Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Big time recruiting news

• Administrators

Damn, if I dare say so, Mack is pulling some stuff out of his ass. He has always been a good recruiter but even at the end of the rope he is still grinding. I particularly like the fact that every player they pursue isn't a 4-star guy. The recruiting paradigm has sifted considerably over the last year or two. Go Mack go.

In the last few days I have watched a replay of the 2005 National Championship, the 2009 National Championship loss to Alabama and the 2004 win over Michigan in the Rose Bowl. The Common denominator was talent.

The three teams produced 2 NFL starting QB's, 2 starting RB's, 2 starting TE's, too many DB's to count, 2 kickers, an all pro LB'er, and lots of role players.

These last few years Mack and his staff have gotten lazy and it has shown. This past draft 2 Longhorns drafted and only one in the first round. So I'm glad the team is looking at 4 star or better, but we are still losing the elite athlete because this team is not elite, and hasn't been so in a long time.

I hope the kids sign with Texas but I can hardly get excited when every week we lose another recruit to Agie. That will change when the perception of UT changes, and we are not close to that...yet..

I get what you're saying Beev, but like I've said before, winning the recruiting paper championship doesn't produce wins on the field. The 4 and 5 star guys we have gotten in the past haven't gotten it done for whatever reason. Maybe its a good thing we're taking the high 3 and low (for now anyway) 4 star guys that are hungrier and will work harder.

Don't forget, aggy went 11-2 in the SEC and whipped the living shit out of OU in the Cotton Bowl with a roster full of 2-4 star guys last year.

The Aggies got lucky with Manziel. Nobody knew how great he was and he just blossomed at the right time.

Texas had the opposite happen. They went all in on Garrett Gilbert, who was recruited by everyone, and it set this program back for years. It's a case study in how the wrong evaluation can destroy a program.

But my main problem with Mack is his refusal to play the young guys. McCoy and Brewer should be benched and encouraged to transfer, but it won't happen. I hope I am wrong but I also believe we will be here next year talking of the great strides Ash has made from last year.

The problem, the recruits know it's bullshit. They have watched Johnny Football beat Bama and watched Ash shit his pants against Kansas. Ash has been here all these games and not one time has he stepped up against major competition.

Against OU last season..Ash was 13-29 for 113 yards and 2 ints..zero td's

Against TCU he was 10-21 for 104 yards and 2 ints..zero td's

He played pretty well against WVU, didn't play against KSU and had a couple of td's and an int against OSU.

In three of Texas' losses, Ash threw 3 td's and 5 ints. I have zero faith in him as a QB, yet he is more entrenched than he was last season? Mack and his crew have lost my confidence they can evaluate talent. They don't have a clue how to think outside the box and their answer was to make Johnny Football and RGIII defensive back.

SMH..

• Administrators

Some of these kids on the recruiting trail for Texas are high 2-star and 3 star rated kids. The 3 star kids are hungry - Double meat Whataburger-style hungry. We need to follow the talent and hunger - not the almighty rankings.

The Aggies got lucky with Manziel. Nobody knew how great he was and he just blossomed at the right time.

Texas had the opposite happen. They went all in on Garrett Gilbert, who was recruited by everyone, and it set this program back for years. It's a case study in how the wrong evaluation can destroy a program.

But my main problem with Mack is his refusal to play the young guys. McCoy and Brewer should be benched and encouraged to transfer, but it won't happen. I hope I am wrong but I also believe we will be here next year talking of the great strides Ash has made from last year.

The problem, the recruits know it's bull$#@!. They have watched Johnny Football beat Bama and watched Ash $#@! his pants against Kansas. Ash has been here all these games and not one time has he stepped up against major competition.

Against OU last season..Ash was 13-29 for 113 yards and 2 ints..zero td's

Against TCU he was 10-21 for 104 yards and 2 ints..zero td's

He played pretty well against WVU, didn't play against KSU and had a couple of td's and an int against OSU.

In three of Texas' losses, Ash threw 3 td's and 5 ints. I have zero faith in him as a QB, yet he is more entrenched than he was last season? Mack and his crew have lost my confidence they can evaluate talent. They don't have a clue how to think outside the box and their answer was to make Johnny Football and RGIII defensive back.

SMH..

Perfectly said! I don't read any reports that have to do with Ash anymore... The propaganda machine is constantly pumping out "why Ash is the best QB in the Big 12" bullshit and "Ash has really come on in spring ball" crap. Who in the wide world of sports believes this to be even remotely true... So many reports citing his numbers when all you have to do is watch the games to know that he is a garbage QB. Talent evaluation and player development are absolutely the two biggest and baddest problems.

We, also, aren't seeking 2 and 3 star talent because that is what we would prefer. We are seeking that because we have lost the ability to reel in high 4 and 5 stars. I don't put a ton of value in the star rating system and I do believe that mid to high 3 stars will be more hungry and want to work harder. However, there isn't a program in the country that doesn't want 5 star talent. I am all for the best man for the job...