Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Tlarsen

Talking Texas with 2020 Soccer Commit Kelsey Hranicky

kelshran_UTcom20.jpg

In November of last year, the University of Texas announced seven new recruits for the women’s soccer program.

The program was established in 1993 as part of the Title IX Settlement. Since then, they hold claim to one regular-season conference championship (2001) and back-to-back conference tournament championships (2006-2007). 

In an effort to get back to Big-12 glory the Longhorns have recruited some of the state’s best women’s soccer stars to play in Austin. Among them is one of the best midfielders in the country, Kelsey Hranicky.

Hranicky attended Memorial High School in Houston, Texas and plays for the Albion Hurricanes club team. Hranicky helped lead Memorial to a 6A state championship and an undefeated season as a sophomore. In her junior year, en route to a second consecutive district title, she led her district with 26 goals and 31 assists on the season.

What leads to her success? “Consistency,” Hranicky said.

As a sophomore, Hranicky was first-team all-district and second-team all-state. In her junior season, she improved to All-State and All-American status.

Hranicky also led the Albion Hurricanes to a North American Cup Championship in 2019.

“I chose UT because of the combination of great education and great athletics. I also liked the environment on campus and that it is not too far from home,” Hranicky said on her decision to be a Longhorn.

Memorial was 19-1 this season and looked primed and ready for another state title run before the COVID-19 pandemic shut down sports across the globe. Hranicky is doing her best to stay in shape during this rough time, however.

“I have access to fields and tracks that I can run on. Also, I have a trainer who I would usually meet in a gym, but because the gym is closed we are meeting in a park and doing similar stuff,” Hranicky said.

Kelsey Hranicky joins a loaded 2020 class that also includes Texas natives Presley Echols (Highland Park) and defenders Lauren Lapomarda and Morgan Pace from Prosper and Duncanville High Schools respectively.

The 2020 class that Texas and coach Angela Kelly recruited are a good step towards ensuring Texas gets back to the forefront of the Big-12. In 2019, they went 11-8-1. In 2020, they won their only game before the season’s cancellation. In 2021, they look to build on that success with Hranicky and others.

“What fans can expect from me is really up to the coaches. I hope to make a positive impact on the team and help us win,” Hranicky said.