Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

🎶 The Official HornSports Music Thread

Since all games and athletic events/competitions are on hold, this is a great time to share music.  

What is everyone listening to these days?  I go back between old and new, all genres.  

Here’s what I’ve been listening to a lot of lately (Sugar).

I'm learning that stuff I hated in my younger days is more appealing to me now. For one, country 🤐

And what I think is new that I like, ends up being several years to more than a decade old. 🤫

38 minutes ago, Aaron Carrara said:

I’m still tied to my high school/college years and the music that made an impact on me then.

Spent a lot of time in Sound Exchange in college.  Anyone remember this place at 21st & Guadalupe?

8650356C-4C7F-4143-B531-042754BBA63D.jpeg

Inner Sanctum record store was always a good stop near campus. Sound exchange was one of my stops as well.

1 hour ago, Aaron Carrara said:

Since all games and athletic events/competitions are on hold, this is a great time to share music.  

What is everyone listening to these days?  I go back between old and new, all genres.  

Here’s what I’ve been listening to a lot of lately (Sugar).

Cooper Blue is in my CD catalogue,  always enjoy Bob Mould’s vocals on that disc.  Never really listened to Husker Du his earlier group.

5 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Saw them at the Erwin Center the day I graduated high school.  Had a sprained ankle and had to carefully crutch down the steps to my seat.

One of the loudest concerts I ever went to. 8 rows back in front of a bank of speakers. Reunion Arena in Dallas. Before Bon Scott died.

Not to steal your thunder @Aaron Carrara. What was the loudest concert you have been to? Mine still surprises me to this day. The Outlaws and Molly Hatchett at the Moody Auditorium in the SMU campus. "Green Grass And High Tides" made my ears bleed.

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Not to steal your thunder @Aaron Carrara. What was the loudest concert you have been to? Mine still surprises me to this day. The Outlaws and Molly Hatchett at the Moody Auditorium in the SMU campus. "Green Grass And High Tides" made my ears bleed.

I spent two decades in the media and would often call in media credentials to go to concerts. Great seats. Got to take pics and sometimes meet the artists. All I had to do was write an after the fact review of the show. Great times.

I would agree that Molly Hatchett was about as loud as it gets. Pink Floyd was loud. Van Halen was loud. Scorpions were loud.

As for best overall show/performance that I saw – probably Phil Collins. He gave us more than three hours of just beautiful music, spent some time on the drums, brought the house down with "in the air tonight."

The performance I probably enjoyed the most was Don Henley's second solo tour "end of the innocence." Just a very laid back atmosphere and enjoyable show. Enjoyed seeing him on drums again.

Worst show I ever saw was Cheap Trick. Night Ranger opened for them and blew them away. And this was when CT had a hot album out, too.

Most disappointing show – Stevie Nicks. I had a HUGE crush on this woman for so long and was very excited to see her live and from three rows back, in the middle.

Wrong. I was surrounded by, um, certain types of fans of Stevie Nicks and Stevie Nicks came out looking like Butkus. She was huge. I lost my crush the moment she came out. lol

8 hours ago, Baron said:

Fugazi at Liberty Lunch in the early 90’s. Punk band and I was right in front of the speakers in stage.  Couldn’t hear for days after that.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:06 AM, Aaron Carrara said:

Fugazi at Liberty Lunch in the early 90’s. Punk band and I was right in front of the speakers in stage.  Couldn’t hear for days after that.

Green Day at Emo’s in a tiny back room was super loud.  Black Francis at Liberty Lunch probably caused some hearing loss in my left ear as I was on the left side near the speaker.  I think Aaron is my target audience with music here as we are close in age is my guess.  

Just got back from 311 day in Las Vegas. Great time. 311 is celebrating 30 years.

Also, The Tragically Hip - RIP Gord Downie, Canadian Band that used to come through Austin a bit. Great stuff!

Kaleo - just released a new album. Really liked their first one.

Rev. Horton Heat - Awesome guitarist.

To mix it up a bit... Diplo's Revolution on SiriusXM... EDM stuff.

On 3/16/2020 at 11:35 AM, longhorndon said:

Just got back from 311 day in Las Vegas. Great time. 311 is celebrating 30 years.

Also, The Tragically Hip - RIP Gord Downie, Canadian Band that used to come through Austin a bit. Great stuff!

Kaleo - just released a new album. Really liked their first one.

Rev. Horton Heat - Awesome guitarist.

To mix it up a bit... Diplo's Revolution on SiriusXM... EDM stuff.

Used to listen to the Tragically Hip back in college. Lead singer had a unique voice.  And who doesn't love the Heat?  Full Custom Gospel Sounds of...  is still a classic.

On 3/13/2020 at 9:45 PM, drgilbert said:

AC/DC Back in Black is always a winner

I saw AC/DC, with Bon Scott, in Houston when they were a warmup band for Journey. A group called New England opened the show that night.

I saw Van Halen at The Dillo in July 77, packed and hot.

6 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

I saw AC/DC, with Bon Scott, in Houston when they were a warmup band for Journey. A group called New England opened the show that night.

I saw Van Halen at The Dillo in July 77, packed and hot.

I saw Van Halen when they opened up for Black Sabbath. Saw Sabbath twice. Once with Ozzy and then with Dio.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:06 AM, Aaron Carrara said:

It's funny how we all called it punk back then, but now it sounds normal or main stream (although it still sounds weird to me).

17 hours ago, Baron said:

I saw Van Halen when they opened up for Black Sabbath. Saw Sabbath twice. Once with Ozzy and then with Dio.

If you saw Van Halen open for Black Sabbath in Austin, I was there also. I was a big Black Sabbath fan in the day but they weren't very good for that show.

4 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

If you saw Van Halen open for Black Sabbath in Austin, I was there also. I was a big Black Sabbath fan in the day but they weren't very good for that show.

No, I saw them in Dallas. Damn good show, wasn't it.

4 hours ago, Baron said:

No, I saw them in Dallas. Damn good show, wasn't it.

Van Halen yes, Sabbath not so much. Guess it was an off night for the boys. This from a person who is a bigger Sabbath fan than a Van Halen fan.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:36 PM, Baron said:

I saw the Outlaws open for Lynyrd Skynyrd at the old Palmer Auditorium in 76.   This was a year before the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash.  For the last song of Lynyrd Skynyrd's encore, the Outlaws came out on stage and both groups played Green Grass and High Tides.  With all of those guitars on stage together,  my ears are still ringing.