Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree that Black Lives Matter, but in a larger context, who will disagree with me when I say that All Lives Matter?   Because I am not black, but a different race, does my life matter less? Mar

WTF Virtue signaling is getting out of hand. I hope we don’t cave-in to it.

Primal Defense, I can’t say I am offended. I know that I am intelligent.  I am somewhat disappointed in your approach.  If they wanted to say Black Lives Matter, Too!, then that’s what they shoul

Posted Images

Honestly, the renaming of buildings, replacement of statues, and more diversity in the HOF are all pretty easy fixes and I completely understand the change. In fact I was shocked that nothing has been named after Julius Whittier. That man is a true Longhorn Legend

Also I have no idea of what .5% of the budget means in terms of dollars.But I don't know how well that is going to go over with the higher ups. They are huge on keeping the money for themselves. But I sure there is something they can get behind donating too or have donors donate to in the players honor.

The Eyes of Texas is going to be the biggest pushback. It is 100+ year old tradition that people truly love. I don't know the context with how it was written but I can see why some people could think it sounds racist. I'd rather do something with educating the students and athletes behind the meaning of the song than actually change it. 

I dont know Julius Whittier, but very well aware of who he was, but to single him out and not acknowledge the other black athletes is not the type of thing he would probably condone....Changing the names on buildings is another case of political correctness run amok and revisionist history...singling out the Eyes of Texas as somehow having racial overtones is absurd, no one is forcing anyone to sing the song, if you are offended by it then maybe you need to look at going to another school or burn your UT diploma. the University of Texas 2020 is not the UT of the yesteryear and to adjust its standards to appease the current political climate of the week is an insult to all those that came before them

10 minutes ago, Hiwood said:

I dont know Julius Whittier, but very well aware of who he was, but to single him out and not acknowledge the other black athletes is not the type of thing he would probably condone....Changing the names on buildings is another case of political correctness run amok and revisionist history...singling out the Eyes of Texas as somehow having racial overtones is absurd, no one is forcing anyone to sing the song, if you are offended by it then maybe you need to look at going to another school or burn your UT diploma. the University of Texas 2020 is not the UT of the yesteryear and to adjust its standards to appease the current political climate of the week is an insult to all those that came before them

Excellent post

The way I understand it, Robert E Lee once said to his classes "The eyes of the South are upon you." Someone from Texas was in one of his classes and eventually used the line to "The Eyes of Texas."

They are totally different meanings and there is nothing racist in the song itself.

The fact that the Texas Cowboys once sung the song is irrelevant to me. Hitler once sang Amazing Grace but we still sing it out loud.

So it's guilt by association, which truly isn't fair.

Those who put away their history are destined to repeat it.

36 minutes ago, Coot said:

Perhaps the school song should be determined by a vote of the student body.

I'm thinking it was 100 years ago. And here is a BIG issue, the younger people are completely irreverent of what was determined before their time. Applying their own standards to a time they don't understand. 

What's next? Take away "Texas" "Fight" because Texas fought for the south? 

I think saying "they don't understand" is a bit naive.  I believe they are well aware of the history of the U.S.  They have generations that have lived it and have passed knowledge down.  Kudos to the players for requesting changes and kudos to CDC for making a positive statement about it.  At least he is willing to listen.  Reading his twitter, that is a pattern that I've seen from him.

1 hour ago, Rotty22 said:

I think saying "they don't understand" is a bit naive.  I believe they are well aware of the history of the U.S.  They have generations that have lived it and have passed knowledge down.  Kudos to the players for requesting changes and kudos to CDC for making a positive statement about it.  At least he is willing to listen.  Reading his twitter, that is a pattern that I've seen from him.

I don't have an issue with all but 2 of their demands as I understand it. The "Eyes of Texas" thing has me, for lack of a better term, freaked out. By saying they don't understand, I mean that they can't comprehend what was in the mind of the people or person who wrote and promoted "The Eyes Of Texas" 100 years ago. I'll ask the question again, were Earl and Vince upset or uneasy because they were required to sing the song? If not, what has changed since then? And why didn't they speak out? They were legends and respected among most Texas fans

UT can take rename Robert Lee Moore Hall as far as I'm concern. He's a no brainer.

Moore's record as a teacher of mathematics has been tarnished by his attitude towards black students, which modern sources have called racist.[3][4] Most of Moore's career was spent in a racially segregated part of the United States. African-American students were prohibited from even enrolling at the University of Texas until the late 1950s,[5] and Moore himself was strongly in favor of segregation.[6][7][8][9] After the University of Texas began admitting African-American students, he refused to allow them into his classes, even for mathematics graduate students such as Vivienne Malone-Mayes.[3][4][7][8] He told another African-American mathematics student, Walker E. Hunt, "you are welcome to take my course but you start with a C and can only go down from there".[9] On one occasion he walked out of a talk by a student, his academic grandchild, after discovering that the speaker was African-American.[4][7][8]

Moore was also known for repeatedly claiming that female students were inferior to male students, and, though "less pronounced than his racism", for his antisemitism.[4] However, while Moore's racism is confirmed by several first-hand accounts of his refusal to teach African-American students, the often-repeated description of him as a misogynist and antisemite is based largely on his oral remarks. Some of the sources reporting these remarks, such as Mary Ellen Rudin, also point out that in fact he encouraged females who showed mathematical talent and that he had Jewish students, such as Edwin E. Moise (who was asked about Moore's anti-Semitic reputation in an interview[10]) and Martin Ettlinger, and close colleagues, such as Hyman J. Ettlinger.  His encouragement of Rudin and other female students is documented[11] and between 1949 and 1970 (the earliest period when national data are known) 4 of Moore's 31 doctoral students (13%) were female, while nationally 175 were female out of 2646 doctoral graduates in mathematics and statistics (7%).[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lee_Moore

I agree that Black Lives Matter, but in a larger context, who will disagree with me when I say that All Lives Matter?   Because I am not black, but a different race, does my life matter less?

