2023 Recruiting Board/Thread

TFloss32

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Fun fact for all the star chasers. Trust the process with the big uglies 

Agree completely. OL is the hardest position to project in my opinion. I love the highly rated class last year followed up by a bunch of huge human beings with a chip on their shoulders. A couple of years in the weight room and look out.

1 hour ago, okiehorn said:

Fun fact for all the star chasers. Trust the process with the big uglies 

This seems misleading,  it makes it seem like stars don't matter.  When you consider there are about 30  5*, 330 4* and 1300 3* each year you realize that there's a strong correlation between stars and success.

25 minutes ago, dssl said:

This seems misleading,  it makes it seem like stars don't matter.  When you consider there are about 30  5*, 330 4* and 1300 3* each year you realize that there's a strong correlation between stars and success.

You're not wrong and I would normally agree with you, however:

* Flood evaluated and targeted this group very early. I trust his evaluation and development. He showed last year that he was willing to wait for the right guys. If he took the commit, they must be his guys this year.

* Their offer lists were strong. Sometimes I put more stock on this than star ratings

* Part of Mack Brown's demise was his reliance on recruiting service rankings. He got lazy and relied on star ratings too much

* We have our share of 4 stars and a couple more high 4 and 5 stars are probably on the way (Cook, Baxter). We're making up a ton of ground on Hill and Hicks

* A lot of these guys will get a bump now that they commited.

I like stars too don't get me wrong. I just think that a little patience and trust go a long way. Don't forget Cooper is making some calls now. That carries a good amount of weight. 

10 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

Banks is a big game hunter, so probably that type of player.

Banks really is. My wife said something about they might have to let him go after that Monkey incident. I laughed and said nawww they aren’t going to let him go and would probably use that with recruits. Kids like that kinda stuff. Banks has always been a recruiting guru. He kinda like Brewster. I met Brewster a few times and you can tell right away why they can recruit. They used to send Brewster in a lot of times ahead of Mack and then he would go with Mack some. Brewster learned a lot of recruiting from Mack. Some guys just have it. 

39 minutes ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

You're not wrong and I would normally agree with you, however:

* Flood evaluated and targeted this group very early. I trust his evaluation and development. He showed last year that he was willing to wait for the right guys. If he took the commit, they must be his guys this year.

* Their offer lists were strong. Sometimes I put more stock on this than star ratings

* Part of Mack Brown's demise was his reliance on recruiting service rankings. He got lazy and relied on star ratings too much

* We have our share of 4 stars and a couple more high 4 and 5 stars are probably on the way (Cook, Baxter). We're making up a ton of ground on Hill and Hicks

* A lot of these guys will get a bump now that they commited.

I like stars too don't get me wrong. I just think that a little patience and trust go a long way. Don't forget Cooper is making some calls now. That carries a good amount of weight. 

I love coach Flood, and was definitely not trying to question his evaluations or recruiting,  I was only pointing out that someone could wrongly interpret your post as implying stars are not predictive of Oline recruits success.