Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2023 Recruiting Board/Thread


TFloss32
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

 

There goes the 25 man signing limit. Still required to stay below 85 scholarship players. 

Top tier schools are probably at their best in regards to talent acquisition if they can recruit small but high quality high school classes and leave plenty of room for incoming transfers. Imagine scouting and recruiting college sophomores instead of high school sophomores. 

The flipside is, missing on a high school recruit isn't as detrimental since you can process them out and replace them with a transfer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

There goes the 25 man signing limit. Still required to stay below 85 scholarship players. 

Top tier schools are probably at their best in regards to talent acquisition if they can recruit small but high quality high school classes and leave plenty of room for incoming transfers. Imagine scouting and recruiting college sophomores instead of high school sophomores. 

The flipside is, missing on a high school recruit isn't as detrimental since you can process them out and replace them with a transfer.

Another by product of the transfer portal and NIL. 

This will benefit top tier schools as you describe,  but it will also benefit non top tier schools since they will have similar issues, the only difference is the level of talent available to them is slightly less. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
8 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

So now Johntay Cook is enamored with Michigan and has an OV set up there for June.

Texas, who has been in on him for a year before Michigan somehow found his phone number, doesn't have an OV scheduled with Cook.

I think this is where I part ways with Cook. I hope we fill up at WR before Cook makes a decision.

From where I sit, status quo with Cook; it will be A&M or Texas.

He's going to chill and enjoy the process as much as possible (very clear in that YouTube video he published he likes being recruited) up until Manning makes a decision.

He's been to both schools numerous times, so Michigan and others are free trips, but ultimately he'll take officials to Austin and College Station.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

So one now can sign 40 players in the fall work them outin spring practice and summer. Then dismiss 15 or so by august

Great for the game and the piayers,

Not so sure it works that way. When you sign it is for a one year renewable scholarship. The team still has to give them one year of education. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Wayne said:

Not so sure it works that way. When you sign it is for a one year renewable scholarship. The team still has to give them one year of education. 

Eastex said "dismiss" but I think more accurately it would be "encourage to transfer". If they "choose" to transfer it would free the university from the scholarship.

I don't think what Eastex mentions is what will really happen though. As a player, you would be aware of how many scholarship players are on the roster and know that 15 guys won't be sticking around in the fall. If you think you will be one of the 15, do you really sign at that point?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dssl said:

Another by product of the transfer portal and NIL. 

This will benefit top tier schools as you describe,  but it will also benefit non top tier schools since they will have similar issues, the only difference is the level of talent available to them is slightly less. 

Gonna be interesting to see how things play out. With the current rules in place, I think the talent distribution will be less diffuse and will be concentrate at the top tier schools or conferences. Guys that are studs at the group of 5 level now have the mobility (transfer portal) and incentive (NIL) to transfer to a power 5 school. For example, does Ed Oliver play his entire career at Houston in the current environment? 

Underperforming guys at top schools will be suggested to transfer and will land someone more suitable for their level of performance. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

Eastex said "dismiss" but I think more accurately it would be "encourage to transfer". If they "choose" to transfer it would free the university from the scholarship.

I don't think what Eastex mentions is what will really happen though. As a player, you would be aware of how many scholarship players are on the roster and know that 15 guys won't be sticking around in the fall. If you think you will be one of the 15, do you really sign at that point?

I agree this isn't likely to happen, and would be problematic, although I suspect every player that signs at TX wouldn't think they "will be one if the 15"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dssl said:

I agree this isn't likely to happen, and would be problematic, although I suspect every player that signs at TX wouldn't think they "will be one if the 15"

Very true. I do expect to see more post-spring football transfers and even more summer/fall transfers then we have seen in the past. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BWilk55 said:

Eastex said "dismiss" but I think more accurately it would be "encourage to transfer". If they "choose" to transfer it would free the university from the scholarship.

I don't think what Eastex mentions is what will really happen though. As a player, you would be aware of how many scholarship players are on the roster and know that 15 guys won't be sticking around in the fall. If you think you will be one of the 15, do you really sign at that point?

The biggest problem with that scenario is that while the yearly 25 man limit is gone, the 85 total scholarship limit is not.  So if you bring in 40 and keep 25, you'll have a 70 man scholarship roster instead of 85.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wayne said:

The biggest problem with that scenario is that while the yearly 25 man limit is gone, the 85 total scholarship limit is not.  So if you bring in 40 and keep 25, you'll have a 70 man scholarship roster instead of 85.

 

but then you just go out and add 15 transfers.

I don't think schools will have an issue getting up to 85, if anything, they will have to deal with having too many guys on the roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BWilk55 said:

but then you just go out and add 15 transfers.

I don't think schools will have an issue getting up to 85, if anything, they will have to deal with having too many guys on the roster.

You can't add players in season.  At the end of camp when you cut them.  You won't have time to add players before the 1st game and they wouldn't be eligible for the year.  And you can't rescind the scholarship until year one is done if they signed a letter of intent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Wayne said:

You can't add players in season.  At the end of camp when you cut them, you won't have time to add players before the 1st game and they wouldn't be eligible for the year.  And you can't rescind the scholarship until year one is done if they signed a letter of intent.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

I would bet his time line is as long as Manning is uncommited.

Cook is not as good as Cook thinks he is. He'd come in around 3-4 on my WR board. 

The "enjoying the process" is only afforded to those who have the value to command a school to wait them out. I don't think Cook is that type of recruit.

Obviously, I'm not as hung up on Cook being in this class as some are. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Cook is not as good as Cook thinks he is. He'd come in around 3-4 on my WR board. 

The "enjoying the process" is only afforded to those who have the value to command a school to wait them out. I don't think Cook is that type of recruit.

Obviously, I'm not as hung up on Cook being in this class as some are. 

 

100% agree. Cook ranks #1 in self promotion but he’s probably outside of  the top 5 if I was ranking. 
I would have to chuckle a little if we fill up the WR room prior to Arch committing. I bet Cook wouldn’t enjoy that part of “the process”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, NWAHorn said:

Saban was talking to "local" bidnes leaders. I think he's just implying that they need to start ponying up $$ for NIL if they expect 'bama to keep it's winning ways. I don't think he can actually ask them to give money to the 'bama's NIL companies but he can imply they are falling behind and are going to start losing games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Watching this unfold has been hilarious.

Jimbo vehemently denied buying players, then their AD - who orchestrated the Ole Miss cheating scandal - proceeds to admit some of the 2022 signees have million dollar deals.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...