Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Tlarsen

Recruiting Roundup: A Look at Recent Texas Targets

1ACA3E26-D5F4-494B-9DBC-18BF47B1BB40.jpeg
Photo courtesy Greg Hammer

The University of Texas currently has six commits in the 2021 class. Denton Ryan teammates Ja’Tavion Sanders and Billy Bowman Jr, Jalen Milroe, Derrick Harris Jr. and Hayden Conner. These are all highly coveted recruits, with each carrying four-stars except for Sanders, who holds a five-star rating.

Recently, Tom Herman and company extended offers to multiple 2021 and 2022 athletes in the hopes of bolsetring each class to keep the Longhorns in the thick of things from a recruiting perspective. While COVID-19 has put the world on hold, the Texas football staff remain very active in their recruiting efforts.  Here are some players Texas has recently reached out to.

2021 Offers

Nathaniel Wiggins, Athlete, Westlake High School – Wiggins is a 6’2” 170-pound athlete from Westlake High School in Athens, Georgia. He recently announced his top-10 which included SEC powerhouses LSU, Auburn, and Florida among others. Texas, however, made its offer after Wiggins released his top-10. Wiggins is a 4-star recruit via the 247Sports Composite and the 11th best athlete in the 2021 class via those rankings.

Kelvin Gilliam, Defensive End, Highland Springs High School – Another Virginia product that Texas extended an offer to is Highland Springs Defensive End, Kelvin Gilliam. Gilliam anchors the defense on one of the most dominant teams in Virginia. The Springers won four consecutive state championships from 2015-2018.

Gilliam is a 4-star recruit via the 247Sports Composite and holds well over 30 division 1 offers.

“It’s always a blessing but it’s just a result of all the hard work I put in,” Gilliam said of all the attention he’s receiving.

Gilliam is also a hybrid defender he can play down low in the trenches yet also step back to be a lethal linebacker. The 4th best player in Virginia for 2021 is coming off an all-state season in 2019 for the Springers.

“I work at least every day to perfect things that can help me with my game,” Gilliam said on his success.

Gilliam listed his top-15 on March 19th yet Texas made an offer after that date. Gillium still has his senior season to look forward to and has one thing on his mind for it.

“I want to win another state championship.”

Michael Myslinski, OC, Bishop Kenny High School – Some of the most underrated guys on a football team are the freaks of nature that make up the offensive line. They’re absolutely vital to the success of any team, yet hardly get any of the credit. Texas is in great position to land the Brockermeyer boys, but they have also made an offer to 3-star recruit Michael Myslinski.

The Florida native currently attends Bishop Kenny High School in Jacksonville, Florida and currently holds offers from Texas, Oregon, Michigan State, and Iowa among others.

“It’s an honor to receive so many offers lately. Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to play college football so it’s a dream come true,” Myslinski said on receiving so many offers.

Football runs deep in the Myslinski family as his dad and brother both played with the former playing at the NFL level.

“I contribute my success to my dad and brother. My dad played in the NFL for nine years and has taught me everything about the game as well as my brother who played at Air Force. My dad and brother are both strength and conditioning coaches as well so they both train me at an elite level.”

Tom Myslinski, Michael’s dad, played college ball at Tennessee before being selected in the fourth round by the Dallas Cowboys. He is currently the strength and conditioning coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Don’t expect Myslinki to make a decision immediately as the COVID-19 pandemic has reinforced his need to make a thorough decision in the recruiting process.

“I would like to visit the schools that have offered me before I make a decision.”

Deuce Harmon, Cornerback, Guyer High School – Harmon is one of the top corners in the state of Texas. As a junior Harmon led the Guyer defense to a 6A D2 State Championship appearance. He shut down opposing wide receivers, leading Guyer in interceptions and passes defended with two and 10 respectively.

After his incredible year Harmon is now a 4-star recruit via the 247Sports Composite. He ranks in the top 20 at his position and top 50 in the state of Texas for the 2021 class.

I just want to be the best I can be in everything I do,” Harmon said on his success.

Harmons’ teammate and quarterback, Eli Stowers is one of the top prospects in the state as well and has already committed to Texas A&M. Harmon still has one more year at the Denton powerhouse and is looking forward to perfecting his craft.

“Be a better player than I am today and become a student of the game.”

Jamier Johnson, Cornerback, John Muir High School – Although Texas offered a scholarship to this California native back in February, two days ago Johnson announced his top seven. The list included Texas, Nebraska, USC, Ohio State, Arizona State, Colorado, and Oregon.

The 4-star recruit via the 247Sports Composite is a top 25 player in California for 2021. As a junior, he recorded nearly 30 tackles with four interceptions, a forced fumble, a blocked kick and accounted for over 300 total yards on offense.

UT only signed one out of state recruit in 2020. Johnson could be the first for 2021.

2022 Offers 

Jyaire Brown, Cornerback, Warren Easton High School – While it is expected that Brown stays in the state of Louisiana or goes elsewhere in SEC, Texas recently threw an offer at this 4-star recruit.

Brown, who plays football out of Warren Easton High School in New Orleans, helped his team reach an 11-4 record. The Eagles made a run all the way to the Class 4A State Championship game where they lost by one point to Edna Karr High School.

Brown is ranked as the best cornerback in the state of Louisiana via 247Sports. He also plays ball for the Louisiana Bootleggers, a travel team coached by former LSU Tiger, Ryan Clark.

