Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Tlarsen

Talking Texas with 2021 Football Commit Jordon Thomas

jthomatx.jpg

The Texas Longhorns had an impressive last couple of weeks when it comes to football recruiting. Former Baylor commit and four-star cornerback Jahdae Barron flipped from Baylor to UT. The move bumped the Longhorns past Florida to give them the eighth best-recruiting class for 2020 via 247Sports.

Tom Herman’s program also landed three-star tight end Landen King and four-star pass rusher Jordon Thomas in the 2021 class. King and Thomas became the first recruits in the class to commit to UT since five-star athlete Ja’Tavion Sanders did back in September of last year.

Most notably Thomas becomes the second true defensive commit for the 2021 class, joining outside linebacker and fellow four-star commit Derrick Harris Jr.

“UT felt like family,” Thomas said.

Thomas hails from Port Arthur and plays for Memorial High School. He exploded onto the scene in his sophomore year compiling 32 tackles with five sacks. Unfortunately, he missed his entire junior season due to a lower leg injury.

“I was heartbroken,” Thomas said, reflecting on his injury.

Thomas, essentially from his sophomore year alone, has become the 36th best player in the state of Texas for the 2021 class via the 247Sports Composite. He’s also ranked as the 15th best Weak-Side defensive end via the same rankings.

What leads to all that success?

“My mindset,” Thomas said.

Thomas rehabbed that injury the entire 2019 season and has one simple goal he wants to accomplish in 2020 before setting foot in Austin.

“I want to be the defensive player of the year.”

There’s no doubt that Thomas now has a giant chip on his shoulder that he will use for motivation. Tackles and quarterbacks everywhere should be on alert.

He is excited about his commitment to the Longhorns and wants the fans to know one thing about him.

“I’m a very respectful person toward my support and the team.”