Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2021 Offensive Linemen Texas Should Target

GDSDCTXFB.jpg

Texas lost out on twin linemen James and Tommy Brockermeyer. James is a four-star center via the 247Sports Composite while Tommy is a five-star tackle. They’re both ranked as the number one players at their respective positions.

The news was disheartening, to say the least, as Texas was in the driver’s seat for a long time to grab the star-studded set of twins. The news of them committing to Alabama over Texas also pushed the Longhorns outside of the top-10 in the 247Sports class of 2021 rankings.

Four-star tackle Hayden Conner from Katy Taylor is the only offensive lineman that Texas has landed for the 2021 class. Tom Herman and company must focus their attention elsewhere if they want to add to the offensive line. Here are some of the best remaining offensive line targets that Texas has a shot at landing.

Offensive Tackle:

Savion Byrd, Duncanville – Byrd is a 6’5 265-pound tackle/ defensive tackle from Duncanville. He’s a four-star prospect via the 247Sports Composite and ranked as the sixth-best tackle in his class and sixth-best prospect in the state of Texas.

Byrd played tackle his sophomore year and earned first-team all-district for his performance. As a junior, he played primarily defensive tackle but is expected to translate back to offensive tackle at the next level.

Byrd unfortunately, has eight crystal balls in favor of SMU with some ranging from a confidence level of nine all the way down to one. He is one of the top prospects overall in the state of Texas and someone who the Longhorns should commit 100% of their time towards.

Erick Cade, Braswell – Another Texan tackle that the Longhorns should push for is Braswell’s, Erick Cade. He’s a three-star prospect via the 247Sports Composite. He’s ranked as the 53rd offensive tackle for the class of 2021 and the 92nd ranked player in all of Texas for that same class.

Cade is nearly 6’6 and 315 pounds. He was instrumental in Braswell’s offense last year as they had their best season in school history. The Bengals  scored nearly 45 points with Cade per game last year as they made the area round of the 5A D2 state playoffs.

Cade doesn’t have any crystal balls but has offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Baylor, LSU, Ole Miss, and Texas among others.

Offensive Guard:

Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor – You can’t make this list without ‘The Mountain.’ Bryce Foster is an elite guard from Katy Taylor High School. The four-star prospect is ranked as the eighth-best player in the state of Texas and the fourth-best guard in the nation for the 2021 class.

Foster is a behemoth at 315 pounds and is 6’5 tall. Foster and Katy Taylor entered the playoffs at 5-5, they then won four straight games to make it to the 6A D2 state semifinals. During that run, the Mustangs put up 41.25 points per game, as opposed to 26.1 points per game in the regular season.

Foster has generational strength as he is the national record holder for the 15-16-year-old boys shot put. His personal bests in the shot put and discus are 65’3.5 and 198’0.5 respectively.

Foster currently has crystal balls for two schools, 62.5% of them going towards Oklahoma and 37.5% going towards Texas A&M. The one good news for Texas is that Foster’s teammate and close friend, Hayden Conner, is a Longhorn.

When I talked to Conner four months ago he had this to say about Foster. “Bryce and I make each other a lot better. We’ve been together since sixth grade and have had a lot of success. There’s no one that I would rather go to war with.”

Jager Burton, Frederick Douglass (KY) – Another guard Texas should keep its eyes on is Jager Burton from Frederick Douglass High School in Lexington, Kentucky. He’s a four-star prospect who is viewed as the seventh-best guard in his class and the overall number one player in Kentucky.

Burton is 6’4270-pounds who as a junior was named to the first-team all-state team by MaxPreps. He and Frederick Douglass finished 14-1 as they made a run to the Class 5A state title game where they fell to Covington Catholic by a score of 14-7.

At the end of 2019 via his twitter, Burton narrowed down his recruitment to his top-seven schools. Alabama, Clemson, Kentucky, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, and Texas are all fighting for his services. He currently has 75% of his crystal balls leaning towards Ohio State with the other 25% going to Kentucky.

Center:

Michael Myslinski, Bishop Kenny (FL) – It hurts losing out on James Brockermeyer, but there are still other great centers out there, like Michael Myslinski from Bishop Kenny High School in Jacksonville, Florida. Myslinski is a three-star prospect. He’s ranked as the 17th best center in his class and the 189th ranked player in all of Florida.

Myslinski received an offer from Texas on April 3, and on June 20 he took an unofficial virtual visit. The star center is a 6’3 265-pound center who has football running through his blood. His dad, Tom, played nine seasons in the NFL and is now the strength and conditioning coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I talked to Myslinksi three months ago where he said the following. “I contribute my success to my dad and brother. My dad played in the NFL for nine years and has taught me everything about the game as well as my brother who played at Air Force. My dad and brother are both strength and conditioning coaches as well so they both train me at an elite level.”

Myslinski currently has one crystal ball which is in Iowa’s favor at a confidence level of five.

Ezra Dotson-Oyetade, Lakeview Centennial – Another center Texas could look to snag is Lakeview Centennial’s own Ezra Dotson-Oyetade. Per 247Sports own rankings, Oyetade is actually the best center in the 2021 class and is a four-star prospect. While Texas has yet to make an offer, they are interested.

Oyetade is a 6’3 285-pound center who just started playing center towards the end of his sophomore year. The freak of nature was a first-team all-district selection last year as Lakeview Centennial went 6-5.

I talked to Oyetade a few weeks back where he had this to say “I’m still the same guy I was in January when I had zero stars and zero offers. But, it is a blessing to be able to see that all the hard work and dedication is paying off; however, it does not stop here.”

Oyetade is a guy that Texas needs to offer immediately.

6 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Offer Oyetade now.

I'm sadly starting to question this staff regarding their OL scouting and offers. Ezra should've been offered weeks ago and it seemed like it was inevitable per IT, but it now seems, per IT, that Texas is waiting to hear from Myslinski, who I think is slightly inferior to Ezra, but I'm going off of what I've read so who knows.

I know the staff wants more Tackles in this class so I guess I slightly understand the avoidance of a ton of guard/center offers, but they might as well offer the better options and advise that they can only take one more....hoping Ezra jumps first, but now I'm not sure he'll get an offer.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:51 AM, Eastexhorn said:

I have wondering about the OL recruiting for months. There is no way that  Oyetade should not have an offer already. 

Look at offer board few OL offers ant tons of WR and other position offers.

With five positions only DBS  march for numbers.p

I can't explain the lack of offer for Oyetade. I can however, point to the fact that no Big 12 team has offered him and only Vandy and Mizzou of the SEC have offered him. There's more there, it seems.

If you read the title of this thread, you realize this is a conversation we should have been having last year.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:49 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

I can't explain the lack of offer for Oyetade. I can however, point to the fact that no Big 12 team has offered him and only Vandy and Mizzou of the SEC have offered him. There's more there, it seems.

If you read the title of this thread, you realize this is a conversation we should have been having last year.

I'm with SHA on this one.  If Texas was the only school not to offer him then i would really question their scouting.  However, it is kind of odd that teams like TT, Baylor, TCU, KState, OkieSt, and even Kansas haven't offered this kid. Those teams should be all over him.  There has to be something all of these programs are not seeing in him.  Obviously, we as fans see his ranking and immediately question our team for not offering him, but maybe their assessment and scouting just doesn't rank him that high.  Shit, Alabama hasn't even offered him and they offer every mid-3 to 5* kid under the sun.  They may not take them, but they always offer.