Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2023 Recruiting Board/Thread

TFloss32

3 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

I wish I could say I was shocked, but there were a few big media personalities today saying this would create a QB controversy at Texas without realizing Ewers was recruiting Manning and the separation between them for playing time.

All kinds of naysayers are coming up with crap like this. aggy is really guilty. Has anyone noticed how many Texas recruits aggy dumbo has offered in the last couple of days? Hamilton, Burton and Nahlin made mention of it. I've seen aggy posters declare that Manning is no better than a low 4 star and could never play on their team. The jealousy is ridiculous.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

I wish I could say I was shocked, but there were a few big media personalities today saying this would create a QB controversy at Texas without realizing Ewers was recruiting Manning and the separation between them for playing time.

Mandel was the worst I saw today.

What is this tweet other than trolling?

We've got tremendous momentum now, but we have one more hurdle to clear...defense. Kwiakowski may be a great defensive coordinator, but so far, he hasn't shown that at Texas. 

IMHO, we pay Gary Patterson whatever it takes to get him a title and position on the defensive staff. Co-coordinator/Assistant head coach, whatever. Being a defensive analyst is too temporary. To me, that would show that we're really serious about having a great defense as well. 

Get him a NIL deal he can't refuse. Lol

23 minutes ago, UTfish said:

We've got tremendous momentum now, but we have one more hurdle to clear...defense. Kwiakowski may be a great defensive coordinator, but so far, he hasn't shown that at Texas. 

IMHO, we pay Gary Patterson whatever it takes to get him a title and position on the defensive staff. Co-coordinator/Assistant head coach, whatever. Being a defensive analyst is too temporary. To me, that would show that we're really serious about having a great defense as well. 

Get him a NIL deal he can't refuse. Lol

With on field coaching size limitations, it may be the better move to keep him in his current role. To give him an on field role would require dropping another coach. 

I do agree, keep him in Austin as long as possible at basically whatever costs. I think the current arrangement is a good set up for all. Gary gets to be a football junkie, do deep dives on problems within the program and help provide solutions to Sark and Co. At the same time, he doesn't have to be out recruiting or have the pressure or stress of the head coach role.

It also means a replacement for PK is waiting in the wings if things go south and a change is needed.

Seems like the Arch commitment is creating the type of buzz was expected with other possible commits. Seems like Baxter and Cook are about ready to pop. Also, seems to give us a chance with defensive guys like DJ Hicks and Anthony Hill that we may not have had otherwise.

Some of these out of state studs that now want to jump into the mix give me some pause. In terms of culture and program fit, do we want blue chips jumping on board with Texas now, just because of Arch? To a degree, yes, of course, but those commitments would come with baggage and would be players I would be concerned about hitting the transfer portal. They would be guys who want to play AT Texas (and only because of Arch) vs guys who want to play FOR Texas.

All that to say, I hope we can turn the heat up and close the deal with some of the studs who we have been after for years, in state 5 stars, etc and while answering calls and checking in on the interest of the out of state blue chips I'd proceed with caution. 

21 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

Seems like the Arch commitment is creating the type of buzz was expected with other possible commits. Seems like Baxter and Cook are about ready to pop. Also, seems to give us a chance with defensive guys like DJ Hicks and Anthony Hill that we may not have had otherwise.

Some of these out of state studs that now want to jump into the mix give me some pause. In terms of culture and program fit, do we want blue chips jumping on board with Texas now, just because of Arch? To a degree, yes, of course, but those commitments would come with baggage and would be players I would be concerned about hitting the transfer portal. They would be guys who want to play AT Texas (and only because of Arch) vs guys who want to play FOR Texas.

All that to say, I hope we can turn the heat up and close the deal with some of the studs who we have been after for years, in state 5 stars, etc and while answering calls and checking in on the interest of the out of state blue chips I'd proceed with caution. 

Agree. Good problem to have, but at some positions the staff will have to be selective and say no to some talented players. Not all 5 star prospects end up being 5 star players. I do hope we're able to sign some strong defensive talent. Big year for PK.

16 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

With on field coaching size limitations, it may be the better move to keep him in his current role. To give him an on field role would require dropping another coach. 

I do agree, keep him in Austin as long as possible at basically whatever costs. I think the current arrangement is a good set up for all. Gary gets to be a football junkie, do deep dives on problems within the program and help provide solutions to Sark and Co. At the same time, he doesn't have to be out recruiting or have the pressure or stress of the head coach role.

It also means a replacement for PK is waiting in the wings if things go south and a change is needed.

Maybe so, if possible, but he could be paid more in an active on-field role couldn't he, and the perception by the recruits would be enhanced. 

You're right about the fact that he may not want a position like that. Just wishing.