Marquez’s letter was very well written; however, the ideas sound like those of a collective group that simply threw every idea out, and he included all on the list. 

I realize that our athletes sacrifice much for our team, but gentlemen, compared to Earl Campbell, Tommy Nobis, Vince Young, James Saxton, Jimmy Street, Bob McKay, Ricky Williams, Bobby Layne, the 1969 National Championship Team, the 1970 National Championship team, the 2008 team, and the 2005 National Championship Team, and countless others, exactly what gives you the right to request that our school song be changed? It seems somewhat audacious to me.  Does your contribution matter more than theirs, do you matter more?

Did you ask them if they would like to have their school song changed?  

i realize that at your age, you think the whole world revolves around you, but it doesn’t. The University of Texas program is represented by you and all of those who came before you. Their lives and contributions matter, as well. 

In my opinion, your request to remove The Eyes is childish and meant to antagonize. It’s my school song, as well as hundreds of thousands of others. 

If you want change, negotiate, don’t threaten!

Hook ‘em!

17 hours ago, TB14 said:

Not just Marqez. Majority of the Black players on the team are tweeting it. Also members of volleyball, track, and basketball teams have already also joined.

I truly think that much of this unrest is due to the unusual circumstances we find ourselves in-limited social interaction, curtailed activities, boredom due to COVID-19 restrictions. Boredom breeds discontent. 

Heck, I’m bored and restless. 

Our irresponsible media is fueling the controversy.

1 minute ago, UTfish said:

Well said, Java! Hook'em!

I'm going fishing till everyone settles down. 

You do that!  Sounds like fun. I’m going on a heavy duty workout program. If our guys were working out as hard as they should would they have the energy?

Some of y'all may remember....most are too young to even know, but in the late 60's there was a BIG push in the student body to replace the Longhorn as the school mascot with the …..Armadillo!....I suspect if they would have allowed a student vote on the issue it would have passed easily.

Just something to think about.

50 minutes ago, java said:

I agree that Black Lives Matter, but in a larger context, who will disagree with me when I say that All Lives Matter?   Because I am not black, but a different race, does my life matter less?

I'm surprise by you Java. I thought you were more intelligent about these matters. Thing of it this way. Your using the term of Black Lives Matters by putting only in front of Black Lives Matters. They are not saying only Black Lives Matters. 

They are saying Black Live Matters too. If you want to use Black Live Matters the way is meant to is to add the too

That tweet is damn near extortion (def: the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats). Before you accuse me of "white privilege" please note that I have more minority blood in me than Caucasian. 

Oh well, if they cancel football I get my season ticket money back.

15 minutes ago, primal defense said:
I'm surprise by you Java. I thought you were more intelligent about these matters. Thing of it this way. Your using the term of Black Lives Matters by putting only in front of Black Lives Matters. They are not saying only Black Lives Matters. 

They are saying Black Live Matters too. If you want to use Black Live Matters the way is meant to is to add the too

Not sure that anyone on here is in a position to question someone else's intelligence. I know I'm not.

1 hour ago, java said:

I truly think that much of this unrest is due to the unusual circumstances we find ourselves in-limited social interaction, curtailed activities, boredom due to COVID-19 restrictions. Boredom breeds discontent. 

Heck, I’m bored and restless. 

Our irresponsible media is fueling the controversy.

Yeah sure it's boredom. It may also have to do with a person who is no danger to anyone having a knee on neck for eight minutes and forty six seconds till he's dead might have something to do with this.

10 hours ago, Baron said:

I don't have an issue with all but 2 of their demands as I understand it. The "Eyes of Texas" thing has me, for lack of a better term, freaked out. By saying they don't understand, I mean that they can't comprehend what was in the mind of the people or person who wrote and promoted "The Eyes Of Texas" 100 years ago. I'll ask the question again, were Earl and Vince upset or uneasy because they were required to sing the song? If not, what has changed since then? And why didn't they speak out? They were legends and respected among most Texas fans

Those are valid questions.  We may hear from them in the near future.

10 hours ago, Baron said:

Freaks me out a little as well.

For starters, if the current students vote I don't want a school song written by frickin Ed Sheeran.

But mainly some of these aren't things anyone was worried about until THEY WERE TOLD it's supposed to be racist and and now THEY MUST be offended. It's the difference between organic and manufactured angered. We are literally living in the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was told he must wear the ribbon. 

Some of these are understandable as celebrating people who are primarily known for racial activity should NOT be celebrated. Some are getting thrown under the bus just because they lived during tumultuous times. But was anyone upset by some of these things prior than two minutes ago?...No. We're in the process of just looking for things to be upset about. It's a mob mentality.

The thing that freaks me out is how far will it go? How much must be torn down before everyone is happy? The problem with mob mentality is that the answer is always 'not enough yet'. 

Manny Acho has a great video on uncomfortable racial conversations. Everyone should watch it if they haven't yet. He does a fantastic job of explaining the struggles he has had even as a successful black man. When I watched the video I knew he'd immediately left the world of sports commentary and become a legit social leader. 

We need to arrive at a place where we can have 2-way conversations. It's not about telling people how they should feel, but asking them if these are things that really fall into the realm of providing a feeling of continued racial oppression. There are things of real social value that just happened to exist in a time of racial tensions or customs/traditions that we now look down upon. These things have meaning to other people. Do their feelings not count anymore?

We can tear down all the statues and traditions in the country, but history will remain. History is sometimes ugly and cruel, but it's something we all share and live with to a certain degree.