10 fifteen years

Top 5 six years 

On the field:

3 top 25 final rankings 

1 top 10 finish #9

Wins per year:

1 ten win season 

1 nine win season 

3 eight win seasons 

2 seven win seasons 

1 six win seasons 

4 five win seasons

No team in the country could consistently recruit as well while performing as poorly as us. 

If we ever get our crap fixed on the field we will recruit in the top 3 every year. 

Oh no!  The dreaded " we just need to win" mantra.

1 hour ago, RickyFlair said:

Our Longhorns since 2010

Recruiting:

Top 25 every year

Top 10 fifteen years

Top 5 six years 

On the field:

3 top 25 final rankings 

1 top 10 finish #9

Wins per year:

1 ten win season 

1 nine win season 

3 eight win seasons 

2 seven win seasons 

1 six win seasons 

4 five win seasons

I look at recruiting rankings a little differently than most people do. 

We may be ranked 5th but that doesn't tell us what the gap is between us and the 4th ranked team. 

For instance, in the On3 Consensus ratings, Ohio State is ranked 4th and Texas is ranked 5th. But dig a little deeper and you find that 16 of Ohio State's 19 commits are ranked in the top 300 and 17 in the top 400. While Texas has 12 of their 20 commits ranked in the top 300 and 14 in the top 400. That's actually a pretty big gap. 

2 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

Our Longhorns since 2010

Recruiting:

Top 25 every year

Top 10 fifteen years

Top 5 six years 

On the field:

3 top 25 final rankings 

1 top 10 finish #9

Wins per year:

1 ten win season 

1 nine win season 

3 eight win seasons 

2 seven win seasons 

1 six win seasons 

4 five win seasons

During the NFL draft, those recruiting classes are like ghost or you never hear from them. 

5 hours ago, El Luchador said:

I feel like edge isn't as big of a priority considering we got Jmond Tapp, Finkley, Derrick brown, and ethan burke last year. B walton and one more edge seems sufficient enough. Could be wrong but just my opinion. 

Agree. Early talk is very high on J'Mond Tapp and of course you've heard tons of reports on Finkley. We're in a position to be selective with whoever we might take . . . or take what we have in the class already and be fine with it.