Jaheim Singletary, Cornerback, Robert E. Lee High School – Another 4-star out of state recruit whom Texas made a recent offer to is Robert E. Lee High School’s Jaheim Singletary. Singletary is regarded as one of the best cornerbacks in the country as he’s the 15th best rated prospect in the 247Sports 2022 rankings.

Singletary, in his first two seasons, has recorded seven interceptions, 14 passes defended, 74 total tackles and recovered two fumbles. He led Lee to the regional finals last year of the class 6A state playoffs and a 9-4 record on the year.

Florida as of now is viewed by many as the favorite to land Singletary’s services.

Jaylin Marshall, Safety, Hallandale High School – Another Florida defender that Texas offered is a 3-star recruit out of Florida, Jaylin Marshall.

Marshall is a 6’3” safety from Hallandale High School and currently holds offers from Texas, Auburn, and Duke among others. 

Marshall played his sophomore year at Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna Prep where they went 12-2 and have won three state championships in a row. He will be playing his junior season at Hallandale High School.

Terrance Gibbs, Running Back, The Masters’ Academy (FL) – The University of Texas has a great history of recruiting top talent at the running back position, stretching from Earl Campbell to Ricky Williams, to the top-running back recruit in the 2020 class, Bijan Robinson. To keep that streak going they’ve recently reached out to another Florida prospect, 4-star Terrance Gibbs.

Gibbs already holds offers from Miami, Florida and Florida State but Texas threw its hat into the mix. Gibbs has been playing on varsity for The Masters’ Academy since a freshman. In his two seasons, he ran the ball for nearly 2,600 yards for over 10 yards a carry and 38 rushing touchdowns.

Gibbs can do it all as he’s also compiled 40 tackles and an interception on defense as well as averaging seven points a game on the basketball court. Gibbs helped run his team to an SSAC state championship in 2019.

Cyrus Moss, Outside Linebacker, Bishop Gorman High School – The first of two offers sent to 2022 Bishop Gorman High School graduates in Las Vegas, Nevada is outside linebacker, Cyrus Moss. Moss is 6’5” 200 pounds and is rated as the best player in the state of Nevada for 2022. 

As a sophomore, he racked up close to 50 tackles with three and a half sacks and seven tackles for a loss with a couple of passes defended. Moss helped Bishop Gorman go 11-2 and an NIAA 4A state championship appearance where they fell to Liberty in overtime. His defense only let up 10 points a game on average.

Zion Branch, Safety, Bishop Gorman High School – Cyrus Moss’ teammate who also received a UT offer is safety, Zion Branch. The Las Vegas native is also a 4-star recruit and is the third-ranked player in Nevada for 2022.

Branch as a sophomore piled up nearly 30 tackles with five interceptions and a blocked kick. He currently holds offers from USC, Auburn, Georgia, Penn St. and Texas among others.

Harold Perkins, Outside Linebacker, Cypress Park – The second Texan on this list is Cy Park’s, Harold Perkins. The outside linebacker is currently unranked on 247Sports’ rankings, but holds offers from major power-5 powerhouses such as Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, and Texas among others.

He was named the District 14-6A Defensive Newcomer of the year as a sophomore, and the 6’2” linebacker put up a stat line of 46 tackles, four sacks and an interception that was returned for a touchdown for Cypress Park. He also had 268 rushing yards on just 31 carries with four catches for 71 yards. Expect Perkins to become one of the better players in the state of Texas as he still has two more years at Cypress Park before he graces division one football.

Shazz Preston, Wide Receiver, St. James High School – Texas has also reached out to one of the best wide receivers in 2022, Louisiana’s Shazz Preston. Preston played his sophomore season for the undefeated St. James Wildcats. He led the team in every key statistic on the receiving end with 63 catches for 1,018 yards and nine touchdowns.

Preston is rated as the best player in the state of Louisiana and top ten for his position via 247Sports. LSU is considered to be the favorite along with Mississippi State, where his brother Shawn plays. Preston also holds offers from Alabama, Auburn, and Texas among others.

Preston is a two-sport athlete who also competes in the 200-meter dash and long jump among other events in Track and Field.

Ephesians Prysock, Safety, Bishop Alemany High School – Ephesians Prysock is another safety that UT has reached out too. Prysock is a 6’3” California native who attends Bishop Alemany High School.

He’s currently received eight offers from the likes of Texas, Florida, LSU, Notre Dame, Oregon State, Boston College, Oklahoma, and USC.

“I feel blessed to receive these offers, and it’s a blessing for my family. Each offer I get makes me want to work harder to get more,” Prysock said.

As a sophomore Prysock compiled 43 tackles whilst catching 15 passes for nearly 200 yards and a touchdown.

“The people I have in my life continue to push me. My dad, who is like my trainer and older brothers, helps to keep me going strong,” Prysock said on his success.

Prysock has two more years left at Bishop Alemany and before committing he has one thing on his mind.

“Before committing I want to win a national championship for my high school.”

Kamari Ramsey, Safety, Sierra Canyon High School – Another California safety to receive a UT scholarship offer is Sierra Canyon’s Kamari Ramsey. Ramsey is ranked as the ninth-best player in California for 2021 via 247Sports. 

Ramsey has received 14 offers already. He’s received offers from Texas, Arkansas, Washington, and Oregon State most recently.

In his two seasons at Sierra Canyon, he’s made 175 tackles with five interceptions and 22 passes defended.