Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heading to Matagorda Bay to fish next month

16 minutes ago, joeywa said:

I’d bet that @Rookie97 may know someone down there. He’s in HTown and is an avid outdoorsman. 

No real info from me. I haven’t been fishing much in last couple years. More hunting and drinking than fishing. If you ever want to go offshore in Jax, FL my brother in law is awesome captain.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, HornEsch said:

My cousin used Black Hook Offshore a while back and they had a blast. Unfortunately I don't personally know any in that area.

My man!  Hope you have been doing well.  Yeah, going with some old middle/high school buddies.  Looking forward to it. Should be a blast.

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, Rookie97 said:

No real info from me. I haven’t been fishing much in last couple years. More hunting and drinking than fishing. If you ever want to go offshore in Jax, FL my brother in law is awesome captain.

More hunting and drinking sounds a lot like @Bear19’s speed too.

Wasn’t in Matagorda but farther east in Louisiana over the weekend.  The bigger reds were up in the marsh for some reason which isn’t usually the case until October-ish.  Here are just a few pics of the fish we caught...could have posted 20 pictures but no one wants to see every fish.  My buddy landed a huge bull red that was 48” but our scale batteries weren’t working so I’m speculating it was around 30lbs based on one we caught last year that was a little smaller and weighed 24.8lbs.  I had one probably in the 20-25 lb range at the boat and my buddy missed it with the net, and he hadn’t stowed his rod he was using and it tangled the line and it snapped.  I was super pissed but he was probably more pissed at himself than I was at him.  

image.thumb.jpeg.48e20949608690a2f1dac4e0cb548111.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4ea9fb2a792175ed006dfbe2b954d539.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.98962170568c7b36bb42e4abc83e247d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ebbcc3ccb802848f3c4c10e9659ec545.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Dal_Horn said:

Wasn’t in Matagorda but farther east in Louisiana over the weekend.  The bigger reds were up in the marsh for some reason which isn’t usually the case until October-ish.  Here are just a few pics of the fish we caught...could have posted 20 pictures but no one wants to see every fish.  My buddy landed a huge bull red that was 48” but our scale batteries weren’t working so I’m speculating it was around 30lbs based on one we caught last year that was a little smaller and weighed 24.8lbs.  I had one probably in the 20-25 lb range at the boat and my buddy missed it with the net, and he hadn’t stowed his rod he was using and it tangled the line and it snapped.  I was super pissed but he was probably more pissed at himself than I was at him.  

image.thumb.jpeg.48e20949608690a2f1dac4e0cb548111.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4ea9fb2a792175ed006dfbe2b954d539.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.98962170568c7b36bb42e4abc83e247d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ebbcc3ccb802848f3c4c10e9659ec545.jpeg

image.jpeg

Damn nice haul!!!!!  Thanks for sharing.  Sucks about the one that got away but these are all really nice catches.

Haven't fished Matagorda Bay in a while, but Norton Tequila Sunrise was a good go to bait then. Fish it high and slow with a long pump and short pause. That's been deadly on specks and reds in the Galveston Bay area for quite a while and I expect it still is. Captain Sweeny probably has a newer hot bait but I'd still stick a couple in my pocket. 

I'm excited for you. Hope the weather cooperates. 

Hint: Bite a small chunk out of the top of the bait just in front of the tail. Makes the tail thinner and gives it more action. 

Aaron, if you can find a copy of the local paper, it should have a fishing report, yes?  Ours used to. 

I believe the Corpus Christi Caller always had fishing reports from Matagorda Bay. I don’t know the name of the Victoria paper, but they should, just don’t know if they have a daily paper. 

Have a great trip! 

One of the best times I ever had was when the company I worked for sent me and a small group of my associates to a cabin just south of Lake Charles, La. We split into a couple of groups, each with a guide. We baited up with shrimp and three hours later I had my limit of 50 (over 18") beautiful Speckled Trout. We cleaned them up, put them on ice, and carried them home on the flight the next day.

They brought in a chef from N'Awlins who made the most incredible crawfish enchiladas.

I'd love to go after some speckled trout again.