Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
HornSports Staff

Talking Texas with 2021 Baseball Commit Ace Whitehead

Texas baseball has acquired its new Ace. Lampasas star 4A football and baseball player Ace Whitehead announced via his twitter that he was committing to the Longhorns to play baseball.

Whitehead is an athlete.  In fact, he is also one of the best quarterbacks in the state of Texas as well.

He has been a three-year starter at quarterback for the Lampasas Badgers. In his first year, he earned district 13-4A-1 Newcomer of the Year. As a sophomore, he was the district 14-4A-1 Offensive MVP. This past season, he continued to receive accolades as he was crowned as the AP 4A Offensive Player of the Year.

In three seasons he has passed for 9,555 yards for 108 touchdowns. Furthermore, he also ran for 1,158 yards and another 35 touchdowns on the ground. As a junior he combined for nearly 5,000 yards and 75 total touchdowns in 15 games. Whitehead led the Badgers to the semi-finals of the 4A D1 playoffs where they lost to eventual state champions Carthage 49-42.

Due to his height at 5’10, baseball seemed like the optimal route. Whitehead makes it official that he will be a Longhorn after his senior year.

“Texas has always been my dream school, I grew up watching the Longhorns play and spent most of my time in Austin,” Whitehead said.

On the diamond he is a left-handed pitcher and outfielder. Before the season ended via the COVID-19 pandemic, Whitehead was hitting .527 while leading the Badgers in runs, hits, and stolen bases. On the mound, he was 3-1 with a 0.92 ERA. Regardless of the sport, he can quite literally do it all.

“I believe playing quarterback has helped enhance my leadership abilities and has made me more mentally tough,” Whitehead explained.

While his baseball season was cut short, Whitehead is staying in shape with “workouts in Llano, every day.”

Before he arrives in Austin, Whitehead still has a career to close-out at Lampasas. The Badgers rode a dream season into the semi-finals where they lost to undefeated state champions, Carthage, by seven points. Lampasas was the only team all season to lose to Carthage by just a single possession.

Whitehead wants to end his miraculous high school career one way and one way only. 

“Win State, that’s the only goal,” Whitehead said.

With Ace Whitehead, Texas Baseball is getting a bonafide competitor. A winner, a guy who can do it all, and someone who already bleeds burnt orange.

Players like Whitehead are what make high school and college sports so special.

“They should know they’re getting a Longhorn through and through, and one who wants to win titles,” Whitehead said.

The post Talking Texas with 2021 Baseball Commit Ace Whitehead appeared first on HornSports.

View this article on HornSports